HD-Questions (New TV Help)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ike, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm looking at getting a Panasonic PT-53WX52 or a PT-53WX42 16:9 HDTV. The difference for about $100 is a screen protector and DVI input. I think the 52 maybe a little harder to find. So, I have some basic questions before I take the plunge:

1. Reading through the burn in thread in Display, I take it that if I keep contrast and brightness low, I should be fine? I have a 53" 4:3 Hitachi HD that I used to play video games on-the Panny wouldn't be more susceptible to burn in, would it? Grey bars are unlikely to burn in, also, so I take it?

2. How big a deal is a screen protector? How big a deal is DVI input?

3. I have Digital Cable, and currently they only offer one channel in HD (HBO). How would a decoder hook up? DVI? Is HBO HD broadcast in widescreen? Would I not be able to hook an antenna up to the decoder they give me, and get OTA in HD?

4. Any opinions on the TV's I'm looking at? My budget's right at $1500. I read some opinions via search, and they seem to be generally thumbs up, with the reservations going towards the cheap cabinets and how much tweaking is involved, correct?

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

May 8, 2003
    1) As long as you're reasonable in your settings and the length of time you play video games, you'll be fine.

2) I'm not sure of what you mean by the first thing, but a DVI input will help to insure you're somewhat futureproof, and you could also use it to hook up a computer.

3) Digital HD boxes usually hookup with component, though I know there's at least one that hooks up with DVI (depends on your cable company). Your cable company might also carry local channels in HD.