What's new

Onix and AvsForum (1 Viewer)

BrianAe

Second Unit
I was reading a thread at avsforum similar to the one posted here at HTF:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=194936

It is by a guy who is a friend of the owner of av123 (ONIX) who made him a special one off of some rocket speakers in Oak. The poster also aluded to some problems with the ONIX people and avsforum.

Anyway, I hit refresh and low and behold, the thread is gone!

Now I do remember that some time last year I stopped reading avsforum because every thread, no matter how it started, was about how great rockets were followed by an argument about whether that was true or not. Still, I don't think there was anything wrong with the above thread and can't understand why it was deleted.

Anybody know what the deal is?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
A similar thing happened on the UK forums (regarding Gallo & Velodyne speakers)

There's another forum where the admin. is a Velodyne & Gallo rep... so don't bother to voice your opinion or compare these with non Velodyne (ie HSU xxxx at £500 outperfomed at £1500 HGS etc etc) ;-)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I read that thread in AVS forum. If I remember correctly, the poster linked the AV123 thread in his AVS thread. The av123 thread is also embeded in the HTF thread. Could be even more links out there.

Dont know why it was deleted. However, if it was up to me, I would not allow crossposting at all. You are just asking for trouble (trolls).

Im not saying the poster was a troll, no definately not. But you have to set rules - and enforce them.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
David over at AVS has asked that those types of threads (just ordered this, just received that, this is on the way, these guys have the best customer service, blah, blah, blah) not be posted. Now in Mike's case, what with his illness and the special nature of Mark's service, I suppose some slack was in order. But, bottom line is that the post was exactly the type of post that is not allowed.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
so you're asking here at the HTF why a thread at AVS was removed?

is there something here that I'm missing or does that make no sense??

lol.

:b

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Not really. Like two certain UK forums, if that question was asked why that the post was removed- the question would be removed too. And usually the person would get a warning with a ban. Also any posting negatives of certain products would be the same too.

Nice eh? ;-)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I am the one that started the thread over there. Originally when this project started almost a year ago alot of folks there at AVS knew me and were always asking whats up and if I had got my speakers yet. All it was, was an update and did not mean to start anything bad for anyone. I did not intententionally think it broke the rules or I would not have posted it in the first place. Most of you guys know me around here and from over at av123 forum. I think those that do know from all my past posts that I am a pretty good guy that would not want to hurt anyone or their feelings. I had no idea that a rule was being broken over there or I never would have posted in the first place. I believe I posted something similar here as well... If I have offended anyone I am truly sorry as this was not the point at all to attract so much attention.

Mike Lindsey

BrianAe

Second Unit
Hey Mike,

I agree. I thought it was a valuable post and I enjoyed it. That's why I was surprised to see it deleted. I also think it was well within the regualations posted at AVS. Oh well. Anyway, congrats and cheers!

Brian

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
I found alot of web only companies (Rockets,Axiom,Fluance,Outlaw etc)from posts in this forum.
Thanks for stories of theses companies and product reviews.
The more info I receive from this forum the better decision I can make with it.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I too over the last 5 years have replaced everthing in my home theater and its all been by word of mouth from seeing posts on these fourms and at times PMing people involved in the post to find out things about service, reliability and things like that, especially when something is very new out. Anyway I like an open fourm, I hate it when people can't stand to understand that not everyone has their choice in gear. We all have different tastes but there is nothing wrong with that and one should not be slammed for say picking Axiom over Rocket or the other way around. I have friends here that think that Klipsch is the only speaker out there.... fine for them and I am happy that they are happy with what they have purchased. Maybe thats what did it for him and his ears. We are all adults here. I get a kick out of folks talking about their new things be it what I have or something different and share in their excitement!
Mike

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"I get a kick out of folks talking about their new things be it what I have or something different and share in their excitement!"

Thats why the HTF is here :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I don't know that HTF is thicker skinned, I think folks here just tend to be more open minded and friendly, at least compared to the speaker forum at AVS. There are certain individuals there who seem to take pride in provoking others. I only read Mike's original post there and a couple immediately after. From what I understand, it got fairly ugly after that.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I hope it didn't sound like I was putting AVS down.
I just feel too often threads get out of hand over there.

Maybe it's just the opposite in that HTF wont allow the same nonsense on here and they will show people the door that often cause problems. It is usually the same handful of people that turn a decent thread into a flamefest.

I know I wouldn't want the thankless job that the admin and owners of these forums have.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think there is just alot of different type people over there that to some extent are stuborn headed and can't stand to see someone excited about a component or speakers that they themselves don't own. Anyway I can get what I need here anyway and folks are nicer here and on some of ther other forums. Most just get locked up there (AVS) if you have noticed if they get out of hand. Mine got completely taken off and really had nothing bad to say. Hopefully some of the nice people over there will find us here and other places like av123 where there is talk all the time about other brand of speakers and people can manage to keep it civil. Just don't know why they can't at AVS. Everyone should be able to figure out that not everyone is going to like the same thing... thats the nice thing about having so many choices in the audio/video world. The spot is another good place to visit once in awhile. Anyway I appreciate the moderators here and owners and think they run a great ship here.
Mike

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Quotes from Brian KR..

Don't worry about it... AVS's speaker forum has been going down hill for the last year and has no where near the traffic it once had. ( I am not affraid to say it) Anyway you are exactly right.. things do get out of hand way to often on that speaker forum. Never ceases to amaze me how folks will treat you over a set of speakers... You know speakers are important to each of us but there alot more important things going on in this world and your life (I have kids) that are much more important. I would never think of cutting down someone for their choice of speakers. If it works for them who cares... If they want help and info, I am going to help them out knowing what I will be helping them with is with what I have and as long as they know that wheres the beef!

Brandon^B

Auditioning
AVS forum is a terrible place to post, especially if you are happy with your speaker system. Isn't a forum a place in which to research a speaker, then post your impressions of it after you have bought it? If people were not allowed to do this on forums, I would have NEVER been educated and/or picked out which speakers I wanted to audition. HTF is much more civilized and MUCH MUCH MUCH intelligently run. The admins here are great; I cannot say the same for AVS. In fact, AVS admins are TERRIBLE at enforcing the rules, especially when it comes to a certain someone concerning a certain subject(I think we all know what I am referring to). Cheers to HTF as this is my newest and favorite HT forum! Kepp up the good work gents (and ladies). :D

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Yep, there's just some people that'll never understand that Bose makes the best speakers in the world ;)

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks