What's new

Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E80H Grainy Picture Problem (1 Viewer)

Troy EB

Grip
I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-E80H.
When I record anything from a digital source, the recording looks perfect. When I record from analog cable and the reception is fuzzy, the DVD recorder tries to remove the fuzz or grain from the picture. I suppose the DVD recorder is automatically enhancing the picture. So, one second the scene will look grainy and the next second clear. I have been transferring some old videotapes to DVD and have the same problem. Does anyone know of any adjustment. I would rather have the recording completely grainy or completely clear, rather than constantly shifting back and forth. Please let me know if you can help me with this problem.
Thanks - Troy EB

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

That sounds more like MPEG artifacts than any sort of "enhancement". If the source is less than pristine, the E80 can't enhance it.

The one thing I can think of to try is the Video setting for "Hybrid VBR Resolution". Try changing it from "automatic" to "fixed". (You can achieve the same result by turning on "DVD-R compatible Rec" under the Disc menu.)

M.

Troy EB

Grip
Hi -
Thanks Michael for your help, but I still had no luck. I changed the Hybrid VBR Resolution to "Fixed" and turned on DVD-R Compatible Record. I am having the same problem. I am actually transferring some old videotapes to DVD now. The original tapes do not look this way, but when running through the DVD-Recorder, one scene is grainy, the next is not. It is still like some filtering is being done to the original video. Please let me know if you or anyone else has any other ideas. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks