What's new

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever Blu-ray May 26, 2020 (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I for one am happy with the release. I never thought I would see the day this would come out on blu-ray from Paramount itself! I am very excited as it looks like someone at Paramount who believes in blu-ray has entered or taken over their home video department and decided that blu-rays of their catalog titles are important. This was initally scheduled as a roadshow for Paramount but I guess after Paint your Wagon's failure, Paramount decided to shorten the film. From what I have heard for some time now, there was an overture and intermission actually recorded, and also it is said that Paramount cut some of the songs.

The original Broadway Cast CD of this score is absolutely fantastic, and is a good sign of what the film could have been. I don't know which songs were not used but filmed (or recorded), but the Broadway CD has some great songs that sadly never made it into the film. Does anyone know which songs were recorded but not used? I have read the Broadway script and there are many changes made for the film. Streisand's character was really heightened, the Broadway script never had her character as out-front as she is in the movie. Still, there is something really charming about this movie and I really do like it, despite what I think it could have been had they followed the Broadway version a little more closely.

The stereo sound in 5.1 on this disc really sounds good, although you can really discern that Paramount used the album recording masters, I assume the original movie stems are lost. I don't think I have ever heard of this movie being released in stereo. One strange thing, when I switch to the mono tracks, I get a dolby digital 5.1 mix (compressed) and not the mono as listed on the back jacket.

I am now really hoping for Paint Your Wagon, because it has been shown on Reteroplex and has the overture, intermission music and the quality of the picture and sound is just stunning. I was blown away by the sound on the overture and main titles. And, of course, I would gladly welcome the roadshow version of Darling Lili (NOT Blake Edwards cut that deleted some great musical sequences).

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Wait till we're 65 is a great song (just watched it on the On a Clear Day website of cut numbers), it isn't orchestrated as well as the Broadway version. The one I really love from the Broadway show is "The S.S. Bernard Cohn." A great number. I hope one day they do a search for the missing scenes and songs, perhaps someone has them and they could do something similar to A Star is Born, but I doubt it will ever happen. What a shame, would have been a great roadshow with the overture, ect. I still absolutely love the Broadway cast CD.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
There are people in high and low places who consider Streisand a security risk.:rolleyes:
Not so much a security risk, but a risk to one's sanity. One burst of that unspeakable vibrato, and ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks