Old system, what should I update first?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Simon, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

I have an 8 year old system that I need to upgrade. But do to a budget I'm going to do it one thing at a time.
    Here it goes, and please be kind [​IMG]

Kenwood Pro logic receiver 100w x 3 25w x 2
    Infinity Studio Master towers 12" woofers
    Infinity center channel, entry level
    Atlantic Technology surrounds

This equipment was bought when I was in my early 20's and had my first place and was throwing a lot of parties. So loud music was what I was looking for. Now I want to slowly convert it to a basic Home Theater.
    I recently purchased a Sony DVD player and a Sony 36" Wega TV (KV-36FS200). Not a HD but it was an open box and 40% off so I couldn't pass it up.
    What should I upgrade first? What would have the biggest impact? New Digital receiver? Better speakers? Subwoofer?

Thanks!!!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I couldn't find any info online on your speakers, but I think for HT a good receiver would be the first upgrade. Speakers are probably more important, so that also would be a good choice, but DD 5.1/DTS would give you a significant sound upgrade now. If music is more important though, speakers are the way to go, at least the front two for now. Again, I have no idea how those infinities sound, but I'm guessing more loud than articulated, as you mentioned. You can stick with only average speakers for surrounds for now, as a good sub is more important IMO than nice surronds. So receiver/speakers, then sub, the order of the speakers or receiver first depends on whether you're more music or HT probably. Go take a listen around to speakers and start reading up on receivers.

3. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

The Infinty's are SM122. I bought all the speakers at Crutchfield at least 8 years ago and I can't find any of the manuals [​IMG]
    Thanks Chris for the comments, what you said makes a lot of sense. So now I have to decide between a receiver or front speakers first. Anyone else?
    I seen the HK 520 at Onecall for $500. Sounds like a real good deal. They go for $900 at Crutchfield, which I feel is often overpriced.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I had the Infinity SM115's. I say go for a good set or pair of speakers you can live with for a few years first. Bookshelves plus a good sub, like the HSU or SVS's or a better Paradigm.

I also had a pair of Atlantic surrounds, 154's, I think. They should be last on the upgrade list.

My path would be -

1. Main Speakers / Sub
    2. Center
    3. Receiver
    4. Surrounds

You can ebay those Infinity's for around $200 - I got $227 for the 115's about a year ago.

Good Luck!

5. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

Those are the same surrounds I have, 154SR. So I should off the Infinity's and go with a set of bookshelfs and a sub?
    That sounds like a good plan, Those Infinity's take up a lot of space! Now I just have to decide on which ones to buy [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm with chris.

without a doubt, you should get a receiver first. your prologic kenwood doesn't have dd/dts decoding. that feature alone makes a world of difference in ht.