What's new

Old system, what should I update first? (1 Viewer)

Art Simon

Grip
I have an 8 year old system that I need to upgrade. But do to a budget I'm going to do it one thing at a time.
Here it goes, and please be kind :)

Kenwood Pro logic receiver 100w x 3 25w x 2
Infinity Studio Master towers 12" woofers
Infinity center channel, entry level
Atlantic Technology surrounds

This equipment was bought when I was in my early 20's and had my first place and was throwing a lot of parties. So loud music was what I was looking for. Now I want to slowly convert it to a basic Home Theater.
I recently purchased a Sony DVD player and a Sony 36" Wega TV (KV-36FS200). Not a HD but it was an open box and 40% off so I couldn't pass it up.
What should I upgrade first? What would have the biggest impact? New Digital receiver? Better speakers? Subwoofer?

Thanks!!!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find any info online on your speakers, but I think for HT a good receiver would be the first upgrade. Speakers are probably more important, so that also would be a good choice, but DD 5.1/DTS would give you a significant sound upgrade now. If music is more important though, speakers are the way to go, at least the front two for now. Again, I have no idea how those infinities sound, but I'm guessing more loud than articulated, as you mentioned. You can stick with only average speakers for surrounds for now, as a good sub is more important IMO than nice surronds. So receiver/speakers, then sub, the order of the speakers or receiver first depends on whether you're more music or HT probably. Go take a listen around to speakers and start reading up on receivers.

Art Simon

Grip
The Infinty's are SM122. I bought all the speakers at Crutchfield at least 8 years ago and I can't find any of the manuals :frowning:
Thanks Chris for the comments, what you said makes a lot of sense. So now I have to decide between a receiver or front speakers first. Anyone else?
I seen the HK 520 at Onecall for $500. Sounds like a real good deal. They go for $900 at Crutchfield, which I feel is often overpriced.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I had the Infinity SM115's. I say go for a good set or pair of speakers you can live with for a few years first. Bookshelves plus a good sub, like the HSU or SVS's or a better Paradigm.

I also had a pair of Atlantic surrounds, 154's, I think. They should be last on the upgrade list.

My path would be -

1. Main Speakers / Sub
2. Center
3. Receiver
4. Surrounds

You can ebay those Infinity's for around $200 - I got $227 for the 115's about a year ago.

Good Luck!

Art Simon

Grip
Those are the same surrounds I have, 154SR. So I should off the Infinity's and go with a set of bookshelfs and a sub?
That sounds like a good plan, Those Infinity's take up a lot of space! Now I just have to decide on which ones to buy :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm with chris.

without a doubt, you should get a receiver first. your prologic kenwood doesn't have dd/dts decoding. that feature alone makes a world of difference in ht.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks