What's new

Osmosis Jones...has anyone seen it yet? How was it? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw the preview for this in front of "Cats and Dogs". The animated parts looked interesting but the live action stuff looked low brow and disgusting. If you have seen the film could you tell me if my first impressions of it are correct?
------------------

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
It is pretty disgusting. I've liked what the Farrelly Brothers have done in the past, but I didn't particularly care for this. The animated sections have some creativity, but the live action stuff is pretty uninspired. I wouldn't recommend it.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection, Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy
Most recent column: One Hundred and Counting

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I went and saw it last night with my 5-year-old son. He seemed to get bored part way through, but that could have been because he was tired from playing so hard yesterday. When the movie was over he couldn't stop talking about it. About 95% of the humor went over his head, but he seemed to get the biology of it after some simple explanation.
I'd give the movie a 6 out of 10. It had some pretty good humor. It was all pretty subtle. I enjoy that kind of humor better. Thus the "good" rating. But the live action sequences were so disgusting that it lowered the rating a bit (only 1 point though).
The story is simple to follow for people who even have a minor understanding of germs, viruses, white blood cells, etc. There are a few scary parts, but my son seemed to do well during them.
The acting was pretty good. Bill Murrey does a terrific job. He's suppose to be a vile and disgusting man...and does a great job delivering that performance. His daughter (I forget who plays her) does a good job too.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...one pro and one con, however, both seem to think the live action leaves a bit to be desired. My first impression seems to be correct. I'm going to have think about whether to wait for the DVD.
------------------

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I liked it. IMO, it was as funny as Monkeybone should have been. The animation was fun, the inside-the-body jokes and gags mostly hit their mark. Though the producers could have saved money by hiring an unknown to play Bill Murray's role. Not that there was anything wrong with Murray, it's just that the role was pretty empty so anyone could have done it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I may have to go see it. Generally, I like to support the theatrical runs of animated films or live action/animation because every time one of these films bomb, it sends a message to the producing studio to steer well clear of animated films....especially non-Disney studios. Fox animation is a good example. "Titan AE" may not have been stellar material but maybe if it had turned a profit, Fox would have kept the studio running and something better might have resulted. As it stands, who knows if there will ever be another animated film from them.
------------------

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've read a lot about this movie, and I expect to enjoy the animated parts but hate the live-action stuff (I can't stand the Farrelly brothers). How much live-action is there compared to the animated parts? Half and half? Significantly more of one than the other?

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I thought it was about a C movie at best.Athough my friend HATED it and was so upset after seeing it that we turn right around and seen RH2.We like that better,but Jones was not a total wast of time,the cartoon seens were best.Id say wait till HBO.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I forgot to mention that when I saw it the theater was filled to about 1/4 capacity at a 7:20pm showing on Friday night.
How much live-action is there compared to the animated parts?
Just guessing from what I remember, it's about 20% live action.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Man, if I were Warner, I'd be getting out of the Feature Animation business too - what's the point, if you can make movies as great as The Iron Giant and Osmosis Jones and people don't show up?
This movie has a split personality, it's true - the Farrelly-directed scenes are terrible. I understand that they're needed to set up the rest of the movie, but they just aren't funny very often, despite Bill Murray's best efforts. It's like the brothers have forgotten every comic technique other than brute force.
But, once you get inside "The City Of Frank", the movie takes off. It's an explosion of color, sound, and humor that assumes some basic intelligence on the part of the audience. In some scenes, there's so much crammed into the background that I can't wait for the DVD release to track it all down. (Said DVD release had better be in widescreen, too - it's a scope film)
Voice acting is, for the most part, top-notch. Chris Rock is great as Osmosis "Ozzie" Jones, a part originally intended for Will Smith; William Shatner is, well, Shatner as the mayor (you like that or you don't); Brandy Norwood is the love interest; Laurence Fishburne is a little too jive-y at the start but becomes extremely menacing by the end. David Hyde Pierce is the only one who seems "off", but that's not entirely his fault - sometimes an actor will nail a character better than the script, and Pierce does that.
Too bad no-one's seeing this movie; it's a hidden gem which deserves an audience.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Too bad it'll probably be panned and scanned on the DVD... it's coming from Warner Brothers.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had decided to wait for DVD on this one because from some of the comments I read it seemed like it had a lot of juvenile bathroom humour. I have decided to go see it later on today, just in case WB does decide to Prune and Scrape the DVD release.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks