What's new

Opinions on Home Theater Speakers?? (1 Viewer)

ChuckD

Auditioning
I am looking to get a speaker system for my theater room and i dont know what to get.

I know there is Bose Systems out there and they sound really good in the stores. But is there other systems or speakers that are better sounding or just all around better?

I am looking for the following:

Center Channel
Left Front
Right Front
Left Rear
Right Rear
Sub.
****Maybe Right and Left Side Speakers for the complete surround effect.

Thanks,

Chuck..

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
bose lifestyles, and acoustimass=bad in my opinion, for the money if u dont want satilites and want decent sound JBL northridge series, and the new klipsch senergy's are good if like brighter speakers. if u want bose try some 301's in the front, there center cant remember model, and 201's in the rear.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and yes. As the old saying goes, friends don't let friends buy Bose. Save your money and buy something like the Tykes at AV123.com. Not only will they sound better but they will save you a lot of money and regret for buying blose.

ChuckD

Auditioning
Are smaller satelite speakers better than ones like the Klipsch F-1 Home theater system where they have tower speakers and larger satelites?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Its hard to say all satellite (cube) speakers sound worse than bigger speakers but for the most part satellite speakers are very limited and should only be an option when size is the most important factor. That said, good satellites beat the tar out television speakers.

Klipsch are a love or hate thing. As a former Klipsch owner I would suggest you get what sounds best to you. If I may add a piece of advice, don't rule out internet companies like ACI, AV123, Ascend... etc. It opened a whole new world of speakers (and subwoofers) for me.

ChuckD

Auditioning
Hey Jed,

What sort of things didnt you like about Klipsch?

What do you have in your home now?

Chuck

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I have a LOT of Klipsch gear and what you may not like is:

-Very bright (as in, the highs are more pronounced than most other speakers. To me, this = accurate and clear, not 'harsh')

-They are VERY revealing. If you have a sh!tty CD or DVD, you will hear the background hiss and all the little flaws.

However, for what I like, this is no big deal and I have a good receiver (HK AVR 635)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,

I bought my Klipsch when I was in college based on hearing one of my friends systems. I would say over a six year period Klipsch's unique signature sound grew tiresome. I have nothing bad to say about them for the price and for home theater they excelled, but now I prefer a different sound especially for music.

After a short stint with Swans, I now own Onix Reference speakers from www.AV123.com and dual SVS 20-39 CS+ for my subwoofers. Another option that is good if you are handy with tools is DIY kits. A business that I like for DIY kits is www.gr-research.com. I auditioned the AV2's in my house and I thought they sounded pretty darn good for the price. I still preferred my Ref's over them, but the Ref's are also about 3 times the price. Like others have said, knowing your budget would make recommending speakers you should consider a lot easier. Enjoy the shopping and remember to keep us updated.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Atlantic Technology makes some really good full systems. With options for every size and price point.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
There are multiple speaker companies out there with fine products. It truly depends upon what you are searching for. For example, one company that produces a very different look speaker is nOrh. However, you will either love or hate the looks. This being said, one of the best HT packages I've heard was the nOrh 4.0 video system and SVS 20-39 I used to own.

Another fine system I currently own is the Rocket RS550s for mains, RSC200 center, RS150s rears, and a UFW-10 sub.

One consideration will be if music or HT is more of a priority for you. A second one will be your room size, including openings into other rooms. This is due to what size sub you may need and if you will need more than one.

Do not be afraid to buy used gear either for there are some wonderful values and bargains to be had.

But it all starts with your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks