What's new

Oh, no, this is not in poor taste AT ALL (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
http://www.jfkreloaded.com/

No words, really, especially considering the man still has living relatives.

PS-- Mods, if the topic crosses the line, I apologize. I'm not trying to start a political discussion, or glorify this product.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
The best comparison I heard was asking how the British would react if there were a game where you played a papparazzi trying to chase Princess Di through a tunnel.

Edward Kennedy released a statement, essentially, calling the product disgusting. I'm inclined to agree. There's a difference, IMHO, between games that recreate history like wars in general and games that have you assassinate a President.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
To quote H.L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

Who is surprised by such a thing, given the current state of popular culture?

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I was also truly amazed at this "GAME" ? What are people thinking? Like the twin tower toys that company came out with.....:angry:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There is something wrong, inherently, with profiteering on anyone's death.

No, it's not illegal, etc. I don't favor it be banned or anything like that.

But in my life on this earth, there have been very few moments where all of America got together and spoke with a unified, permanent voice.

When we rejected Yahoo Serious was one.
When we bolted and went against the Metric system was another.

It's time for another one in that list.. to just say "you know what, it's not illegal, but we're not putting one darn dime toward this scottish crap game, and we hope you feel ashamed"

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

The entertainment industry and media do this on a regular basis. How many millions do you think the networks cashed in on with their unending coverage of the WTC attacks? How many rushed out to buy the new Stanley Kubrick boxset within weeks of his death?

Selling products as a tie in to someone's death is nothing new.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
What ever happened to the phrase: All publicity is good publicity?

You're doing exactly what the creators of the game hoped you would do by posting it here. I actually heard about it this morning on a morning radio show in the Philadelphia area. Sure it's in bad taste, but isn't playing a WWII game where you can shoot drunk German soldiers also in bad taste?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree. There was a recent game (based on the Gulf War) where you had to assassinate Sadam....

I may not agree with this game, but wouldn't I be hipocritical to voice any strong opinion on this and not the others?

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I too do not see the point in this game.
I hear there is some sort of cash prize, and it is supposed to act as some form of proof that Oswald could have acted alone, or some such. I tuned it out when I heard about it.

I only really paid attention when Ted Kennedy spoke out against it. I think he is just worried that "Chappaquidick - the game" will be next.

I think those that say if we just ignore it, it will go away are right.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The networks lost millions of dollars with their "unending coverage" of the 9/11 attacks - a legitimate news story if ever there was one. They dropped all commercials for the better part of a week and aired virtually no entertainment shows for days on end. In essence they voluntarily gave up their entire income for that period of 24/7 coverage.

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Plus, really, I loathe corporate greed as much as the next guy, but I am not so cynical as to believe that round the clock coverage of 9/11 had anything to do with it.

Geeez man.

--
H

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
you are kidding, right? this has nothing to do with anything, unless i missed the bonus disc that lets you try to kill mr. kubrick again :rolleyes

CJ

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

That sort of game (the Medal of Honor franchise and its ilk) consists of simulations of specific armed conflicts, but they don't use the names and likenesses of the actual individuals involved in the fighting, to the best of my knowledge. Sure, the original Wolfenstein featured a cartoon cyber-Hitler, but given that Hitler's last surviving relatives have even abandoned the family name, I doubt they care about him being used as an entertainment source. JFK's situation is quite different.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>When we rejected Yahoo Serious was one.
When we bolted and went against the Metric system was another.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I've noticed that our attitude about an assassination often depends on how long ago it happened.
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" is funny to some.
"Other that that Mrs. Kennedy, how was Texas?" would be less comical. So, after Caroline is gone, this would be less shocking?
We know that simulations of the Dallas shooting have been done on location. Serious studies to add to the pile of evidence.
Mr. Oswald and I had the same rifle training, he with an M-1, me, maybe 8 years later with an M-14. He scored 2 points better than me at the range.

I recall looking out a window of the School Book Depository and thinking that it looked like a fairly easy shot. But, I loved Jack and would not be tempted to spend $9.99 to simulate that target. I also would not find pleasure in sneaking through a video version of Ford's Theater and putting one behind Abe's left ear.
As far as I know this is just being sold on line. If I found it in a store, I'd never shop there again.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I didn't say that. I said that I found this product particularly tasteless due to the fact that JFK still has kin who knew and mourn him.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

I disagree the future leaders, military strategists, law enforcers, and lab technicians may play a game like this when they were young and develop their minds with simulators to either outwit, prevent, or stop acts of this nature from happening in the future. I don't view a president as being that much more important than the people he serves (they aren't royalty, religious leader, holy, or deities), but a game like this may be an important asset to those in the secret service to develope a frame of mind to make certain JFK is last president that leaves office in this fashion. I've had a few relatives that have died in various wars like many others and you think one man dying is more important than a group of men, I think your math is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks