1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor volume control.........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Wolff, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Greg Wolff

Greg Wolff Auditioning

I've got a Pioneer 811 receiver and I want to hook up my B speakers to some outdoor patio JBL's (N26AW). I'm using #12 wire but I want to do an easy install by placing the volume control under the soffit of my roof (out of direct weather). I can reach the the volume by standing on my deck. Does anyone see any problems with this setup? I was looking at the stereo volume control that accessories4less sells ($30). They say #14 is the max wire the volume control will accept, but would cutting a few strands off affect the conductivity that much? The length of run to the volume control would be about 60' and then the run to the speakers would be, at the most 20'.
    Does this seem plausible?

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I'm sure you could make this work. There are lots of crimp and solder terminals that might be easier than shaving conductors off of your cable. I've often used solder-on gold pin terminals like these for connecting big wire to small-orifice devices.