What's new

Ohio lady lost 162M lottery ticket! (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The lottery is driving people to desperate measures. There is a case going on right now, in the industry where I work (Chicago's commodity exchanges) that illustrates the bad side of human behavior.

A group of traders and clerks formed an informal pool to purchase lottery tickets (I believe for this very same lottery involving the "lost" ticket). They chipped in $10 each or whatever, with the assumption that all the tickets purchased would be the collective property of the group and any winnings would be split evenly. The clerk who bought the tickets made a photocopy of all the numbers and distributed them to the group.

One of the tickets had five winning numbers, resulting in a prize of $175,000. The clerk, still in possession of the physical tickets, claimed the winning ticket was hers alone. When asked about the pool, and the copy of tickets that had been passed out, she claimed that the copy included all tickets but that hers was separate (though there was no indication on the copies). She is basically trying to pull a fast one on her bosses.

What will happen is the traders will litigate her into the ground and even if she somehow prevails, her career will be over.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I've seen similar stories where the group didn't even take the elementary precaution of distributing copies of the tickets. So the "designated buyer" always had the option of buying and extra ticket or two with his/her own money and then claiming any winning ticket as personal property, not part of the "group buy". The whining and lawsuits and broken friendships haunt people for years.

On the rare ocassions I've been involved in this sort of thing there has actually been a letter of agreement specifying who participates, who owns what if we win, chipping in for members of the group who are absent on ticket buying day, etc. One of these pools was at a law firm and a lawyer drafted the letter for us, which I later used as a model at other companies. I think there are similar samples available on the 'net which have been vetted by lawyers in different jurisdictions. It simply isn't worth it otherwise.

Regards,

Joe

John Geelan

Screenwriter
and one wonders why cops are so cynical when it comes to dealing with people's complaints....many people lie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What trash. I'm just sorry the maximum they can give her is 6 months. :angry:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

In the Boston Globe AP story, it said she also wanted to use the money to help out the recently laid-off Cleveland police officers. Hahahahah! Nice try!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well. I'm certainly stunned!

...at her lack of brain-power anyway.

Won't anyone think of the poor officers?

Please. :rolleyes:Can she possibly be any MORE transparent?

Now that her 15 minutes are over, I hope she gets a huge fine.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
*sigh*. Why can't they just put her in the slammer? I'm sick and tired of these people that think they "deserve" to win. Really pisses me off. Why can't they grow up and make money for themselves? Sounds like a two year old in an adult body to me. :angry:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
:laugh: How the hell is she victorious? Other than the fact that she avoided jail-time?

She's been ordered to do 50 hours of community service, and pay a 1000 dollar fine. BUT...she's also been ordered to pay 5,596.71 to pay for all the police, security and other costs in the case. So her lie cost her over 6500 bucks. Sure sounds victorious to me.

Twit.

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks