What's new

Other Suberbit reviews? (1 Viewer)

James Nguyen

Second Unit
I know WSR has taken a look at some of the Suberbit titles but I'm a bit more interested to see if any other HTFers have done any comprehensive looks at the suberbit titles?
I know bjoern did a comprehensive look at The Fifth Element (complete with screenshots), and am hoping to find similarly detailed discussions on the merits of superbit treatments of Crouching Tiger and Air Force One.
Anyone?
Thanks!

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
I should have all Superbit titles except Jhonny M. on Wednesday. Since I still have the old CTHD, i will do shootout with that. I think i already sold my old Air Force One, but i will see if i can get a copy from a friend.
I also have the Desperado/El M. SE (which had the same transfer as the old Desp. movie only edition). The new Superbit title is said to have a completely new transfer, so i am especially eager to compare this one.
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page
[Edited last by Bjoern Roy on October 08, 2001 at 11:15 AM]

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Bjoern, great!
I'm quite interested in some of the other planned superbit titles as well. I must say I was quite apprehensive of the whole notion of "superbit" and had even cancelled my preorders I'd placed immediately after the CTHV announcements. After seeing your screenshots and detailed analysis, I must say at least some faith was restored in the new line of discs.
My system is nowhere near as telling as the rigs that many at HTF run, but it's nice to know that I can look forward to even better picture quality as I perform further upgrades. :)
Looking forward to seeing more of your reviews!

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
James,
i will also get the next round of Superbit titles, so far i know of Gattaca, Dracula and Patriot.
I have Patriot to make a comparisson, but already sold Gattaca and Dracula. Will have to see if i get a hold of them.
Patriot has a lot of potential to improve. Its also a bit soft (like all Col/Tri transfers, see my 5thElement review) and has a LOT of EE, even by Col/Tri standards. It is also very grainy at times, which yields compression artefacts from time to time.
Both Dracula and Gattaca have lots of dark scenes, which should look a lot more solid, if the transfers are done as carefully as the 5thE SB one.
Regards
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page
[Edited last by Bjoern Roy on October 08, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your efforts Bjoern! I too am hoping to replace my Dracula and Gattaca discs. Can't wait for your findings. Are you planning on doing Crouching Tiger?

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Carlos,
the CTHD that i mentioned in my first post is Crouching Tiger
blush.gif

------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, just clicked on that one! Thanks for your diligence, it really is helpful to those of us who need to pick and choose what titles we replace (because of "insufficient funds").
icon14.gif

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My review of Air Force One Superbit is up today at Digitally Obsessed: http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1700
In short, I don't agree with DVD File's conclusions. In particular, the ringing around people is drastically reduced on the new version. The DTS track is superb. I was skeptical about the Superbit gimmick, but after watching this and comparing it to the old version, I'm more willing to consider it.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks