What's new

Optimum screen size? (1 Viewer)

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I think you should be sitting like 2-3 times the diagonal measure of the screen size away from the tv. So if your couch is like 150 inches from your tv, you're in the 60 inch tv range. At least I think I heard that

But hey, in my opinion, the optimum size is the biggest you can get!!!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Not any more.

It is what you would like.

I have suggested making a cardboard mockup of a screen and hanging it on the wall (for a panel TV or front projection) or setting it on a chair a little away from the wall (for a box TV) and then sitting down on the sofa and judging whether the size is right for you.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I've always heard 30 degrees. It looks like THX is between 26 and 36. The reasoning I have heard is that if you go wider your eyes can't take in the whole picture without moving and if you are having to shift your eyes back and forth during a movie they get fatigued.

Brad

captaincrash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

Interesting...

... at a 15 foot distance this calculator says I can use a 110.7" diagonal screen. And if it were a THX appropriate screen then 134" is called for. That would about to an 11' diagonal screen - which is about 96" or 117" wide, respectively. That amounts to an 8' wide or just under 10' wide screen. On my 15' wall this would leave either 3.5' or 2.5' free on either side. This sounds ideal for covering the wall with a fair balance between screen and total wall area/length.

The more I think about it - I like the idea of a front projector with a screen size of either 110 or 134" diagonal.

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Also note that the resolution of the display in question is important. Achieving large viewing angles requires a high resolution display. Sitting at 1x SW will not be satisfying for a lot of people on a digital 720p display for instance, especially with SD sources like DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks