What's new

Onkyo vs Denon (1 Viewer)

Dude779

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave S.
I need some help trying to figure out what receiver to buy. I am planning on purchasing in the next two days. I've been trying to find everything on the net I can, I hope some of you who know more then I do about this stuff can please give me some advice. I am doing this on a budget and want something decent, it doesn't have to be the best.
Onkyo.
I really like the features of the TX-NR 515 and the TX-NR 616. Right now with certain sales going on the are pretty close in price. A lot of the features are the same, with the 616 adding alittle more like theTHX and the step up in the Audyssey. I like the fact that they are able to connect to the internet wireless. Its 7.2 which is also nice, and has a lot of HDMI connections (more then I need from the start) for the future. But I have seen a lot of post with people having problems with, as I seen some posting that Onkyo has been slipping in the QC area. This however dosent scare me away from the brand.
Denon
The Denon AVR-1613 seems very suitable for me. Really the only con for me, you have to plug a Ethernet cable into it, its not wireless. I have a older home (built 1909) and the way the foundation is laid out, it would be hell to try to run a cable from my router to the receiver. Beside that I think its a solid unit.
I will be using this room for movies, and general TV viewing, and some music either from disc or Ipod. I may bring my PS3 or Xbox 360 in there also ( or wait until the next gen systems come out).
Connections
Blu Ray player
Satelite receiver
Game system (up to two)
I have enough speakers for a 5.1 or 7.2 system (will just have to get another sub, no big deal). I may build a PC to hook up but that's a future option. Really I just want some opinions on what would be better, please feel free to bring up some pros and cons I haven't thought of.
Thank You for taking the time to read and post your thoughts.......

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have to connect a LAN to the NR515/616, so have no idea where you get the idea Wifi Ready means "doesn't need a LAN".
The 1613 is not the direct competitor to the 515 either.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
For the $5 difference, I'd definitely get the 616 over the 515. But the deal of the century is the 809 for $469!

Dude779

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave S.
Ok thanks for the feed back. I thought the UWF-1 that plugs into the USB slot made the connection wireless. I must have looked at it wrong.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dude779 said:
Ok thanks for the feed back. I thought the UWF-1 that plugs into the USB slot made the connection wireless. I must have looked at it wrong.
It does. I ordered the UWF-1 along with the Onkyo 616 and have had no problems with wireless connection. I've had the 616 nearly a month now with no real problems. The most recent firmware update must be done via USB flashdrive (there's a You-tube video on how to do it posted on Onkyo's support site). Onkyos do tend to run a little hot but the 616 has a largish cooling fan (never heard mine). That being said it's a good idea to make sure the receiver has lots of ventilation.
I did have an occasional HDMI handshake dropout with my DirecTV box that was cured by setting the D box to output everything at 1080i. I found the Qdeo video processing to be an unexpected bonus in it's ability to improve the D picture quality.

Dude779

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave S.
Thanks again for the solid info. The stand it will be sitting on is pretty open but I will keep an eye on the heat. I have been watching the prices of the 616, if it happens to go up I will end up getting the 515, but I was looking at the Denon since its in the same price range, and got some good specs. Thanks again, and if theres anything else you can give the heads up on please let me know

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Dude779 said:
Yes, you have to get a USB wireless adapter. The issue with the UFW-1 is that there have been reports of marginal range and that it is a bit pricey. I decided to go with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBX9C6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
This unit apparently has the same chip set as the Onkyo UWF-1, plus it has an antenna and is cheaper. I have been using it with my 809 for over a year and it works great.
BTW, my 809 does not run hot at all, and I have it in an enclosed cabinet(I do leave the front door cracked open a few inches to allow cool air into the cabinet).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
An even better option than the USB...
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356385729&sr=1-2&keywords=wnce2001
Then you aren't beholden, as much anyway, to interference caused by an AVR in close quarters with other stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks