What's new

Pre-Order Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Attachments

• 81wqhP+YHiL._SL1500_.jpg
    81wqhP+YHiL._SL1500_.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited by a moderator:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
'Bout time Tarantino's shot-on-film movies got released on 4K discs. I'm still holding out for a new scan on disc of Reservoir Dogs, which isn't slathered all over in DNR. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is one of the very few movies I'll go and see at a movie theatre, even though I know I'm going to purchase the 4K disc later. Really looking forward to this.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My 2 cents-

It’s a good film, but a bit too long. DiCaprio and Pitt had better chemistry than I expected, and both were terrific. The production design is Oscar-worthy, in my opinion. Two outstanding segments in the film.
An unexpected ending in that the film points the viewer into thinking something else will happen.
On my list of QT’s films, I’d put it in the middle of the pack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I actually waited on a line to get into the theater at BAM - it's been forever since I had to wait on a line to see a movie. The film could have been a few minutes shorter however I loved the film and I'm eager to get the bluray; this is a film that definitely warrants multiple viewings.

No spoilers, but if you see it in the theater, don't run out before watching the credits!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I actually waited on a line to get into the theater at BAM - it's been forever since I had to wait on a line to see a movie. The film could have been a few minutes shorter however I loved the film and I'm eager to get the bluray; this is a film that definitely warrants multiple viewings.

No spoilers, but if you see it in the theater, don't run out before watching the credits!
Something happens during the end credits?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]It is imperative that those planning to screen, stay far from reviews and discussions of content.
Thanks to this heads-up from RAH, I am primed and prepped; as the spoilers and repeat offenders of my life have long been identified and I'll know exactly who to avoid throughout the next few days. Hmm-m-m-m, perhaps I ought to play it doubly safe and sneak out later on tonight. Yup, that just might work out fine.;)

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thanks to this heads-up from RAH, I am primed and prepped; as the spoilers and repeat offenders of my life have long been identified and I'll know exactly who to avoid throughout the next few days. Hmm-m-m-m, perhaps I ought to play it doubly safe and sneak out later tonight. Yup, that just might work out fine.;)

I’m going to be the odd man out and say that I’m actually looking forward to seeing it even more since I found out the spoilers. I don’t think I would have responded well if I were to go in blind.

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
Just saw it last and absolutely loved it. However I have some issues with the 35mm presentation. I’ll do my best to tip toe around spoilers...

The biggest issue was the sound. It sounded like it was a magnetic or optical soundtrack but was dragging or being tugged through the projector. The pitch would drag, most evident when songs played on the soundtrack. Was this perceived pitch problem on the digital soundtrack?

The other issue was the reel changes. There were black flashes at almost every change- almost like they weren’t spliced correctly. Also the print looked pretty beat up for just coming out a few days ago, but given the “vibe” of the movie this was part of the look!

Did the digital presentation look and sound like this? FYI, I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse in Kansas City, MO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it last and absolutely loved it. However I have some issues with the 35mm presentation. I’ll do my best to tip toe around spoilers...

The biggest issue was the sound. It sounded like it was a magnetic or optical soundtrack but was dragging or being tugged through the projector. The pitch would drag, most evident when songs played on the soundtrack. Was this perceived pitch problem on the digital soundtrack?

The other issue was the reel changes. There were black flashes at almost every change- almost like they weren’t spliced correctly. Also the print looked pretty beat up for just coming out a few days ago, but given the “vibe” of the movie this was part of the look!

Did the digital presentation look and sound like this? FYI, I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse in Kansas City, MO.
I've seen it multiple times in multiple theaters digitally and I didn't notice any problem with the pitch. And there was definitely not black frames where the reel changes would occur on the 35mm prints.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
On the Film Tech forum it has said that some 35mm prints had some sound problems.
Of course on a Digital presentation none of this will happen.
Has anyone seen a 70mm print yet ?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don’t understand the desire to view an analogue dupe, as opposed to the original scans.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

That sounds like either incompetence or a deliberate attempt to mimic poor projection. The 35mm prints have digital tracks, why would they show it via the optical track? Black frames at the changeover, assuming they're using a platter, are the result of poor projection practice to save 5 minutes during the eventual break-down of the print. If they're running changeovers, then the black flashes show a lack of skill. And if the print is actually damaged after only a couple of days, they should be forced to remove their film projector and never allowed to touch film again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks