What's new

Okay guys, what do you think of these B&W systems (1 Viewer)

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
okay... here are two options:

4 DM602 S3's at $525 a pair, and an LCR60 S3 center ~$325.

or..

4 DM303's and an LCR3 ceter with an ASW300 sub for $1000

personally, the second option at 1000 dollars really piqued my interest, because it will provide the little subwoofer to hold off until i get my Tempest up and running...

i demoed both of these, and really really loved the sound.

are these good deals, and would you think it'd be much worthwhile to hold off for the larger system with the 602s? I think i'd be happy with the 303's.. but would like some other peoples' input. thanks

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
oh, the store also has a little trade-up dealy, where you can trade in your used speakers up to one year later, for thier full value in store credit towards more expensive loudspeakers.

so i could really use the smaller ones for a while until i have the funds to upgrade if i feel i need more BA-ZAM factor to my mains.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
I would stick with the 600 series. There a better built and better sounding speaker. Sounds like if you went for the 300 series you would be cutting yourself short just to get a sub that you know you would be upgrading anyways.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
well i'd go with the 300 series mainly because of the considerably cheaper costs.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
The 303 is a good speaker, but the 600 series is significantly better and definitely worth the extra cost.

I think the best way to buy speakers is to look at them as a long term investment. You should get something that you know will suit your needs for at least the next 5 years. If you already know that you'll want to upgrade your 303s in a year or so, then just get the 602s now.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I believe B&W does have some pretty good products and most will do a great job for you. I visited a local B&M and demoed B&W 600 series and the CM2 this week trying to get options for a friends setup. The B&M pushed the CM2 pretty hard.... even to the point of almost trashing the 600 series. Of course the CM2 were 50% higher too....

While B&W are an excellent brand and certainly one of the premier speaker manufacturers, IMHO they are a little stiff in price. They'll do a great job for ya but you're gonna pay for them.....

Another friend of mine has the 600i series (several years old now) and I must say they do a grat job with HT and music. Very clean and clear and surprisingly full for their size.

Vic Barry

Grip
Hi...
I bought a pair of 602s about 2-3 years back....All i can say is if your budget allows, buy them.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Hey guys, pardon the interuption, but are the 600 series magnetically shielded? I could have sworn I read that they aren't. But I could easily be wrong. I heard the 602 S3's and I too was extremely impressed. Could be an option for me if they are magnetically shielded.

Thanks,
Lee

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Lee,

I know the center channel's are. I have an LCR60 on my Wega right now without any trouble what so ever. So I'd say go for it.

James,

How big is your room? You might be better off with the 600's or the 601's for the rear instead of the 602's. It would save you some money.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, i just gutted out my room, and put my Mission 781s up in front set for 2 channel listening.

i think i'm going to do this:

Buy one pair of 602 S3s.

Use those with the missions. then as i get up more funds, i'll buy another set of 602s or the 600s, then a center channel.

Lee M T

Second Unit
I'll be piecing my speakers together too James. Gotta do what you gotta do. Either going with 602's like you, Energy C-3's, or Mirage Omni 60's. I'll be using some Infinity's for rear duty until I can replace them. The end result is what counts. :emoji_thumbsup:

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. i'm 16, i've got a few more years in this house :D

i just found out my grandparents are selling thier house soon... :frowning: :thumbsdown: :angry:

i practically grew UP in that house.

on the bright side, i am getting around 50,000 dollars out of that. natrually its mostly going to college funds but i'll see if my parents will give me 1k or so to help...

ugh, my grandparents are worth far more than 50k... i'll have to make sure they dont go far, i'm sure they could find a nice condo locally..

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
yea... i was sitting there listening to my 781s with some crappy sony sub i have jimi-rigged up and thought to myself.

"This sub will work well enough for the time being. I'd rather have high quality mains/surrounds and then a good sub, rather than mediocre mains and a good sub"

plus, truth be told i feel in love with the 602s... they really do sound great, and i feel that i will be happiest with them.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
To my ears the 602 S3's and the LCR 600 is a incredible combination. Good idea on waiting on your surrounds if you need to and putting your $$ into your mains and center first imo.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, the Mission 781s will cover for surround duty. Timbre matching between the Fronts/Rears, IMO, isnt essential. I'll make due for the time it takes to raise the cash for identical surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks