What's new

Ok, so which star trek fans are excited? (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes methinks that the entire Star Trek universe has already played itself out, so giving us anything that would be really 'new' would be impossible.

Glenn

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to be a lonely voice of dissent in saying that I really enjoyed Insurrection. Although it moved slowly, I enjoyed the theme of the movie and the play between the characters. I also like that they did a lighthearted episode after First Contact (which I also loved). Generations I felt only exists as a bridge between the two series. There are moments I enjoyed from that film, but overall it's trash. It's better than Trek V though.

Nemesis is a must see for me. I won't be watching previews or reading rumor sites though. I nearly ruined First Contact by knowing everything about the film going into it. I'll be going into this one fresh.

I'm not sure why everyone is convinced that this will be the last outing for TNG. If this is because of a plot spoiler, don't let me know, but if it's Paramount or Patrick Stewart, or Brent Spiner - just remember.... Star Trek 2 was Leonard Nimoy's "last" film. Star Trek 4 and 5 were supposed to be the last. First Contact and Insurrection were EACH supposed to be Spiner's last. If this one makes bank, we'll see another TNG oriented movie.

I HONESTLY don't beleive a Voyager movie would succeed. They don't seem to want to consider a DS9 movie, and an Enterprise movie (if likely at all) is 8 years away.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Sometimes methinks that the entire Star Trek universe has already played itself out, so giving us anything that would be really 'new' would be impossible.
You've got that right. Paramount has strip mined that franchise for every penny they could possibly get and more.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hey there, Tino: When I get some time later today I'll see if I can fix that authorship anomaly marring your excellent Nemesis thread.

I'm enjoying this range of opinions, from people all of whom I respect.

Me? Still very hopeful about this one. Of course, even Khan doesn't approach the level of excellence found in first- and second-season TOS, third- through sixth-season TNG, as well as seasons three through seven of DS9. But, though the features fail in hard science-fiction terms, they are a lot of fun--some of the time.

Yeah, it looks as if Nemesis might dust off some Trek conventions that have been tried countless times before. Yes, it looks like elements of Khan are being thrown into this latest mix. But for all that, I am looking forward to this one big time.

And I just bet you than in addition to cameos by Kate Mulgrew and Will Wheaton, there will be, somewhere in the script, some sort of historical reference to the "legendary Enterprise NX-01 and the pioneering Jonathan Archer."

As for Wesley: Will he appear in some ethereal mist, along with The Traveler?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks Jack. Although I believe Crawdaddy tried to fix that anomaly and told me there were no administrative options to do it. But hey, give it a shot, maybe it needs a Trekker at the helm.:)
And I agree that Nemesis does indeed have elements of many previous Treks, however I think they are used greatly here to enhance this story in particular. For me, it all worked.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the even/odd pattern will keep going and we'll get a decent one.
That said, however, so far the TNG movies have yet to grab me as much as the TOS movies did. For lack of a better way to say it, they just don't feel like movies to me - there's a grandeur that seems to be lacking from them, and they all come across to me as if they could just have easily been two-part episodes that are being shown on the big screen. I'm not sure if it's the cinematography, the writing, both, or something entirely seperate, but they just feel like they're missing something. The theatrical adventures, to my mind, should stand out from the broadcast adventures in some way, they should be something that we wouldn't see on TV. So far - except for portions of First Contact, which so far is to my mind the most 'theatrical' of the TNG films - they've yet to come across like that to me.
Here's hoping, though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It would be the writing and direction. Remember, David A. Carson directed Generations, and one of the biggest criticisms lobbed against it was that the film felt like a glorified television episode. Carson, it seems, had only directed for television; Generations was his first theatrical feature. Subsequently, the two Frakes-directed features possessed the scope and feel of television episodes as well.

What is needed for the tenth feature is a truly cinematic approach. The plot elements, as we believe them to be presently, almost have the scope of a Wagnerian opera.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
As for Wesley: Will he appear in some ethereal mist, along with The Traveler?
I looked at this info on the IMDB last week and I could have sworn that the guy who played "The Traveler" was listed under the complete cast info. But now it is not there.

Anyone concur or am I losing my mind?

Peace,

DM

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too enjoyed Insurrection - so I guess there's two of us here. :)
I didn't read the synopsis, I like going into films blind. I have generally enjoyed the next-gen's adventures. Although Stuart Baird has only directed US Marshals and Executive Decision, so I'm not real sure of his directorial skills. I did enjoy E.D. (didn't see U.S.M.), and anyone who kills Seagal in the first 30 minutes of a film
can't be all bad! :D
I am eagerly anticipating this movie.
Hey! And Wil Wheaton's back! Cool!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that they should have finished the Dominion War in a movie. Can you imagine the awesome coolness? The battle of 6 armies (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Dominion, Cardassian, Breen) all clashing on the Founder's homeworld with ground troops while the starships battle overhead? BwwaahhhhhhhhhH!!!!!!!!!!!

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Can you imagine the awesome coolness? The battle of 6 armies (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Dominion, Cardassian, Breen) all clashing on the Founder's homeworld with ground troops while the starships battle overhead? BwwaahhhhhhhhhH!!!!!!!!!!!
Ooers. :D
Y'know, I don't know squat about the Dominion War. Never watched enough of (was it DS9?) to know what the plotline was, as I gave up on TV a few years back.
But...
If the powers that be overseeing the ST empire had the balls to approve that, a good (new! Bring in some fresh new ideas!) screenwriter was found, and a good director (first impulse would be Aliens-era Cameron, but I'm sure there are others that could do this decently)...this could really create a movie worth seeing.
I'd just love to see what could happen with some really fresh blood injected into the series, either theatrically or on TV. Can you imagine the bizarre edge that some of today's more interesting directors (Proyas, Fincher) could give the ST franchise? I'm not necessarily suggesting this should happen, or even that it would be the best idea - but it's a fun idea to play with. Kind of a 'What If?' scenario.
Anyway, I'm rambling, and straying further and further from the topic at hand. I'll shut up now. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I agree about the NG Trek films lacking in grandeur. First Contact tried really hard to soar, and it was quite entertaining, it just didn't hit that same high that Khan did.

So, you guys who've read the script...should I read it, or should I wait and not spoil it for myself?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If the powers that be overseeing the ST empire had the balls to approve that, a good (new! Bring in some fresh new ideas!) screenwriter was found, and a good director (first impulse would be Aliens-era Cameron, but I'm sure there are others that could do this decently)...this could really create a movie worth seeing.
They did in a way. The final 5 or so episodes followed the Cardassian uprising to take back their homeworld, and MASSIVE space battles. I just keep picturing what they would have done with 10x that money :)
The Dominion War is some of the finest Sci-Fi TV ever done. AMAZING 3 seasons.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Just make sure there are lots of space battles, nd a few of the good guys die as well, and it should make for a good movie.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Nemesis as the last TNG Film:

When asked if NEMESIS would be the last film, as have been the rumors around the production, Frakes said, “I suspect that’s going to be determined by money. Don’t you think? If this one does well, why would they stop?”
I found this on Cinescape.com and it pretty much fits in with my theory about this being the "last" TNG film.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
They did in a way. The final 5 or so episodes followed the Cardassian uprising to take back their homeworld, and MASSIVE space battles. I just keep picturing what they would have done with 10x that money
The Dominion War is some of the finest Sci-Fi TV ever done. AMAZING 3 seasons.
Hmmm...good to know! Pity that I missed it. Hopefully I'll be able to afford the DS9 DVD sets when they come out in a couple years then...at the moment, though, I can't afford TNG. :frowning: (sigh)

Luc D

Second Unit
Mike,

Major spoiler that can answer your question...

Data does indeed die, but only for a few minutes until he is uploaded into Beta. The scene that follows is the exact same one as in The Search for Spock where he regains his consciousness. From the script I read it was pretty lame. Beta (who is found by Data early in the film) is essentially his "older brother" only he's supremely inferior. And so Data spends most of the film educating him the same way he did his daughter in an episode (great episode) of TNG.

So you see what I mean when I mentioned earlier that this film is a rehash of older ideas, some of which didn't even work if you ask me I didn't care for The Search for Spock

Anyway, the whole thing felt like a copout when I read it.

todd stone

Screenwriter
i think i know who that major charcter is, but im still not looking :)
Is it:
data
?
just say yes todd, or no todd ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks