What's new

Opinions on Marantz SR-4000 (1 Viewer)

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning
I'm new to the home theater bug and have decided to upgrade my old Sony STR-D615 Dolby Pro-Logic receiver to something a little more modern that would offer at least Dolby Digital 5.1. My budget unfortunately is entry-level--looking to spend $200 roughly (I already dropped $400 for speakers!). As a result I was looking at the Panasonic SA-HE70 ($170) and SA-HE100 ($250) and similar offerings from Pioneer and Onkyo.

However I stumbled on to an opportunity to pickup the Marantz SR-4000 used for around $150. After searching HTF and reading reviews for this receiver, I began to think that this may be a viable option. Although it doesn't have the latest features of the newer receivers, such as DPL II, it appears to be a cut above in overall quality.

I'm just wondering if anyone could offer comments/opinions on the choice between new vs old in this case. Also, how does the SR-4000 perform as a home theater receiver. My listening is likely to be geared more towards home theater, roughly 60% home theater, 40% music.

I also just purchased the JBL NSP-1's 5-speaker surround system and the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer to bring my fledgling system to life. Are these speakers a good match for the Marantz SR-4000. Any advice you can offer would be of tremendous value to me. Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have an SR6200 as well as the SR4000 which I also picked up for $150. This is about as good as it gets for $150 IMO!! This thing has plenty of power for bookshelf speakers, and should work fine with the NSP-1 speakers. I don't have a center hooked up to it (it's in my bedroom) so I can't really say if it is OK or not, but this thing really kicks butt for 2ch music. The only issue is the lack of DTS, but for a starter receiver, and especially at this price, this is an excellent choice. I can pretty much guarantee it will outperform the others you listed. I didn't have much expectation after taking a look at this unit, but I was pleasantly surprised. So much so, I bought 2 and gave one as a gift!
I picked up a Sony DE475 for $150 and was so disappointed, I sold it within a few days, went and got the 4000, and have been very happy with it since.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning
Hi John, thanks for your feedback. I read many of your previous posts on this receiver which helped steer me towards this option. I just got the feeling that for the money available in my budget, a "used" SR-4000 would be a better "value" than a new $200 Panasonic/Pioneer.

As for DTS, I'm assuming that as long as I have Dolby Digital 5.1, I should be covered for the vast majority of DVD's I will watch. Is there another reason why I may lament the lack of DTS?

Do you think the SR-4000 will prove to be a capable home theater receiver? Does anybody have any personal experience with this receiver in a 5.1 home-theater setup as opposed to a 2-channel music setup? Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You won't really miss anything without DTS, in general, but it will be something to look forward to later on when you can upgrade to a receiver that does have it. There IS a noticable difference with DTS, but you will not be disappointed with only DD. On 95% of all discs out there, there is a Dolby compatible track (not necessarily 5.1) that will work. Very few discs are DTS only.
Oops, I forgot to mention - In my setup, I don't use it for very much HT, but the other one I gave as a gift, I hooked up in a 5.1 setup (but no sub). It was driving some small JBL bookshelf surrounds and center, and large floorstanding mains. It had no problems, and was still able to perform very well and make the recipients very happy also. :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've been using a SR5000 for over a year and love the thing. I recently added Adcom amps and use it for just a pre/pro now, but Marantz is a quality product and for $150, you should already have it.
Peace Out~:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been able to find 5000s for ~$300, and I'm pretty sure it has DTS. This would also be an excellent choice. I almost bought one of those instead, but it was a bit overkill for my bedroom, and was more than I was looking to spend (both local ones got sold before I could grab one anyway).

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning
What exactly does DPL II do and does the SR-4000 have anything similar. Is DPL II a feature that would steer you away from the SR-4000 since it doesn't have it?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DPL II is the latest generation of Dolby Pro-Logic processing for Dolby Surround encoded material. It also has the ability to create 5.1 "discrete" channels of sound from various sources, most notably stereo. The 4000 has the original DPL, and can do basically the same thing, just not quite as well. I haven't found DPL II to be a vast improvement, certainly not with music, but it does a nice job for Dolby Surround movies. I personally would not say DPL II is a big enough deal that not having it would be a deal breaker. You want to watch DVDs with 5.1 Dolby Digital anyway...:D

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning
Hey John, quick question. The old Sony I'm replacing with the SR-4000 had all spring clips for connectors. Do you know what is utilized for connections with the SR-4000? Can bare wire be used or do I need to get something else? What do you recommend--for connectors and for speaker wire? Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The mains are binding posts, they will accept banana plugs, pins, spades (I think) and bare wire. The center/surround are spring clips. I used a variety of wire an connectors. Bananas can be had at Radio Shack pretty cheap, and also there are a ton of selections at Partsexpress.com at a variety of prices.
Wire, I use Monster XP HT for the 30' runs for my surrounds and Monster MCS-1X for the front stage with bananas all around. I tried out some expensive solid wire and could not hear a difference that mattered to me. Nothing really wrong with bare wire at all, I just like the convenience/ease of use and clean look of bananas.
*edit: By the way, might I ask where you found the 4000? And do they have any more? I have a friend looking for one as well. :D

KrisM

Second Unit
I have the 7000 and it does not have component switching. I would assume the same with the 4000/5000. I have never heard the 4000 or 5000 but I am very happy with my 7000. $150 sounds like a great price.

Regards
KrisM

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Man, I have too many component devices for my next receiver not to allow me too keep them all connected at the same time. Looks like the Pioneer 811s is still my choice of a new receiver, component switching, 6.1 w/7.1 upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks