What's new

Outlook loads SOOOOOOO slow! (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2 month-old Dell 4600.

I wiped everything out recently and did a fresh reinstall of Windows XP, then all the XP patches, then MS Office XP Small Business, the Office service pack, and now Outlook takes almost a minute to load. Help!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Try disabling MS Messenger. I know I've had this problem before, but I can't remember how exactly I fixed it. To disable Messenger in Outlook, open Outlook, go to Tools, go to Options, click the Other tab. At the bottom you will need to uncheck the box for Messenger. I'm pretty sure this was the cause of my problem with slow loading. Good luck.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I've been having the same trouble on my work computer. I just tried your remedy Seth (I'm at work at the moment) and it worked like a charm. Thanks! :)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Seth, I think I was hasty in saying that fixed it. While it did make it seem to load faster (the Outlook splash screen now disappears instantly), it still seems to be doing something. It loads to my inbox (that's how I have it set up) but when I push Send/Receive (again, because I have it set up to check for messages manually), I get an hourglass for about the same amount of time as it was locked up before. I don't know the exact amount, but its longer than it takes to boot the PC. Any other ideas?

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
For the record, it was a networking thing. I guess I never "set up" my little 2-PC LAN here, so by watching Task Manager for that first minute or so after booting, I was able to see what it was doing. I went thru the network setup wizard, got it all configured to use fixed IP addresses, and now, no more long pauses in Outlook. The problem didn't noticably affect any other operation though, which is why I thought it was Outlook. Thanks again for that messenger tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks