What's new

Operation Mindcrim II (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I love it. I wouldn't say it's quite the equal of the original Mindcrime, but it is a great album.

What's everyone else's opinion, good or bad?

Dave>h

Second Unit
My thoughts are as follows:

Going in, I was not sure what to expect. A lot of time has passed since OMC and Queensryche has kind of fallen along the way side. The band isn't what it used to be and rock and roll has moved on. So, my expectations were somewhat muted but they needn't have been. OMC2 is rock solid. Tate's voice isn't quite what it used to be but it held up when it needed to. The band was tight although I did feel the lack of dueling guitars from OMC. However, what little there was lacking, I found was made up by their song choices and lyrical accompaniments. The song with Dio is awesome, lyrically chasing each other around like that was an awesome sequence. Don't think there is a bad song on it.

Have to admit, I didn't really have time to examine the narrative so I am not completely sure of the story. Consequently, I am not sure if the last song is as effective as the outro on OMC. I did manage to listen to the whole thing twice, once last night and once this morning, although both times I was a bit distracted - last night I was tired and had had a few beverages and this morning I was getting ready for work - but I certainly enjoyed it both times. It has the potential to be a cd player native for months to come.

Will this put Queensryche back on the map? That one I am not sure. I don't know that this will resonate with the kids. Not that it is Geezer rock but I am not sure if they managed musically to bridge the gap between 1989 and 2006. Metal has changed, the kids have changed a lot. Is there a place for this type of album? Is there time enough in our i pod society to actually listen for an entire hour to one artist? I don't know the answer to that. Time will tell

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Well i've been a QR fan since the 80's. So naturally, I pre-ordered my vinyl LP copy w/ autographed poster from the website 30+ days ago. Webite said all shipments would occur prior to release date.

Imagine my frustration and anger when it still hasnt showed up on my doorstep. 24 hrs later, no email reply from the online store.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
I listened to the first maybe 8 songs on the way to work this morning. So far song 6 (Hands) is my favorite. Unlike most people, I have enjoyed all their recent releases, and this is another strong effort. I look forward to the rest on my trip home.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Not sure if any of you have been looking at the website but there was mention that the tour they are planning will feature a performance of both Mind Crime albums, not unlike their last limited tour where the played Mindcrime in its entirety, one after the other.

No word on whether Dio will be reprising his role in the live show, although that would be really cool.

As I noted in an earlier post, I found the end of the cd weaker than the ending for MC. Do you think they may be planning a Mindcrime 3 possibly? Maybe turn the whole thing into one big three act stage production at some point. Interesting concept. Possibly a movie like the Wall?

Dave

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I heard Geoff Tate sing the National Anthem at the Mets game last night on the radio.....

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
I found the last song very anti-climatic. Not to say it is bad, just kind of a different way to end it. Unlike the first OMC, this will take a few more listens to fully sink in.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Huge QR fan since the original O:M came out.

Unfortunately this release did little for me. I actually prefer Tribe. Nothing really stuck with me except I'm American. Not crazy about the sound either-vocals seem buried. Lyrics aren't very profound either. Maybe that's DeGarmo missing, but O:M had such angst and passion. O:M 2 seems uninspired, and not just because it's a sequel.

I really wish they didn't do this record, but really, with DeGarmo gone, the QR I loved is pretty much gone as well. I know Tate acknowledged not long ago that DeGarmo was the main songwriter. Maybe I was naive to expect the band to stay innovative.

I think the only QR record I would rank this ahead of is Q2K. I wasn't crazy about what they did with Hear In the Now Frontier, but at least DeGarmo was still involved, and the songs such as they were, still stayed with me.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Few are. ;) Still my favorite album ever. Desert island material.

I also mourned the loss of Chris DeGarmo and wonder what this album would have been like with him involved. Nevertheless it stands on its own for me as a solid piece of work. I want to spend more time listening to the story but it's the most I've enjoyed QR in a while. More background on Dr. X would have been interesting rather than so much of Nikki's soul-searching. I agree with the above that the last song is very anti-climactic. The ending of Mindcrime I is absolutely mindblowing. This just casually fades away. I also miss the interludes from Mindcrime. But the reality is we shouldn't expect a rehash of the original. The band (and the characters for that matter) are almost 20 years older and a different perspective is welcome. I've been enjoying my early sittings with the disc and will be absorbing it for a while.

The intro to this disc is amazing - I'm a sucker for that type of dramatic opening.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I do agree that this could have been on another level if DeGarmo was involved. But I do like it.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Yep, enjoying the Queensryche, although it tends to lose me a bit near the end. Personally, I think they should have gone with the BIG finish. It seems like it goes out with a whimper and not a bang. In my opinion, had it built and built rising to an all enveloping crescendo (ala MC 1) it would keep my interest longer. Maybe brought Dio in at the end or something. I understand from a story perspective why it goes that way but from a musical perspective, thus far at least, the end is leaving me a bit flat. Of course, it could just be my limited attention span and after about 30 minutes or so, I am getting antsy. Maybe I should start it at song 8 and listen to it that way, see if it grabs me more.

In fact, I really like it all the way up to the last song and then it just fizzles out. Wonder why they made that choice? Possibly to be different than MC 1?

Speculatively, I am think MC 3 is the reason for the lack luster ending. But that would be letting commerce get in the way of art wouldn't it?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing both MC 1 and 2 back to back in concert sometime this year. Possibly September in NYC...

Dave

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Musically I think the album is strong. The production is what sounds off to me here. Mindcrime through Hear In The New Frontier have flawless production. Promised Land especially for me is just perfect. This one is missing that. I agree with Andrew above, the vocals are a bit buried.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
So I really haven't paid to much attention the story, but I assume the answer to who killed Mary is no one since she appears to be alive based on pamela Moore reprising the role. Correct?

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
True, as to the cause of Mary's death, which was also revealed in the "hidden video" at the end of Video Mindcrime (how's that for nostalgia?).

Anyone have thoughts on the "plot twist" that was mentioned pre-release? The story isn't nearly as clear or driven in this one, and I have this horrible feeling that it's that Nikki is crazy, which strikes me as a massive cop-out. Any votes for him killing himself and drifting up to the white light to the strains of "All the Promises?" Other ideas?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Is that the old VHS tape release that had music videos of some of the songs from Mindcrime? If so, I have that somewhere but I guess I never bothered playing it to the very end. Time to dig it out I guess...

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I think overall the album sounds good, my biggest complaint is that I get kind of lost. MCII is missing the level of story inserts from MC -- that mixed with the level on Tate's vocals being lower, I have trouble following the story. (Granted, I'm only on listen #2, and haven't read the lyrics yet.)

On a marketing front, neither Best Buy or Circuit City had it when I went on Thursday night. That's pretty lame. I went to Target (missed their $12.99 sale and paid $14.99) and they had about 10 copies. I don't know why I bother going to BB or CC for new releases when Target has them, and generally cheaper to boot. (Got the new Lacuna Coil for $7.99)

Doug

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Doug best buy was probably sold out. They had it for $11.99 this week. I know the best buy here sold out.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, I went to my Best Buy last Thursday, and I couldn't find it either. I asked about it, and they found that they had it in stock. For some reason, they never stocked the shelves! It was even worse for the new Lacuna Coil: It was in the wrong storage room, and they hadn't even priced them yet! Gotta love Best Buy.

Jason

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Video Mindcrime was a VHS release that came out in (I think) 1989. It had mixed performance and concept video for several songs from the album. At the end of the tape, after the credits, was a second video for I Don't Believe In Love (again, I think; it's been several years since I watched it) that was basically a split screen concept video. The band said at the time of the release that it would reveal the cause of Mary's death, and it was consistent with what I heard showed up in the more recent tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks