What's new

Ohio lady lost 162M lottery ticket! (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

Is the receipt tied directly to the ticket in such a way that it is proof positive that the person with the ticket purchased it? If the receipt is generated by the lottery machine, that would pretty much show that Elecia Battle is lieing. However if it's a store receipt, and it only shows she purchased a ticket, it doesn't help. Also, if the receipt shows the purchase of the items Elecia Battle also claimed to purchase, then that could imply the person with the ticket also picked up the receipt since Elecia Battle left it behind. However that'd be a weak claim to make.

Elecia Battle has one thing going for her, that she knew the approximate time of purchase. She can file a lawsuit, although unless she can collect a lot more evidence she doesn't stand a chance of winning, that was my point.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

That's the one thing that puzzled me at first. But she could have learned this information. A couple theories:

1) She's in cahoots with someone at the store who gave her that information.

2) She overheard an employee of the store mention the approximate time the ticket was sold.

This is assuming the store employees have access to that information.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It could also just be a lucky guess. 5-7pm might be prime time for people at minimarts because it is rush hour on the way home....

The plot thickens..... :)

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You drop everything out of your purse and miss one important thing.

You'd think she'd make sure the ticket was in her billfold or with other important papers. I know I would if it was for $160 million.

Brent

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Apparently the police asked the store owner to give them the video tapes from the store surveilance camera so they could see if the woman who claims she lost the ticket was on the tape. But the store owner said the camera is broken.... hmmmm....

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Always sign the ticket on the back. That makes ownership whether you lose it or not....

Otherwise you are screwed if you lose it, which this lady will find out.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Keith Mickunas wrote:
And the woman with the winning ticket also has a previous ticket showing she played the same numbers in the prior drawing. I try not to be overly cynical, but as soon as I heard about a woman claiming she'd lost the winning ticket, I thought of how easy it would be to make that claim once after it's announced the winner was sold in your area. It also reminded me of "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in which former Nazi henchman Martin Boorman claimed falsely to have had one of the five golden tickets (well, he's actually described in the movie as "a Paraguayan millionaire" but the photo used in the movie is actually one of Hitler henchman Borman, who some people believe fled to South America after the war!).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The lady who actually claimed the ticket, supposed has the receipt! I read on a news ticket this morning, that the lady who claimed to have lost the ticket is now suing the lady who actually claimed the prize....

Frankly, I believe this person who claims to have lost the ticket is mistaken about the numbers she played and maybe she "lost" the ticket on purpose, her number picking scheme is very suspect too, I'm sure I could fanangle the winning numbers to match dates of my 3 sisters, 2 parents, 13 uncles, 2 aunts, grandfathers, friends, etc. etc... You get the picture. :)

Jay

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
For a fleeting moment I felt sorry for the obviously desperate woman who claimed she lost the ticket, and thought she shouldn't be prosecuted for the false police report. If, however, she is filing a lawsuit in the face of overwhelming evidence that she is lying, I think she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, which I believe is six months in jail. And her attorney should be disbarred.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
So the woman who actually has the ticket not only has a receipt (which apparently indicates the time & date of the purchase, from what I understand), but she also has previous tickets that display the same numbers?

Meantime, "Battle" can only claim she bought her ticket between 5-7 pm (a time most people would buy, I'm guessing) and can't provide proof of the purchase. The store in question can't provide proof either. (Odd that...very odd indeed.) Further, her way of picking numbers is a little odd, and she has priors for "aggravated menacing, assault, and credit card fraud." Plus her nearly-divorced husband, who she was married to for 13 years, stated "My wife can stretch things out of proportion. Looks like she filed a bogus police report."

I would think that if her almost-ex-husband thought she had a chance-in-hell of actually being the winner, he'd keep his mouth shut in the hopes of cashing in before the divorce was final.

Rather telling, methinks.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Tony, definitely. Now that more details are coming out, it seems to me she was just trying to pull a scam when she realized that it had been a few days and nobody claimed the prize.

Did she really think nobody would check up on that?

I don't really know what she was hoping would happen in the first place. It's not like they're gonna give her the money if she doesn't have the ticket. That's the only thing that makes me think she might have been telling the truth. Then again, she might just be an idiot who didn't think it through anyway. :)

/Mike

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Sure, but if you add the last digit of the current year, which would be a 4, to her hubby's real age in February, which is 45, it becomes 49... See??? :rolleyes:

Jay

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, Elecia Battle has falsely been claiming that her live-in boyfriend is her husband, and using his last name as an alias despite still being legally married to Erickson, so maybe the boyfriend is the 49-year-old "husband" she's referring to. BTW, she isn't suing the winner, she's suing the lottery authority to prevent them from paying out the prize money until her "claim" is considered. Her position (according to her lawyer) is that the winning ticket is her "lost property" and that she did not "abandon" it.

I can never understand these "lost lotto ticket" claims anyway. (This was the second one this week.) The only acceptable "proof" of a winning ticket is the ticket itself, period. Anything else can be faked - especially several days after the numbers have been drawn. (Assuming that she normally shops at the store where the winning ticket was sold it would have been easy enough to learn approximately when the ticket was sold by talking to employees. Most stores in my area put up big signs when they sell a winning ticket, and their sales terminals can tell them when the winner was sold.) Anybody can fill out a bet slip with the "winning" numbers after the fact and claim to have played it.

There is a guy somewhere who was trying to claim a winning prize based on a lost ticket just before the six month claim deadline ran out in the past few weeks - there were news stories about it - and lotto officials in his state took the same position as the folks in this case - the prize goes to the person who turns in the winning ticket, if you lost it, tough luck.

Even worse luck if you refused to pay for it and left it behind - which is what one local lotto player did in my neck of the woods. After exchanging heated words about about another purchase with the store clerk a customer refused to pay for this "quick pick" Cash 4 ticket and threw it at the clerk's face. The clerk decided to buy the ticket himself, and it won that night netting the clerk a couple of thousand dollars. :)

Regards,

Joe

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
She sounds like a Borderline Personality Disorder to me. They have a very strong sense of entitlement.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has knowledge of the Lottery business, I can speak to a few items

No sales terminal will tell you when a winner was sold. They may tell you where the winner was sold (via a message), but not when.

This woman was fishing, she just did not realize the Lottery is a lot smarter than she (and most people) when it comes to this stuff. Integrity is everything when dealing with gambling and I could go into much greater detail on how integrity is maintained, but then I'd have to kill ya'.:D

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Another thing about this is that she filed a (supposedly false) police report (strike one) with a false name (isn't this strike two?). I would think that complainants would be required to use their correct name when filing these types of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks