What's new

P&S Rant (or rather, a Jane Sixpack rant). (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Oh come now, it's Christmas, a time to be merry, a time to forget your troubles for a while, a time to embrace your family and freinds and let them know how much you care for them, a time to remember what's really important in life...
...SO CHEER UP AND HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS DAMMIT!!! :D ;)
Really though, I wouldn't give fullscreen to my worst enemy. Besides, their's a bigger issue here, besides the fact that your giving someone you love fullscreen, you PAID for it, which means you helped pad the sales for that crap.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, after trying everything, I finally showed them both the segment on the Die Hard Five Star Collection DVD. They're both widescreen converts now (and mom wants to take the DVDs back...keep in mind we haven't had Christmas here yet)... :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Well, after trying everything, I finally showed them both the segment on the Die Hard Five Star Collection DVD. They're both widescreen converts now
Could there be a more perfect Christmas ending? I think not :D All that is needed is a little guy to throw down his crutch and say "and god bless us, one and all"
Happy Holidays everyone

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Get real! The fact is that most grandma's have little TV's and poor eyesight. They usually aren't "film buffs" who care about aspect ratio. Buy her what "SHE WANTS" and move on with your life. More than likely, buying here a widescreen DVD would be as useless as buying here a widescreen TV....she'd be watching her 4:3 "soaps" and "The Price Is Right" either grotesquely stretched, chopped off at the top/bottom edges or "wasting" the sides of her TV with blank space. That being said, if grandma has good eyes or a bigscreen TV, and if she is a film buff, by all means, get her the WS version, IF THAT IS WHAT SHE WANTS.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Get real! The fact is that most grandma's have little TV's and poor eyesight.
Exactly.
(I thought I would get away from the "Music" forum for awhile & check out this forum :)).
On my bedroom TV--a 19" Sanyo--widescreen movies are a joke. I almost need binoculars to see the pertinent details. On my 27" Philips in my apartment living room, the image size is better but still kind of small/irritating. I'm trying to save for a 36" Tau (I do try to buy the OAR version if available) but also am trying to buy a buddys friend's 1985 Honda 750 Interceptor (I hope that funky V-4 engine is reliable :crazy: ).
Some people seem to forget only a small percentage of people own either a large widescreen TV or a "regular" ratio TV of 30+ inches to view widescreen movies properly.
Artistic integrity is a good cause........but only when you can actually SEE it.
LJ

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

On my bedroom TV, a 20" Panasonic pan n scan movies are a joke. No OAR = No Sale around here regardless of which television is being watched.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
As a counterpoint to Jim's post, if she really doesn't care either way, why NOT get her the OAR edition? If she doesn't know the difference anyway, what's the harm?
Worst case senario, buy her the OAR edition and if she has a problem with it, let HER exchange it for the butchered one. This way at least you'll know it wasn't you who bought her the foolscreen edition.
Carl,
yes!! :emoji_thumbsup:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
One little piece of advice for those seeking change: I've found most Big Business execs (i.e., Universal, Warner, etc.) to be former athletes. And on a football field, baseball diamond or b-ball court whining gets absolutely NO respect.
Oh yea.....Joe Six Pack is: the guy who does your taxes; the woman who delivered your baby; the mechanic who repairs your computer-operated car; or the under-paid teacher that taught you to wipe your snotty nose.
LJ

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
"Foolscreen"--that's classic. Very good stuff.

For your grandma, I wouldn't try to fight it. I'd say grandma's have bad eyes and they usually woulnd'nt understand (although they might say the do just to "humor" you) Make them happy cause it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I know it hurts to buy P&S, but your grandma would probably be happier with it cause she can probably see it better.

Good idea to show them the Die Hard 5 star explanation. I think it's great and might work on them.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I told my friend he could tell how much his family liked him by the "version" that they gave him for Xmas. Widescreen meant they loved him and listened to his wants,needs, and desires ...but a Fullscreen version meant they could careless what you wanted or what you enjoy or it meant they could even careless you were alive.
My suggestion to him if he got a Fullscreen DVD, was to take the disk, snap it in half, slash their tires with the sharpened edge, then place each have under a wiper blade :D
**now I just hope he understands I was joking :b

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have no problems watching OAR of any ratio on my 27" Panny. Those who do should probably schedule a check-up with their eye doctor. :wink:

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a 13" tv, and had no problem watching any aspect ratio, and this was before I even realized DVD's were mostly widescreen. When I first got them, I didn't realize which version I was watching, and finally noticed an MGM case insert and saw the difference, but it didn't really bother me before.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a 13" tv, and had no problem watching any aspect ratio, and this was before I even realized DVD's were mostly widescreen. When I first got a DVD player in 1999, I didn't realize which version I was watching, and finally noticed an MGM case insert and saw the difference, but it didn't really bother me before. After seeing the difference, I simply made sure to watch the widescreen version. Thankfully, back in 1999, the only movies I had were Disturbing Behavior, I still know what you did last summer, and Urban Legend (all have both versions on one disc) so I didn't have to return anything.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a 13" tv, and had no problem watching any aspect ratio, and this was before I even realized DVD's were mostly widescreen, and that was the version I was watching. It just didn't bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks