What's new

New AVR vs Speakers (1 Viewer)

T0mmyKn0ckers

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
I have a 3-4 year old Denon AVR-X4000 that was great when I bought it but have had some issues over the years. And my speakers have got quieter and quieter over time (yeah I'm getting older so maybe it's my ears :) )

I've finally upgraded to a 4K TV and hope to soon buy the new Xbox series X (when I can find one).

My question to you smarter HT people is should I invest my money in a new AVR (Denon x3700 or x4700) or would I see better returns replacing my speakers?

Current speakers (do I have to admit it here?) Onkyo 7.1 all-in-one box type THX speakers. Thinking of upgrading to Klipsch 280's and 450 center... to start.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome! Definitely put your money towards new speakers in this case but not these particular Klipsch's. Trust me as I have owned them and there are much better choices available for similar money such as these.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with @John Dirk that speakers would be my first choice for an upgrade, too. I would definitely listen to the Klipsch speakers before buying. Klipsch uses a horn tweeter, which has a unique sound that some people like and others do not. Personally, when I was auditioning speakers quite a few years ago, I did not care for the "Klipsch sound". It seemed too harsh to my ears. The sales guy loved the sound, so he was pushing them. I ended up with B&W 600 Series speakers.

T0mmyKn0ckers

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
Welcome! Definitely put your money towards new speakers in this case but not these particular Klipsch's. Trust me as I have owned them and there are much better choices available for similar money such as these.

Thank you, I appreciate the input. Now I've spent the last week researching Elac speakers, primarily 2.0 F6.2 and they sound like a excellent speaker for the price. But now I'm butting up against the KEF Q750 or Q950 and I can't find any good comparisons between the two. My problem is that if I start with L/R/C then I'll want to complete the set and not hodge podge a 5.2 or 7.2. Is there a big difference between the two manufacturers in a primary Home Theater setting?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thank you, I appreciate the input. Now I've spent the last week researching Elac speakers, primarily 2.0 F6.2 and they sound like a excellent speaker for the price. But now I'm butting up against the KEF Q750 or Q950 and I can't find any good comparisons between the two. My problem is that if I start with L/R/C then I'll want to complete the set and not hodge podge a 5.2 or 7.2. Is there a big difference between the two manufacturers in a primary Home Theater setting?

Look for dealers in your area. The very best thing you can do is hear the speakers on your short list. While that can be a bit of a challenge during these times it may still be possible and is worth the effort as this is an investment you may end up living with for a long time. I just bought new speakers and actually flew to Texas just to hear them first since there wasn't a dealer in Georgia where I live.

The front stage [L-C-R] are the main speakers you want to put your dollars into. A good sub is also important but that could possibly come later. The surround speakers in a 5.2 or 7.2 system are not as big of a deal.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can't go wrong with the KEF or ELACs. In fact, the same guy at least had a hand in the designing of all of them. Since you're considering the much more expensive KEFs, you might add the ELAC UniFi v2 to your list as well. In general, the ELACs will give you more for your money, but both brands make excellent speakers.

And as John said, it helps to listen to them, if you can.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go the other way and say that you should replace the receiver first, especially if you upgraded to a 4K set and plan on buying an XBOX series X. The.speakers you have will work with any receiver and can be replaced later; however, the capabilities of a series X will not be realized if you want to run the series X through the receiver and out to the TV, since older receivers do not support HDMI 2.1. Of course, it only matters if the TV supports 4K @ 144 Hz.and HDMI 2.1.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The fact is, if you want a performing HT, they both need to be replaced. So it’s a matter of which first.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What are your listening habits to start off with and how big is your room? Do you listen at relatively lower volumes or do you like to turn it up? No matter what brand you get make sure the speakers are placed correctly with the mids and tweeters at ear level. Avoid placing your center channel speaker close to the floor as that will throw off your dialog and sound level. I agree with other to go listen to the speakers first as I can recommend something as well as anyone else. But your taste in sound may be different than ours. The larger the room the larger the drivers need to be to achieve theater like dynamic sound when you turn it up. Efficiency is also part of the equation as the less efficient the speaker is the more power is required to achieve a certain sound level. I see Klipsch was mentioned and I agree some like them some do not but Klipsch now uses a ruber coating on the horn which they didn't do in the past so they are not as brite as they used to be. Once again listen for yourself as it is your money and we do not have to live with and love the speakers you do. ELAC is a good brand as is KEF and Bowers & Wilkins. Speakers can make or break a system and the next in line is the receiver or amplifier as once you have your speakers you need to be able to properly power them. I might also suggest Monitor Audio along with the Klipsch, KEF, SVS, Bowers & Wilkins and ELAC. Don't forget that lower impedance speakers do not work well with many lower end receivers. Heck they do not do well with my former Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver which did poorly with 4 ohm loads because of it's amplifiers. Speakers can and will dip lower then the nominal ohm ratings. Do your research and trust your ears, someones speakers may technically may be better but the best speakers are the ones you enjoy listening and sound good to you. I would also agree that both speakers and receiver need to be replaced as well. My recommendations for receivers are Marantz, Denon and Yamaha.

KEF Q750 88db 8ohm
Bowers & Wilkins 88.5db 8ohm
ELAC 2.0 F6.2 87db 6ohm
SVS 87db 8ohm
Klipsch 98db 8ohm

Bowers & Wilkins | Audio Excellence
Elac – The life of sound
Home Audio | KEF USA
Home Audio Speakers, Subwoofers and Cables | SVS (svsound.com)

Understanding Speaker Sensitivity and Efficiency (the-home-cinema-guide.com)

Loudspeaker Sensitivity & Impedance Explained | Audioholics

This is what I like and what I am using! Two Altec Lancing A-7's and the center and rears are Klipsch that are a closer match to the A-7's.
201900959aaa.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't disagree that they should both be replaced; however, if he can do only one then I would say the receiver first because the speakers can be used with any receiver just so long as they are not blown.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm going to go the other way and say that you should replace the receiver first, especially if you upgraded to a 4K set and plan on buying an XBOX series X. The.speakers you have will work with any receiver and can be replaced later; however, the capabilities of a series X will not be realized if you want to run the series X through the receiver and out to the TV, since older receivers do not support HDMI 2.1. Of course, it only matters if the TV supports 4K @ 144 Hz.and HDMI 2.1.
Ah yes. Posts like this one show where our individual hearts veer. I'm an unabashed audio guy first and foremost so I never really even considered the logic you've presented here. Kind of like offense or defense in football, most of us lean more towards one over the other.

@T0mmyKn0ckers - It may be time for you to choose a side. :)

S Bailey

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I have a 3-4 year old Denon AVR-X4000 that was great when I bought it but have had some issues over the years. And my speakers have got quieter and quieter over time (yeah I'm getting older so maybe it's my ears :) )

I've finally upgraded to a 4K TV and hope to soon buy the new Xbox series X (when I can find one).

My question to you smarter HT people is should I invest my money in a new AVR (Denon x3700 or x4700) or would I see better returns replacing my speakers?

Current speakers (do I have to admit it here?) Onkyo 7.1 all-in-one box type THX speakers. Thinking of upgrading to Klipsch 280's and 450 center... to start.
I to had an older set up that I was looking to upgrade. Then my Yamaha reciever failed on me. A 12 year old unit! Lol. Paired with Mirage OM-12 towers Mirage center and some old Sony bookshelves i used for surrounds. Pretty Frankenstein I know.

So I replaced the reciever first, with the Yamaha RX-A870, I'm a Yamaha guy and this one recieved very good reviews. It was a huge step forward. I then researched speakers for about 6 months. Listened to the klipsch RP-8000FB and center. I understand why people like them. Huge massive Soundstage, great resolution but not much depth. The horn sounds fantastic the bass is very good but mid bass not so good. Not very dynamic, not a very good 3d image. I listened to the Focal Chora 816. These i liked ALOT, very dynamic nice Soundstage but to me they sounded just a little bright. And I dislike bright speakers. Then I listened to the Paradigm Premier 800f. I fell in love! Please go listen to these before you buy. Not a massive Soundstage but if neutral was defined in a dictionary they would use a picture of these speaker. Incredible detail and fantastic depth and resolution. The bass is tight but not super strong. They need a good quality sub or two. But for the money I DO NOT believe any other speaker in there price range can compete. These speakers are like the best kept secret in hifi right now. I was so impressed I later (6 months) bought the Paradigm Premier 600C center, a fantastic center channel. The center channel is almost as large as the towers, its a beast! These Paradigms have a lot of very cool technology in them. I would call these speakers not warm not bright, just right. I can't stop listening to them. Great with any music you like, very good with movies. Please, please listen to paradigms Premier series of speakers before you buy anything.

Attachments

• 20201210_191741.jpg
    20201210_191741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99