1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic Flagship 4K Blu-ray Player Coming to US?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Martin Dew, Feb 20, 2018.

1. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    I briefly tried switching between an early scene of Aquaman dolby vision disc With Dolby vision,hdr without optimizer, than with. I still am going through the n950 sound bar. After a few brief tries I did not see a vast difference but it might be my imagination but I think I choose the hdr with optimizer on. I made no other adjustments than turn optimizer on. The picture seams a little richer and slightly more detailed to me. I definitely need to do a lot more testing, but it piqued my interest enough too order an additional cable so tomorrow I can split the video directly into the tv and audio into my Sb. Something I never thought of without Roberts suggested use of the optimizer with the 820/9000. Even tried it with the Netflix streaming app briefly, thanks Robert something more to test and play with.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  2. Message #162 of 181 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Just a quick update. I split my video and audio output from the 9000 video to tv audio to my sound bar optimizer on, I do not know if it’s placebo or what but both with Dolby vision disc (aqua man again) and Netflix I find ( never thought I would say this) the hdr with optimizer on is more pleasing. Richer,more detailed. This is just a first try I really want to review my settings for dv but so far I am pleasantly satisfied. Now I need to research small powered bookshelf speakers to take advantage of the two channel analog audio outputs for music. By the Samsung n950 for limited space in a small room is not to shabby either. Robert thanks.

By the way could anyone direct me to a pair of small nice sounding powered bookshelf speakers with or without balanced inputs. So I know where to look after my wife digests the purchase of the 9000 (lol).

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Does your display have different calibration settings for HDR10 and Dolby Vision? I had to calibrate for both separately, as my Vizio 4K display loads a different settings table for Dolby Vision than for everything else.

I probably will not have the time to perform a decent comparison of DV versus HDR optimizer with my UB820 for awhile, as we are pretty busy over the next week or so. For now, I am just going to enjoy using the player with different disc formats when I have the time to watch something.

4. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Yes my display has different calibration for each input and sdr Dolby vision and hdr10 I was very happy with all until I tried Roberts suggestions. I will have to take another look at my Dolby vision settings again.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  5. Message #165 of 181 May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I received and connected my 820 Thursday. I haven't done any AB comparisons with my Samsung 8500, but I can say I'm pleased with the picture. I did some HDR Optimizer ON/OFF switching on different scenes from Batman V Superman and I found it interesting how some scenes have no effect, but others have noticeable changes - basically only some of the frame is adjusted and that's fascinating to me. Fire from explosions were more orange with it On, a little more detail added with energy beams, etc.

This unit boots faster, that's for sure.

It was simple to add to my Harmony Elite. I will have to add an adjustment though, the return key didn't program to the back key on the remote.
    Edit: today I learned the Harmony Elite keys have short and long presses. The return key is a long press of the back key on the remote. Neat!

I like that I can see Atmos is descriptions on Netflix. However, I was having issues connecting to Netflix yesterday. Haven't tried yet today.

With the 8500, I had Atmos in the UHD Jack Ryan series, I did not with the 820 Amazon app.

I really like HDR Youtube. I streamed some nature 4k stuff I used to watch on the 8500 and the HDR version looked incredible.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I use the 820 soley for disc viewing. No issues so far. Thanks again @Robert_Zohn for the set up help.

I stream all my apps thru my Apple TV 4K.

7. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Using Robert's suggestion to turn off Dolby Vision will also solve the lip-synch issues many of us are/were having. There seems to be some extra processing time with DV that requires slightly different delay settings than HDR. The same issue happens with the 4K Apple TV. I'm more than happy with the HDR Optimizer doing all the work and don't see any loss or real difference.

William06 and Robert_Zohn like this.
  8. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Just an interesting observation,it’s been a well known fact on the 820/9000;when Dolby vision is enabled on Netflix everything is in Dolby vision. What I do not recall anyone posting the same thing exists on Netflix when the units set to HDR every thing on Netflix is HDR. Only Netflix.

9. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Kind of a newbie question on the 9000!s audio. Are you getting almost full advantage of the Panasonic’s analog 2 channel audio using the two channel rca audio outputs. Thanks for any info on this.

10. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    Yes, when you connect any 2-channel source to the RCA or XLR stereo outputs you are using the UB9000s analog audio DAC's. The only advantage to the balanced XLR outputs would be a lower s/n ratio that would mostly benefit long cable lengths.

George_W_K likes this.
  11. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Robert thanks for the prompt reply that’s what I was hoping. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  12. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Just another small observation using the ub9000 prime app. When Dolby vision is off watching the only two Dolby Atmos series and movie susperia. The audio is just 5.1 but with Dv on you do get atmos audio. Netflix hdr or D.V you still get atmos when called for.

George_W_K likes this.
  13. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    That's odd. My TV doesn't have DV so I guess I'm SOL on the Prime app for Atmos.

14. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    Panasonic UB820 on sale now with a $51 discount. All in - double boxed and delivered Nationwide for $449.00. While supply lasts!

PMF and Ashly Yeo like this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

This is a fine deal for anyone looking for a quality UHD player. I took advantage of Value Electronics last sale for the UB820 at this price. They offer quick, free shipping, no sales tax and double box the player. The UB820 has worked without a glitch, too, since I received it a few months ago. And, no, I have no affiliation with VE -- just a satisfied customer. :)

PMF, Robert Crawford and Robert_Zohn like this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I would jump on it, but my region-free Oppo 203 players are working fine for me in my two 4K/Dolby Atmos HT setups.

17. Scott Merryfield

If I had an Oppo UHD player I wouldn't have bought the Panny UB820, either. Alas, I decided to pass on their players when Oppo announced they were leaving the market. It was a tough decision, since my Oppo 980H DVD player is still going strong. The UB820 was a Dolby Vision upgrade for my Sony X800, which is still in my rack mostly as a backup and another source to play SACD and DVD-Audio material.

18. William06

William06 Agent

Robert mallis
    Has anyone had any playback issues with the avengers 4k disc. (Freezing or audio drops)?

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

No, but there are known quality control issues on the manufacturing for that title. Try exchanging it for a new copy.

William06 likes this.
  20. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    No problems at all on my UB9000, but as Adam said, there have been reports of defective discs.