What's new

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK what can it do? (1 Viewer)

I just got hold of a Panasonic Th-50PH9UK for $1200 and at that price, HAD TO take it. It does 1366x768 max resolution and on their site they specify it can handle practically every video res. 480p/i, 720p/i, 1080p/i. But I am unsure whether it really does do 1080p, wouldn't tru 1080p need to be 1920x1080?

reason I ask this is that the new PS3 is out tomorrow and if your tv can't do 1080p, some of the games will get converted down to 480p, which would kill the graphics of the game, I'm hoping I am ok with my Panasonic, but I'm a little unsure about what specs say the tv can do and what it actually can do. Can anyone help? Here is a link to the TV specs.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=TH-50PH9UK

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
That Panny is a 720p set....it can't do 1080p.Looks like it can ACCEPT a 1080p signal, but it certainly can't display it.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It is not a 720P set ... it is a 1366x768 panel which is none of the above. Signals are either scaled up to fit the panel or scaled down.

Regards

I actually need it to only do 720p for the PS3. Will that fly? When you talk about upscaling or downscaling, is that something the TV will do once it sees what signal is coming in or is there something else I will need?

Also, was $1200 a good price for this unit? Thanks!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
If you dont mind me asking, does that price include any additional blades, speakers, or a stand? I am looking at that set myself, and I've watched it drop in price over the past month or two. I'd need to add one HDMI blade and the table top stand, which would add a few hundred to the price, but still one helluva deal. I dont really need it to have a tuner, so that's no biggie.

Did you buy it online? Should be one helluva nice tv for ya!

I'm not quite ready to buy yet, but I figure for me it'll come down to either the Pioneer 5070 or the Panny 9UK that you got. I'm planning to add a 1080p projector too, so being able to get that Panny for a steal is very appealing.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

720p should be fine but because there are fewer pixels to start with than what the TV has native ... it has to create the missing detail out of nothing ... so to speak.

Taking 1080 and throwing away information is usually much easier to fill the panel with 100% real information.

But as of right now ... no one knows how well the PS3 performs either way ...

Regards

Michael - Thanks for all the info!

Alan - I got the tv from someone who works for Panasonic and basically got it at cost, maybe even under cost cause it was used once at a show.

It does not come with the HDMI board or a stand, both would add about $350 max to the total price.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

well I'd say you got a pretty damn good deal then, Michael. The lowest I've seen that set for was $1700 and that was after a mail in rebate was figured in. I've read a few reviews on that display so I think you'll be very pleased :)

Enjoy!

Alan

Last year around Christmas time I got the 8UK from the same source for $2400 cash. That unit was brand new in box. When I heard about this 9UK for $1200 I had to take it, but that left me with two and I just didn't need the $1200 expense at this time with holidays coming and all. My wife had a friend that was shopping for plasma's and I offered my 8UK for $1200. Deal was done and I'm back to one. :-( I really wanted to keep both, but it just came at a bad time...

I'm hoping next year around this time I can move up to the 65" Panasonic Professional from the same source. I would like to get to 1920x1080 and tru HD as soon as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks