Once Upon A Time In China re-release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny Jr., Sep 11, 2004.

1. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

My friend recently bought the 3 disc set of once upon a time in china and told me that the video is horrible. I was also told about a two disc set that is apparently a re-release and is half the price of the 3 disc set. I am curious if anyone knows if this is the same release, just at a cheaper price and if the video is truly as horrible as my friend has told me it is?

Thanks

2. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

If it is from Columbia/Sony, avoid at all costs.

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Yes they reissued it as a 2 disc release with all three movies. As far as the video goes I didn't think they were all that bad. They seemed better to me than my original Mega-Star DVDs from HK.

--Ian

4. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

There is a new release from Fortune Star which is much better than the Columbia release.
    http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

The video is much better than the Columbia DVD's which range from horrible to acceptable. There are also featurettes on Wong Fai Hung which are interesting. You can also check dddhouse.com to compare prices.

Matt

5. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I picked up the Fortune Star set, but haven't gotten to check it out yet....
    I have the C/TS releases as well, the video is pretty sad, I found it humorous that they each include the English dubbed as a special feature and each one is ~30 minutes shorter than the film proper.

6. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

grrrrrrrr. I really wanted to pick up this set but, it looks like it is definately the wrong choice. I don't want to import but, the region 1 dvd's seem so bad. I dont' know what to do..lol perhaps I will try to re-enact scenes and film then with a digital camera. lol

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Are there any copies of Once Upon A Time In China & America with the correct OAR readily available anywhere?

--Ian