What's new

Olive announced first titles from the Republic catalog: "High Noon" and the original "Invasion of th (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bob Furmanek said:
I agree Matt, I just want to be sure they're done in the correct AR.
IOTBS is an interesting case: it was composed for widescreen but released in a process slightly wider than the director intended. Which ratio would you go with?
For the record, the film completed shooting in 1.85:1 on April 27, 1955 and the announcement of a 2.1:1 Superscope release wasn't made until a month later on May 28, 1955.
5bb1d279_May281955.jpeg
if it were me, I'd include 1.85 and Superscope. That way you get it all. But I think it's pretty clear to all that Olive have nothing to do with the transfers - if new ones were done at some point they were either done by Paramount or someone else. I think we're going to be at the mercy of whatever they're handed. In the case of High Noon, that should look splendid. If they get around to The Quiet Man, we'll have to wait and see if it's something new or the absolutely dreadful previous DVD transfer. I think as with their Paramount-licensed films, it will be case by case - some of those look fine, some don't.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/320319/olive-announced-first-titles-from-the-republic-catalog-high-noon-and-the-original-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers#post_3920339
if it were me, I'd include 1.85 and Superscope. That way you get it all. But I think it's pretty clear to all that Olive have nothing to do with the transfers - if new ones were done at some point they were either done by Paramount or someone else. I think we're going to be at the mercy of whatever they're handed. In the case of High Noon, that should look splendid. If they get around to The Quiet Man, we'll have to wait and see if it's something new or the absolutely dreadful previous DVD transfer. I think as with their Paramount-licensed films, it will be case by case - some of those look fine, some don't.

High Noon had its issues too.

Crawdaddy

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator
As Superscope is a post-production process, wouldn't that mean that if INVASION was restored from the original camera negative it could be transferred opened up? I'm not saying that's what should be done, as it WAS released to theaters in the 2:1 ratio, but the original negative would have the fuller image. I think it's more likely they used a print rather than the negative, but I'd love to be wrong.
If you want an idea of what the film looks like opened up, take a look at the trailer which is not in Superscope.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm just thrilled to finally retire my hideous DVD. I tried watching it a few months ago, and it looked terrible.
Oh, and it's one of my top ten favorite films of all time, so I'm extra thrilled to cross one more title of my blu-ray wish list. This will make 8 out of 10 (the only holdouts now are Vertigo and Portrait of Jennie). Thanks, Olive! :D
Also ---- I totally dig the cover. I prefer this poster though:
62ad5f98_Invasion-Of-The-Body-Snatchers-1956-poster-31-400x300.jpeg

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
Update from Olive: A correction to the original press release.

I just received the following E-mail from the Olive publicist:

(quote)

[SIZE= 11pt]BOTH FILMS WERE RESTORED OF A FINEGRAIN 35MM PRINT – NOT THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVE
The original negative for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS does not exist and is considered lost.
The HIGH NOON negative does exist – But this restoration was done off a FINEGRAIN.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt](unquote)[/SIZE]

Its available for preorder at Classicflix.com
Im glad its going to be in its orginal *scope* format. Im really looking forward to it. Its the biggest one I wanted from Olives library :)

RKR1970

Agent
Real Name
Richard Karl Ryan
These two titles were "restored" by Paramount from older FGM's, so I would hold off until reviews are posted.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
SeanAx said:
Update from Olive: A correction to the original press release.
I just received the following E-mail from the Olive publicist:
(quote)
BOTH FILMS WERE RESTORED OF A FINEGRAIN 35MM PRINT – NOT THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVE
The original negative for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS does not exist and is considered lost.
The HIGH NOON negative does exist – But this restoration was done off a FINEGRAIN.
(unquote)

I believe the "off the negative" comment in the press release was just what all those Republic titles used to say - in the case of The Quiet Man we all knew that was a load of hooey - as mentioned elsewhere, all Olive can do is release what they are given. In some cases that will be okay and in many others it will not.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by SeanAx /t/320319/olive-announced-first-titles-from-the-republic-catalog-high-noon-and-the-original-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers#post_3920273
I contacted Olive and was told that Johnny Guitar "is right around the corner."

I'm excited about the upcoming release of High Noon, but this announcement has me absolutely giddy!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm excited, disappointed, & confused all at the same time.:confused:
The missing extras on "High Noon" is disturbing to me, but not as much as the complete absence of extras on "Invasion..." which in the very least is worthy of a commentary track. That in conjunction with the incorrect press release has me extremely hesistant to pre-order. The short time to market also has me concerned that these could be the same transfers, so I will wait until the first reviews.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Excited about both, but I will echo others' sentiment (and reiterate my own) that the ideal way to release Invasion of the Body Snatchers after all of these years, and finally on Blu-ray, is (1) with both aspect ratios -- and, I think even more importantly, (2) with both the theatrical cut and Don Siegel's preferred cut without the framing scenes and voice-over narration. Missed opportunity, anyone? Yes, we're looking a gift horse in the mouth.

And I may have missed something above, but it looks like I'll be hanging on to my Criterion LDs of both films, for the commentary tracks (I think I recall IOTBS having a good one), and the 2-disc DVD of High Noon for additional worthy extras.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
DaveM4964 said:
Any chance of seeing Body Snatchers as originally filmed w/o the added scenes and narration?
Seconded.
My DVD is 2.00:1. I've watched it a few times, both as a film (for enjoyment) and studying the framing/aspect ratio, and I've yet to be struck by a shot that looks 'wrong'.
Steve W

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I may be in the minority but I prefer the '78 remake. The Siegel film is brilliant but I feel the remake is a bit more "dynamic", it sort of amplifies the original story to a certain extent and gives it a more epic feel. It'll be great to finally have the original, though, even if the BD will be less than perfect.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
For years I maintained strict allegiance to the Siegel original as the "only" IOTBS film worth its salt, and I am grateful for the ability to grow and change. I think the Kaufman is absolutely brilliant, and the two will forever share the body snatching place of honor on my shelf. I even like Ferrara's simpler but still effective 1993 Body Snatchers, which I've only seen a couple of times several years apart, so I haven't spoiled it for myself.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
It's interesting to me that all versions of this movie reflect the fears of American society at the times of their release. The original reflected the anxiety of the Cold War. The '78 version showed the milieu of a changing society, with "new age" philosophies portraying non-believers as the enemy. I can't remember much about Ferrara's version, but I think it dealt with the militarization of society. The Invasion seemed to hint at fears about terrorism and immigration.
Doug

Both IOFBS are right up there - I prefer the 78 version also but thats by just a fraction. Both are great. Id like the 1993 Body Snatchers get on Blu to round off all the IOFBS titles :)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I like the original the best, with the '78 version a close second. The Invasion was pretty poor, in my opinion, although it was nice having Daniel Craig in there. Kevin McCarthy's slow degeneration into complete paranoia is unmatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks