What's new

Once Upon a Time in the West 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Last I looked my iTunes version seems to come from the same source as the Blu-ray and the Blu-ray looks a bit better to me.

This is hard to understand as West Side Story has been scanned in 8K for NHK and that was in 2020.
It is about time that the new data makes its way to UHD Blu-ray:

translation:

New 8K scan and remastering
To be complete on this remastering, you should know that it was done from the original 65mm negative (which dates from 1961). A scan then entirely remastered (elimination of scratches, contrast adjustment, colour correction...).

Hakuno Takahiko, who is in charge of the quality of 8K content broadcast on BS8K 8K, said: "The remastered 8K version of West Side Story beautifully captures the clarity and vivid colours of this beloved masterpiece of the musical genre. People may have seen the film many times and think they know it inside out, but they'll be thrilled to make new discoveries. As the coronavirus pandemic keeps people away from the cinema, I hope that people watching at home will enjoy rediscovering a film that thrilled the world 60 years ago.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Can we talk about West Side Story in its thread and not sidetrack this particular thread.

Yep, to use (part of) a quote from a certain movie those may have been two too many.
Maybe port those posts over to one of the West Side Story threads, they could need a bump.

Going back to the thread subject it is quite interesting that it is hard to find much information about the 4K scan that I am sure they did and the subsequent work done. I would also be interested to hear which version(s) we will be going to see and why.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Another option to get it now for those of us who cannot wait - a UHD BD quality download on Kaleidescape, a whopping 86.8 GB to be exact:

1680524098230.png

Of course there is the small issue of needing Kaleidescape hardware to be able to buy this version so it probably isn't for everybody...

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Ah, thanks.
What seems to be problem with the dated transfer?

The Fade to black error on the Main Titles? (Replacement pressed BDs didn't help, correct?)
No 70mm Mix on the 7.1 Remix?
The Color grading, No?
Well, the 8K scanning and 4K digital restoration/remastering?

Last edited:

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
The digital 4k of West Side Story is pretty bad. Looks very dated.
That is something you need complain to MGM Studios, Inc. about.

What it needs is:

A Fresh new 8K Scan of the 65mm OCN/IP and 4K Digital Restoration/Remaster by FotoKem Laboratories, Burbank.
Use the 70mm 6-Track Mix instead of remixing the soundtrack like the 2011 BD with 7.1 Audio (source in need for confirmation, wether it's 70mm mix or a Music and Effects on the L&R/S/BL&BR and dialogue on Center speakers)
And of course, give the home video users a choice to watch the film with or without Intermission/Entr'acte (like the 2003 MGM DVD, onwards).

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Can we talk about West Side Story in its thread and not sidetrack this particular thread.
I'll do what can to stay on topic. (Pardon me for going away from "C'era Una Volta Il West" [4K UHD] For a moment there. Carry on, Bob.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Another option to get it now for those of us who cannot wait - a UHD BD quality download on Kaleidescape, a whopping 86.8 GB to be exact:

View attachment 180588

Of course there is the small issue of needing Kaleidescape hardware to be able to buy this version so it probably isn't for everybody...
The VUDU 4K looks fantastic

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
More good news! Myself I am still looking forward to the UHD disc release which I am sure we will see by next year at the latest.
I look forward to it too, but I am happy to have been able to enjoy this exceptional 4k version many times over the past few months.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I look forward to it too, but I am happy to have been able to enjoy this exceptional 4k version many times over the past few months.

If this is a movie that you watch that often it obviously was the best decision to buy the vudu version but even with movies that I like a lot I rarely watch them more often than once every couple of years so I prefer to wait.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I pine for a proper "flat release"restoration of the original WSS as it premiered.
The new OUATITW looks so great I can't wait for the physical 4k release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We’re not talking about West Side Story again. Any further such posts in this thread will be deleted without warning.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
We’re not talking about West Side Story again. Any further such posts in this thread will be deleted without warning.
Ok, you asked for it. Where is there a thread about "West Side Story" (1961) on this forum?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks