What's new

Once Upon a Time in the West 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the info Ronald.

Sure. Just to give you a little background on this information...

We caught wind of what Paramount was doing with this title thanks to a post by Kino.

Kino announced they had acquired a handful of Paramount releases. Someone asked about OUATITW and Kino came out and said that Paramount was going to release it themselves.

So, we knew it was coming this year.

The Blu-ray looks phenomenal. I get a little worried about Paramount and 4k as they have botched up a lot of transfers lately so I may wait until there are reviews posted.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Hey Ron and Angelo,
I have been following all of this information also and it's good to get a little more confirmation from you both! Lets screen it together!

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Hey, Guys,
Just thought of something. Remember in Body Heat when William Hurt and Kathleen Turner are talking about killing Richard Crenna? Turner says to Hurt "Ned, stop talking about this, talking makes things happen". Hopefully this will work out with Once Upon A Time In The West.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been expecting this 4K/UHD release because Vudu already has the movie in 4K/HDR. A couple of weeks ago, when I watched it using the Vudu app on my 4KATV, it played back in 4K/Dolby Vision. iTunes still hasn't upgraded to 4K yet, but I expect that to happen any day now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Blu-ray looks phenomenal. I get a little worried about Paramount and 4k as they have botched up a lot of transfers lately so I may wait until there are reviews posted.
If it looks anything like the 4K stream currently available on Vudu, it will be very nice indeed, particularly with the higher bitrate it will undoubtedly have on disc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If it looks anything like the 4K stream currently available on Vudu, it will be very nice indeed, particularly with the higher bitrate it will undoubtedly have on disc.

Now I am tempted to buy the Vudu stream just to be able to speculate how good the UHD could possibly look.
Must resist this very silly idea...

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
In all honesty, I saw Once Upon A Time In The West when it opened and it knocked me out. I always tell folks this movie took the west as far as it good go and is a masterpiece in every way shape and for. Casting, cinematography, music and story are all perfect. This is one of those films that while watching it, actually takes your breath away.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Now I am tempted to buy the Vudu stream just to be able to speculate how good the UHD could possibly look.
Must resist this very silly idea...
For only ten bucks I couldn't resist, and I'll definitely be buying the disc release once it's available.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For only ten bucks I couldn't resist, and I'll definitely be buying the disc release once it's available.
I am going to show restraint. The UHD should come with a digital code. I really like this film and want it on disc, and not just digital.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Remember, OUATITW was shot in 2-perf like every other Italian western of the day so expect image quality closer to 16mm than 35.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Ever since 1984, when the film was re-edited to reinstate the missing 20 minutes left off the original 1969 theatrical release, the opening and closing logos on this film were of the then-current "Blue Mountain" logo and had been present on home media ever since.

Therefore, I wonder if this new master will include the original 1968 Paramount opening and closing logos?
Opening:
Closing:

~Ben

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ever since 1984, when the film was re-edited to reinstate the missing 20 minutes left off the original 1969 theatrical release, the opening and closing logos on this film were of the then-current "Blue Mountain" logo and had been present on home media ever since.

Therefore, I wonder if this new master will include the original 1968 Paramount opening and closing logos?
Opening:
Closing:

~Ben

The 4K stream uses the blue mountain Paramount logo that fades to the blue mountain Paramount graphic logo for both opening and closing the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks