What's new

Panic In The Streets - A Short Review (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
This film was not at the top of my list for releases during March but after watching part of it last night I found it to be very well paced with tight direction and great performances by the actors involved. Richard Widmark is commanding in his earnst efforts to find the infected individuals - and Jack Palance was terrific as well with the supporting actors giving much added substance. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and if it had not been so late would have finished it! I look at films from this era and compared to today - well let's just say it is like night and day. I particularly liked the cover art and the included insert was a folded 4 page addition that was very thoughtful of Fox. It is one of the better ones I have seen and helps to give this dvd high marks. As for the image itself - I would give it at least an 8 out of 10 and if I compared it to say Warner's White Heat it would be around 75 to 80% in terms of overall qaulity between the two. There were speckles apparent in some night scenes but overall it looked sharp. Daylight shots had the appearance of being from a recent film. Given the lower prices we are seeing this is a bargain for what you are getting. The soundtrack is available in either Mono or Stereo - dialog and the music score sounded quite good. And as far as Special Features go there is a commentary by Authors and Historians James Ursini & Alain Silver. A Trailer is also included. This film is a definite addition for anyone who appreciates filmaking.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I love this film. It is great little film. I've owned this on Laserdisc & my DVD will arrive this week. I'm thrilled that it has a commentary. That is the one extra that interests me the most. They don't make them like this anymore which is why the overwhelming majority of DVDs that I buy are catalog titles, not the crap that makes up new theatrical releases these days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the dvd on Friday and thought the video presentation was very good. The film itself has some very strong acting. As mentioned in the commentary, this film was very important in Kazan's career as it became a crossover film for him.

Crawdaddy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Widmark is always worth watching - he always gave a good or great performance and this film is no exception. A landmark Noir. I am so glad that Fox has put together a fine package.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Speckles! Oh, no, not speckles! :D

While not quite a sharp as Laura, I thought it a splendid transfer - the film still packs a considerable wallop. Kazan's direction is top-notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks