What's new

Oh no, the dreaded check engine light is on (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Last weekend I replaced a vacuum line in my vintage 1994 Mercury Sable. The car, which has been sputtering and stalling, ran great. The next day my son informed me that the dreaded check engine light was on.

I started the car up and the light was off. Maybe it was a fluke I thought. It must be something that corrected itself, wrong. Took the car out today and the check engine light began it's warm amber glow. I was pretty close to Autozone so I pulled in, popped the hood, and went in to ask if they would read the code. One of the guys, who had been helpful to me in the past, came out and plugged the code analyzer in. Bad EGR valve.

Where is it and is it easy to replace I asked. It's right here on the top of the engine and yeah, it's a pretty easy job. Off we go into Autozone where he looks it up and sells me a new one for $42.00. After answering all of my questions I headed home with my new EGR valve under the warm glow of my check engine light.

I carefully disassembled some parts and removed the old one. It actually came off without much of a problem. I needed to use a part from the old EGR valve which, after removing the screw, seemed welded to the original part. After trying to remove it, I decided to take it back to Autozone, where Jim removed it for me with a pair of vise grips. A couple questions later I was headed back home to complete the repair on the Sable.

The new part went on as easy as the old one came off. Attached a few lines and I was ready for the big test. Started the car, no light. Went for a test drive to check it out, no check engine light. I believe I fixed it with the help of Jim from Autozone and $42.00.

Why did I write this all down. I'm waiting for my wife to get home to go to dinner and she's late so I'm killing time.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

Good work, Bob... here I thought you were looking for help on your check engine light. Not that I would've been much help, anyway. I would've told you to just take out the check engine lightbulb... problem solved.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well my SRS light is on in my Accord. That really sucks! Looks like I am going to have to pay the $50 to get it turned off as everything is fine I am sure.

It turned on when I went to the mountains. I still wonder if high altitude could have triggered it?

So at least you were able to fix yours!

C. Ryan

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's not unusual for EGR valves to plug up with carbon - they do pass exhaust gasses through them.....

I once just took the EGR valve off my parent's Volvo, cleaned it out, and put it back on. Problem solved.

Ryan, what year's your Accord?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I experienced the same thing on my 1997 Mustang and it turned out that my gas cap was not seating properly and that caused the check engine light to come on. Go figure.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The last (and in fact only) time mine went on... well it's a very long story. Let me supply you guys with a summary: $2350.

Cees

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Got my record beat...$800 for a new head gasket on my POS '93 Grand am.

The light will indeed come on for a loose gas cap, I guess it is designed that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks