Old School unrated missing scenes from theatrical release

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StephenP, Jun 11, 2003.

1. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

The scene where Beanie is at his kid's soccer game and yells at the coach is missing from the unrated version. It is there in the gag reel, which is what made me remember seeing it in the theater. Is anything else missing from this cut? It seems there was very little added, such as a few more seconds of will ferrell streaking, but I was really disappointed to notice LESS film rather than more.

2. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

3. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Went to rent this yesterday but only found the R-rated copy. And since Dreamworks, being the marketing geniuses that they are, only put out a fullscreen edition of the R-rated cut I did not get it. I'll look for the unrated version elsewhere.

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Yeah to reiterate, that seen as well as a few others are shown as the end credits are playing.

5. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Anyone have a pic of the Canadian version's cover?

I'm curious to see what the french translation is. And how badly its been integrated into the cover art.

6. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I watched the unrated Old School the other day, and noticed no immediate difference from the theatrical cut. Does anyone know what was added?

7. Francis Yee Loy

Francis Yee Loy Auditioning

I believe the alternate French title on the Canadian release is called "Vive la Fraternite"...it's listed towards the bottom of the packaging in a smaller sized lettering.

Francis

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I could be misremembering, but I could've sworn that when I saw Old School theatrically, the band at the reception at one point sang, "You're my ****in' lady!" in their second cover, but I didn't notice that on the unrated version. If my memories are wrong, please let me know 'cause I definitely felt a tinge of disappointment that line wasn't presented here.

Matt: I don't think there are any new scenes...just extended ones. I'm almost positive the 'instruction' scene with Andy Dick is longer, particularly that shot of the carrot shavings that I think wasn't in the R-rated version. My roommate noted that the early portion of Frank's streak was slightly longer, and a user on another forum said that the KY wrestling match is extended by a few seconds.

9. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

This was a decent movie but a complete scam of a dvd.
    When I (and i'm sure i'm not alone here) see the words 'Unrated' on a dvd I immediately think - more nudity/sex/etc.
    There is none of this added to the Unrated Old School - likewise with the 2 American Pie movies.
    I see this marketing ploy from a studio who cares of nothing else but big fat money to line their pockets.
    Hell, their isn't even a track listing card/booklet in the dvd case. Nothing.
    The "difference" I noticed between this cut and the theatrical cut was about ten more seconds of dialog by Andy Dick. Wow. That really is 'Out Of Control' like the DVD is billed.
    I realise that when a movie gets a new cut - like a director's edition - it usually is not rated(submitted to the MPAA) but in this case - and that of the American Pie movies, they know that most kids will perceive this as something having more nudity/sex/etc. and that they "Must Buy" it because of that.
    In fact, had this been the version out of the door from the get-go it definately would have been Rated R. In fact, I'm a little surprised this didn't get a PG-13 cause I've seen brief nudity/language just like this in other PG-13 movies.

All things aside, the 20 minute spoof on Inside The Actor's Studio is worth the price of admission. Awesome!

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Ryan, haven't seen the Unrated Old School, but there are definitely differences in the American Pie movies. The alternate version of the pie scene in particular.

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Odd, I only saw fool-screen versions of the un-rated DVD on the shelf at the local Futureshop. Does that mean there is no widescreen version?

12. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Well, American Pie 1 unrated version is the NC-17 equivalent first cut which was toned down to get an R-rating. Although the differences are minor, I feel that a would be NC-17 is sufficient to call unrated and market it as so.

13. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

These "Unrated" cuts are generally not extremely more risque compared to their theatrical cuts. Normally, the "unrated" cuts are prepared with the intent of releasing an R-rated movie. The MPAA usually still has a problem with them and the cuts that are forced upon the film are usually minimal. The DVD format offers the ability to release the original version without the MPAA's ridiculous guidelines, even though the difference might not be mind-blowing.

14. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, he definitely sings "Lady" at the wedding receptiong. I just watched the Unrated dvd last night. Having seent he movie twice I noticed the Andy Dick scene extended, and Frank running out of the frat house naked is added in too. Great movie...my favorite scene will always be the tranquilizer in the jugular. "You're crazy...I like you...but you're crazy!"

15. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

16. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Not too bad.

The back cover is a mess from what I saw today.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

18. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

19. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer