What's new

Onkyo TX DX 797...Rear Power for 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I just purchased a 5 channel amp for the system and am totally happy with the results. The new amp is 150WPC and really cleaned the power signal to speakers. I'M PLEASED:D :D :D
I want to expand my setup to 7.1 from 6.1. Currntly I am powering the rear with the internal amp for the 797. Is there any way to reassign power for 7.1 by using the internal amps in the 797 or must I get another seperate amp to do so.
My wife, I think, filled my manual for the 797 somewhere:angry: .
Thanks
Phil

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
phil,

one good advise: save your money and let the system like it is now. you will NOT get a 7.1 system only hooking up one more speaker. regardless if you use one, two or even ten backsurroundspeakers, a mono signal stays a mono signal. there is no way to get a 7.1 system unless you decide to upgrade to another receiver, or maybe to separates.

regards, holger

BrentW

Auditioning
I have a TX-DS787 and use the matching M-282 2-channel amp for the back surrounds. I agree that DD-EX and DTS-ES are mono rear only, but when you select 7-ch operation on these receivers you get another benefit. You have the option to run the back surrounds in three different way for 5.1 material. You can use the sides as your surrounds, just the backs as surrounds, or use both sets. When you select both sets, the L back surr gets the samem signal as the L side surround, wth the same on the right.

For my room, this option is noce to play with. Also, since this option is variable per each surround decoding method, you have a way to do a different set of surrounds for music and movies.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks