What's new

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
I briefly tried switching between an early scene of Aquaman dolby vision disc With Dolby vision,hdr without optimizer, than with. I still am going through the n950 sound bar. After a few brief tries I did not see a vast difference but it might be my imagination but I think I choose the hdr with optimizer on. I made no other adjustments than turn optimizer on. The picture seams a little richer and slightly more detailed to me. I definitely need to do a lot more testing, but it piqued my interest enough too order an additional cable so tomorrow I can split the video directly into the tv and audio into my Sb. Something I never thought of without Roberts suggested use of the optimizer with the 820/9000. Even tried it with the Netflix streaming app briefly, thanks Robert something more to test and play with.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Just a quick update. I split my video and audio output from the 9000 video to tv audio to my sound bar optimizer on, I do not know if it’s placebo or what but both with Dolby vision disc (aqua man again) and Netflix I find ( never thought I would say this) the hdr with optimizer on is more pleasing. Richer,more detailed. This is just a first try I really want to review my settings for dv but so far I am pleasantly satisfied. Now I need to research small powered bookshelf speakers to take advantage of the two channel analog audio outputs for music. By the Samsung n950 for limited space in a small room is not to shabby either. Robert thanks.

By the way could anyone direct me to a pair of small nice sounding powered bookshelf speakers with or without balanced inputs. So I know where to look after my wife digests the purchase of the 9000 (lol).

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just a quick update. I split my video and audio output from the 9000 video to tv audio to my sound bar optimizer on, I do not know if it’s placebo or what but both with Dolby vision disc (aqua man again) and Netflix I find ( never thought I would say this) the hdr with optimizer on is more pleasing. Richer,more detailed. This is just a first try I really want to review my settings for dv but so far I am pleasantly satisfied. Now I need to research small powered bookshelf speakers to take advantage of the two channel analog audio outputs for music. By the Samsung n950 for limited space in a small room is not to shabby either. Robert thanks.

By the way could anyone direct me to a pair of small nice sounding powered bookshelf speakers with or without balanced inputs. So I know where to look after my wife digests the purchase of the 9000 (lol).
Does your display have different calibration settings for HDR10 and Dolby Vision? I had to calibrate for both separately, as my Vizio 4K display loads a different settings table for Dolby Vision than for everything else.

I probably will not have the time to perform a decent comparison of DV versus HDR optimizer with my UB820 for awhile, as we are pretty busy over the next week or so. For now, I am just going to enjoy using the player with different disc formats when I have the time to watch something.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Yes my display has different calibration for each input and sdr Dolby vision and hdr10 I was very happy with all until I tried Roberts suggestions. I will have to take another look at my Dolby vision settings again.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I received and connected my 820 Thursday. I haven't done any AB comparisons with my Samsung 8500, but I can say I'm pleased with the picture. I did some HDR Optimizer ON/OFF switching on different scenes from Batman V Superman and I found it interesting how some scenes have no effect, but others have noticeable changes - basically only some of the frame is adjusted and that's fascinating to me. Fire from explosions were more orange with it On, a little more detail added with energy beams, etc.

This unit boots faster, that's for sure.

It was simple to add to my Harmony Elite. I will have to add an adjustment though, the return key didn't program to the back key on the remote.
Edit: today I learned the Harmony Elite keys have short and long presses. The return key is a long press of the back key on the remote. Neat!

I like that I can see Atmos is descriptions on Netflix. However, I was having issues connecting to Netflix yesterday. Haven't tried yet today.

With the 8500, I had Atmos in the UHD Jack Ryan series, I did not with the 820 Amazon app.

I really like HDR Youtube. I streamed some nature 4k stuff I used to watch on the 8500 and the HDR version looked incredible.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Using Robert's suggestion to turn off Dolby Vision will also solve the lip-synch issues many of us are/were having. There seems to be some extra processing time with DV that requires slightly different delay settings than HDR. The same issue happens with the 4K Apple TV. I'm more than happy with the HDR Optimizer doing all the work and don't see any loss or real difference.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Just an interesting observation,it’s been a well known fact on the 820/9000;when Dolby vision is enabled on Netflix everything is in Dolby vision. What I do not recall anyone posting the same thing exists on Netflix when the units set to HDR every thing on Netflix is HDR. Only Netflix.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Kind of a newbie question on the 9000!s audio. Are you getting almost full advantage of the Panasonic’s analog 2 channel audio using the two channel rca audio outputs. Thanks for any info on this.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, when you connect any 2-channel source to the RCA or XLR stereo outputs you are using the UB9000s analog audio DAC's. The only advantage to the balanced XLR outputs would be a lower s/n ratio that would mostly benefit long cable lengths.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Just another small observation using the ub9000 prime app. When Dolby vision is off watching the only two Dolby Atmos series and movie susperia. The audio is just 5.1 but with Dv on you do get atmos audio. Netflix hdr or D.V you still get atmos when called for.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Just another small observation using the ub9000 prime app. When Dolby vision is off watching the only two Dolby Atmos series and movie susperia. The audio is just 5.1 but with Dv on you do get atmos audio. Netflix hdr or D.V you still get atmos when called for.
That's odd. My TV doesn't have DV so I guess I'm SOL on the Prime app for Atmos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Panasonic UB820 on sale now with a $51 discount. All in - double boxed and delivered Nationwide for $449.00. While supply lasts!
This is a fine deal for anyone looking for a quality UHD player. I took advantage of Value Electronics last sale for the UB820 at this price. They offer quick, free shipping, no sales tax and double box the player. The UB820 has worked without a glitch, too, since I received it a few months ago. And, no, I have no affiliation with VE -- just a satisfied customer. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a fine deal for anyone looking for a quality UHD player. I took advantage of Value Electronics last sale for the UB820 at this price. They offer quick, free shipping, no sales tax and double box the player. The UB820 has worked without a glitch, too, since I received it a few months ago. And, no, I have no affiliation with VE -- just a satisfied customer. :)
I would jump on it, but my region-free Oppo 203 players are working fine for me in my two 4K/Dolby Atmos HT setups.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would jump on it, but my region-free Oppo 203 players are working fine for me in my two 4K/Dolby Atmos HT setups.
If I had an Oppo UHD player I wouldn't have bought the Panny UB820, either. Alas, I decided to pass on their players when Oppo announced they were leaving the market. It was a tough decision, since my Oppo 980H DVD player is still going strong. The UB820 was a Dolby Vision upgrade for my Sony X800, which is still in my rack mostly as a backup and another source to play SACD and DVD-Audio material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks