What's new

Replacing Marantz SR-96 & DP870 with ??? (1 Viewer)

George B

Auditioning
I have had a Marantz SR-96 & DP870 along with an Energy speaker set (RVS - R&L, RVS - center, RVSS - rears, EPS-150 -subs (2) for several years and have had no complaints. The area in my basement is about 19 x 25. I originally bought the Marantz unit with the intention of going in to separates, first with an amp, then pre-amp.

Right now I have a HTPC that provides the sound signal. The HTPC handles all the video (DVD playback and HD-OTA). I will never have a sat. dish in this house because of line of sight problems. Whether I get Comcast's HD signal for TV viewing remains to be seen. Right now I am satisfied with my antenna & the OTA choices I have.

Well I'm starting to have problems with the receiver, so my plans need to be revised. I think my options are now
1.) get another receiver with approx. 100w/chan. ($1000-2000)
2.) get into separates all at once ($3000-4000)

I've started looking around and I'm not so sure that going into separates is going to be audibly that much better than the receiver solution.
I'm looking for any others that may have some experience in this area. Any opinions?

Thanks
George

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion; decent separates, which can definitely be had at the price point you listed, are going to be a considerable improvement over just about any receiver. If you do a quick search, you'll turn up a number of threads on separates vs receiver.

So, the real questions are 1)actual budget, and 2)options/features you are looking for.

George B

Auditioning
When I went around to local shops (Gramophone, Tweeters, Myer-Emco), I got receiver suggestions & separate suggestions.

Budget max. would probably be $4000.
Requirement/Options:
- take a coaxial digital RCA input from a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card
- approx. 100w/chan
- DD, DTS, ProLogic II

Right now I don't need video switching, multiple room or even a fancy remote, just good sound & lots of it.

I think a major part of my problem is that I would like to have the reassurance that separates are audibly better than the receiver to justify the cost differential. In all the B&M stores, comparing a receiver to separates is done in different rooms with different speakers and I can't tell any difference, only that they each sound good to me. I guess I don't really have a particular DVD & scene that I can use to tell where there is a unique set of sounds being moved around to different speakers that would provide the distinction between the two.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, don't use DVDs unless it is a music disc. Music tends to reveal the subtle differences between components better to me. In different rooms with different setups, it is going to be relatively tough to tell the differences, but if you can't tell the difference, you might be better off not dropping the cash for separates. Under $4k you can get pretty much the top of the line receiver from nearly any manfuacturer. I'd suggest listening to the Denon 5803a, Marantz SR9300v, maybe the Pioneer top model 59tx? (don't remember) any of the Rotels, and B&K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks