What's new
World Wide Stereo

Onyko receiver problem or installation problem? Surround sound will not work. (1 Viewer)

CharlestonSC

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol
Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I recently moved, and am having a problem getting sound out of my home theatre system after my new installation. I am not sure if the problem is with my receiver or with its hook ups.

Problem: I get no sound at all out of system except when receiver’s “surround mode” is set to off (i.e. no sound when the receiver mode is set to Prologic, hall, theatre, studio or live modes, and consequently surround sound is not working. Receiver display works fine, just no sound except from left and right front speakers).
The equipment worked fine before the move and initially worked after my new set up for a few days. The last I know it worked was after I added the two rear speakers and then used the receiver’s test tone function to balance all of the speakers’ sound levels. At that time I was getting sound out of all speaker channels in surround mode. Not sure what happened after that – next day I went to use, and would not work except as described above. Now I don’t even get any sound, even out of test mode. Did I short-circuit something?
I have already double-checked the following: center channel speaker – traded center channel speaker out with left channel speaker – center speaker works fine then. Also checked ‘center mode’ on receiver to make sure it is not set to phantom mode (which prevents sound from coming from center speaker) – it is not, it is in wideband mode. Also checked to make sure problem occurs regardless of whether I am watching TV, playing a CD or a cassette.

Any suggestions on what I should do next to get the system to work?

My equipment: 10 year-old Onkyo TX-SV717PRO Audio Video control tuner; speakers are Atlantic Technology System 250 (5 speakers + powered subwoofer). Also, Denon 440 CD player, Sansui D-55M tape player, a 2 year-old Pioneer DVD, a Sony Wega 3LCD TV (with HDTV) and a Bell South HD box.

CharlestonSC

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol
Update: I think this is a receiver problem.... I took the scientific approach and thumped on the receiver and the surround sound modes began working.

Problem is, ran fine for a few minutes, then I heard a pop sound on the speakers, and the receiver went into protect mode.

I turned off the reciever and turned it on again, and the system again is only working in non-prologic (no surround sound) mode.

Is this something like a loose wire inside the receiver that I can fix myself or is this a job for the repair shop? Not afraid to give it a try if I know where to look.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I doubt there would be any way for you to fix it yourself. I've popped the top off of a few avr's to take a peek inside, but without some serious electronics knowledge I don't think you would even know how to find the problem let alone repair it. I'd find a place that offers free estimates and let a pro tackle it. And remember, even if you un-plug it, receivers still hold current. Looks like you need a new one anyway (but we say that to everyone :) ). If you do go shopping for a new one, there are several here who can help point you in the right direction.

CharlestonSC

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol
Thanks for the feedback. Most likely is headed for the shop.

I have got my eye on the new Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver for $400 as a back up plan. Among other things, it has HDMI 1.3a and is XM ready... my current receiver, while it has multi-room capabilities and more wattage (110 per channel vs. the newer receiver's 90 per channel), does not have HDMI.

This old receiver has served me well though. Together with another Onkyo receiver and a Niles speaker selector box it helped power sound in 6 rooms + in a TV room in my old home. But, I have moved, & for the time being (unless I build another home - hmm, maybe? miss that multiroom sound!), I no longer have a use for its multiroom feature. And technology has changed a lot in the past 10 years.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From what I'm reading about the 605 it would be an excellent choice. It will have so much more to offer compared to your 10 year old model you won't believe it. And don't worry about the small difference in wattage. You won't even notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks