What's new

optical digital audio cable (1 Viewer)

KenJB

Auditioning
I just bought a Panosonic CP72. There are two connection options, digital and analog. The digital connection requires an optical digital audio cable. Since my receiver accepts both, which is preferred. I would have guessed digital, however, the CP72 manual notes under Digital connections "enjoy high quality stereo sound with sampling frequencies of 88.2 and 96 kHz" while the notes under analog state "there are no limitations on sampling frequency with this type of connection. To obtain maximum performance of DVD-AUDIO multi channel linear PCM sound, the connections (analog) are recommended." Can anyone help me understand this a little better. Thanks.

Benny G

Second Unit
The digital optical input is what you will use for movies (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc).

The "only" way you can get true DVD-audio is via the analog output. You will have to make six connections from your DVD player to your receiver for DVD-audio. DVD-audio cannot be transferred via optical cable to your receiver because it (the receiver) will not decode the DVD-audio.

Maybe someone else can explain the sampling frequency numbers.

I hope this is kind of what you were looking for.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
No, Ken, you will need to use the digital out to watch movies. While this player does have on-board dts and DD decoders, those in your receiver are (probably) better. What receiver do you have? It's best to let the receiver to the audio decoding, rather than the dvd player. However, since this is also a DVD-A player, the only way to get DVD-A to output correctly is via the analog outputs. So, you should have a digital connection for your dts/dd sources (movies) AND 6 analog cables for the analog output for DVD-A.

Now, I couldn't discern whether this player only has optical outs, or not. If it is only optical digital out, and not also coax digital out, then that choice has already been made, since you can only use whats there, the optical. However, if it has both optical and coax digital outs, i'd recommend the coax digital out.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
I tried it both ways, and using the decoder in the player sounded just as good as when going through the optical cable and using the decoder in the H/K AVR-325. If you're going to hook up for DVD-A anyway, I'd use the same analog outs for DD/DTS.

Tim

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Using the analog outs for DD/DTS really limits your ability to play with subs and to fine-tune your HT sound (calibrating speakers, etc.).

My definite preference would be to use optical digital for DD/DTS and analog for only DVD-A.

StephenL

Second Unit
Using the digital connection for Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM will make use of the receiver's DACs, bass management and time alignment, which is typically better than the DVD player.

KenJB

Auditioning
OK. I think I'm beginning to understand. I hate to sound like this is all new to me ... but it is. Chris my receiver is an H/K AVR-520. Actually it arrives next week. It looks like the CP72 only has optical digital and not coax digital. The speakers also arrive next week. Five Ascend CBM-170's and a Hsu VTF-2. It sounds like the optical digital also allows me more flexibility with speaker adjustment. Thanks for all the feedback.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the AVR-520, then you have the ability to post-process (flexible speaker adjustment) the analog inputs.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Mike and Steven, definitely use the DACs in the receiver. First, they are probably way better, and even if they are the same, say you had a really crappy receiver(which you don't with that HK :) ), and a nice DVD player, the calibration that you can get in the receiver is probably best.
Your receiver is one very nice unit, so I would DEFINITELY use the DACs in that for movie watching. You accomplish this by using the optical cable. I also verified that this player indeed ONLY has optical out, which I find strange, as I thought the die-hard audiophiles opted for the coax, but I don't think they would ever be able to tell the difference. Anyway, getting off my soapbox, I just want to make sure that you understand what's going on with the optical and 5.1 analog outputs. What you need to do is connect BOTH. You would use the optical for watching movies, and that may be an assignable input, that you would put under "DVD" or something, or perhaps it's already assigned to that by default. That way, you let the receiver to all the decoding when watching movies.
Then, you'd ALSO connect the 5.1 outputs on the DVD player to the 5.1 in (perhaps labeled as 6.1 on yours? I think it is, but ignore the surround back, since you're not using one, nor is there a 6th amp in the HK) Your DVD player also plays DVD-A (dvd audio) discs, which are encoded differently than the DD/DTS audio that come with a regular DVD movie. Perhaps you already know this, but just making sure you get everything hooked up right. The decoders for the DVD-A are on the DVD player, and currently there is no standard for transmitting the DVD-A data digitally, so it must all be done in the player. So, in order to take full advantage of the very high-resolution audio on those DVD-A discs, you MUST use the analog outputs on your DVD player, and when listening to such a disk, you'd switch your receiver from DVD or whatever, to the "6.1 input" or pre-ins or whatever it calls it.
This way, you ensure that you keep the high-resolution that is the whole point of DVD-A, AND you can take full advantage of what I presume to be indeed a very nice decoder in that HK(along with the better bass management and adjustment options). Sounds like you are building a very nice system for yourself. A welcome breath of fresh air amongst those who buy much worse systems for more money. You'll be very happy once you have it hooked up. :emoji_thumbsup:

KenJB

Auditioning
Thanks Chris
This forum is outstanding. I owe my entire understanding (limited as it is) of home theater to this forum. My entire equipment selection is as a result of research and recommendations within this forum. Believe it or not, before stumbling across this site, I was actually considering a Bose Acoustimass home theater system. Please don't hold that against me.
Ken

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,

I just hooked up a new CP72 to my AVR-325 last night.

You actually have very good output management in the CP72 AND with the H/K 520 (I have the 325). You can hook up both the analog (which you need for DVD-A anyway) and the optical digital audio. Either way, you'll be able to manage what each speaker gets with the receiver. You'll also be able to tweak the analog inputs sent to the receiver with the CP72. You can switch from the 6 channel input to the optical input and see for yourself what you like better. I just left them both hooked up, although I really couldn't hear a difference either way.

All the best,

Tim

KenJB

Auditioning
Thanks Tim,
I spent the morning working thru a connections schematic so I don't screw things up. The speakers should arrive by this weekend, so with any luck everything is up and running by the end of the weekend. I'll test out the optical digital audio and let you know what I think. Thanks again for your help.
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks