What's new

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK (1 Viewer)

oakleaf

Auditioning
Real Name
Mick Petzold
Hi, I'm new to flat-screen HDTV. I'm looking for 50" and found the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK shipped for $1900, includes the 5-yr warranty. Is this a good deal? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mick

This sounds like a good deal...this may not be from an authorized dealer...if that is the case, you won't get the factory warranty...you probably don't need an extended warranty at all...also, this is a commercial model, probably without speakers...a lot of people buy these, however, the 5060U is the more popular consumer model...I would not be comfortable buying from an unauthorized dealer. Who is the seller? Try to check their reputation...also, Amazon.com has the consumer version for $2110 delivered...you should also check with Forum sponser TVA...

Happy New Year

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The TH-50PH9UK has a fantastic picture when fed a high quality source. Keep in mind that this set has no tuner, and that you will need to purchase an HDMI blade.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I've seen the newer model in 42" and B&Ms for as low as $1250. That seems like a lot for an extra 8".

Great TV. I almost bought it.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The PH9 series displays do have fantastic pictures, though, and yes, you may also be hit on getting an input card for it, though. I can't remember the default inputs on the box...

Leo

oakleaf

Auditioning
Real Name
Mick Petzold
Thanks for the responses! I have ordered it along with the HDMI blade. No B&M's around here come close to that price. I did purchase an ATSC tuner (Samsung DTB-H260F) that will plug into the HDMI blade. Also purchased a Panamax PRO filter/surge protector. and Logitech 880 remote. I have a Pioneer DV-578A DVD player for now which will get plugged into the component inputs. Great for my DVD-A's and SACD's.

For audio, my receiver will remain an NAD T-751, with Odyssey amp for fronts (can run my Odyssey pre and Ah Tjoeb! CD player through then), and an old Perreaux 1150B amp driving my DIY Shiva subs. All speakers are DIY (Scanspeak mids with Dynaudio tweets).

Supposedly this Logitech 880 remote will be able to operate/simplify control of all these units working together. Per their website it can. I'm looking forward to getting it all together and playing that first movie, whatever it may be!

Thanks to all again!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
make sure you purchase from a company that has a "zero dead pixel" policy
regards
Gregg

oakleaf

Auditioning
Real Name
Mick Petzold
Gregg,

Won't the warranty cover dead pixels? BTW, looked at your website, nice system! How do you like the sonotubes?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
no, the manufacturers warranty on pixels requires a certain number in a certain space. it sucks.

I saw this same model for $1800 or $1900 in a local store last week.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
no, warranty will not cover the dead pixels.

The sono tubes were awesome (for its time). The pics on the site are 5 -6 years old....Ive been upgrading since then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks