1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic Flagship 4K Blu-ray Player Coming to US?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Martin Dew, Feb 20, 2018.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Well that was easy, took less than a minute to make my order from VE. Now the waiting game...

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If your experience is like mine, it will be a short wait. I placed my order, and received a receipt and Fed Ex tracking number from VE in just a few minutes, and then another shipping notice from Fed Ex shortly thereafter. I placed my order yesterday, and according to Fed Ex it should be here tomorrow. Great turnaround time! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tino, Robert_Zohn and George_W_K like this.
  3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Sounds like it was a problem in general and I was not the only one having that weird issue with the Samsung. It will not take long before you have your player and Robert will get it shipped to you right away! I honestly feel you will be very happy with your new UB820! Congratulations :thumbsup:

I had the same experience! My player was set to arrive in California this Wednesday but ended up in my hands yesterday.

Robert_Zohn and George_W_K like this.
  4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    The 820 also has all these advantages.

The 9000 does have a better build quality than the 820 and a better backlit remote and has additional settings for 4K projectors.

Edit. Sorry Dave thought you were talking bout the 9000

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I did get the 9000 but I thought you where getting the 820. And I was talking about the 9000 in my previous post.

You getting the 820 or the 9000?

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I'm getting the 820. I wouldn't take advantage of the better audio section of the 9000, but I know the video sections are essentially the same.

Supposed to arrive Thursday, but depending on the time no one may be home. We'll see.

Tino, PMF, Robert_Zohn and 1 other person like this.
  7. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Getting my new 9000 today also from Robert at VAlue Electronics. Great service and shipping as usual. Upgrading from my awesome 820.

PMF, Robert_Zohn, Vegas 1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Scott Merryfield

My Panasonic 820 arrived safe and sound today from Value Electronics, too. Installation was quick, as I was swapping out an old Panny BD player, which used the same type of power cord. I just needed to swap HDMI cables (the BD player didn't have a certified high speed 4K cable). I already had my Harmony remote re-programmed for the new player on the app, so I just needed to sync the remote with my PC.

Now to decide which Dolby Vision title to try out this evening. I don't have too many. I haven't watched The Cabin in the Woods or Kick-Ass in awhile. We just watched 2001, Deadpool 2, The Black Panther and Saving Private Ryan not too long ago. Maybe Grease.

PMF and dpippel like this.
  9. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Do You have it hooked up directly to your tv or are you going thru a Dolby Vision capable receiver?

10. Scott Merryfield

My Denon X3300 receiver is DV-capable, so I am running everything through the avr. I do the same thing with my Apple TV 4K, which is my only other DV source component. The only downside is that the Denon's on screen display doesn't work when passing through Dolby Vision. That made it a little more cumbersome to adjust the audio delay, and the volume adjustments do not show up on my display as they do for any other material - - including HDR10.

Tino likes this.
  11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    So you experienced audio delay too then?

12. Scott Merryfield

I get that with every component I run through my Denon X3300 (with the exception of my old Oppo 980H DVD player), and the amount of delay varies with each component. The delay varies from 23ms for the Panasonic BD player I just removed to 115ms for the Apple TV 4K. The Panasonic UB820 required a 90ms delay to get it dialed in properly. Once I have the delay set for a component, though, it always stays the same (there is no drift over time), so it's only a pain in the neck when I install a new component.

Tino likes this.
  13. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    May I suggest two items to get the best results from Panasonic's UB820 and the UB9000.

1st, is to connect the Panasonic BD player directly to your TV or projector. Use HDMI output #1 for the video and HDMI output #2 for audio only to your receiver. In most cases this will not make any difference, but I just don't like any additional device in the circuit when I am streaming or playing a physical disc that has 4K HDR content.

2nd, Turn off Dolby Vision in the Panasonic player and let the UB820/UB9000 use it's built-in HDR Optimizer to tone map all HDR content. Dolby Vision does not permit any change in the file so it's best to use Panasonic's frame by frame tone mapping that is maximized for your specific display type that you preselected from Panasonic's user menu in the HDMI settings/Advanced settings/HDR Optimizer.

Once you have set the HDR Optimizer to match your display type the next step is to turn on the HDR Optimizer. This is done by holding down the HDR Settings button until you see the HDR Optimizer on/off control on your TV/Projector screen and be sure "on" is selected.

If you want to see the HDR Optimizer tone mapping results just press and hold the HDR Settings button and toggle between HDR Optimizer off and on.

avroman, John Dirk, Tino and 3 others like this.
  14. Scott Merryfield

Thanks for the suggestions, Robert. I will have to try playing a film with DV on and off to compare the results. One of the reasons I bought the UB820 was for DV support, as my Sony X800 lacks that feature (and the new X800M2 still uses Sony's clunky manual method for switching DV on/off). However, I am up for whatever gives me the best picture quality. I only have a handful of UHD discs which are DV-encoded, so the optimizer will be in use for the vast majority of my UHD discs regardless.

My plan is to use the UB820 as my primary player for all disc-based video material -- UHD, BD and SD-DVD. The Sony X800 will be demoted to the purpose of my old Panny BD player -- playing BDs of TV series we may be watching (saves on swapping discs, since I just leave the disc in the player until done with all the episodes), as well as continuing to be my primary player for SACD and DVD-Audio discs. My Oppo 980H is my secondary SACD/DVD-Audio player, as well as being used for SD-DVD TV series we may be watching.

I'm going to stick with running the player through my AVR, though. It's just so much simpler and cleaner to have a single HDMI cable running to my display, and the Denon doesn't seem to adversely affect the picture quality for any of the four 4K source components I have running through the AVR -- the UB820, Apple TV 4K, Sony X800, and Roku Ultra.

Tino and Robert_Zohn like this.
  15. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Robert are you suggesting above you get the best results by not using Dolby vision at all just HDR and the optimizer?

PMF and Robert_Zohn like this.
  16. Message #156 of 180 May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That's what he's suggesting, but with all due respect I find that in real-world application DV can often outshine HDR on some titles, HDR Optimizer or not. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a good example. The black levels on the DV encode are far better than the HDR encode on my system, no matter how things are tweaked.

PMF and Robert_Zohn like this.
  17. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    I watched that in dv with the 820 I had and agree. But curiosity peaks my interest to try Roberts suggestions ,cannot do any harm.

PMF, Scott Merryfield and Robert_Zohn like this.
  18. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Absolutely. Experimentation is part of what makes this hobby so fun. :)

PMF, Scott Merryfield and Robert_Zohn like this.
  19. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Here's why I believe the HDR tone mapping and therefore HDR image should look better when using HDR10 w/Panasonic HDR Optimizer properly set up.

1st, is when you disable Dolby Vision and use the SMPTE base layer HDR10 w/Panasonic's HDR Optimizer you are getting frame by frame peak luminance data sent to you display, which is very much like Dolby Vision reports the metadata to your display. However, one advantage is that the HDR Optimizer does an additional step that applies custom tone mapping curves that match your display's peak luminance. Dolby Vision does not do that as it does not have tone mapping capability and does not know the peak luminance of your display. If you just rely on your display's tone mapping the processor will hard clip the peak luminance highlights and reduce the color volume.

2nd, is that since only Panasonic's HDR Optimizer has specific information on your exact display type, e.g. OLED, projector, mid-luminance LCD, etc, it knows the MLL and peak luminance so it can accurately build custom tone mapping and custom EOTF PQ curves. For example if you have an OLED TV the HDR Optimizer starts the tone mapping at 0 luminance and goes up to 1,000 Nits. Dolby Vision graded HDR content is made to work with all display types.

I also like the infinite custom tone mapping curves that only Panasonic's priority HDR Optimizer can produce. This exclusive tone mapping algorithm faithfully follows the original EOTF PQ from the 4K HDR disc and 4K HDR streaming to deliver the best possible HDR/WCG image for your display that can take care of the final and minimal tone mapping that your TV or projector can easily handle.

PMF, Vegas 1, Mark McSherry and 2 others like this.
  20. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    BTW, you can easily switch the HDR Optimizer on and off to see how the image looks with it on and off.

Look forward to everyone's trying this and posting the results.

PMF and William06 like this.