What's new

Oh no my Panny Plasma is failing! (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
My 54" Panasonic THX certified display I purchased in 2009 is starting to have issues. Sometimes we'll be watching and the entire bottom half of the screen goes black. It affects every channel and every input so we know it's the display. Another thing it has been doing is it will shut off on its own and the red display light will flash in series of seven. Unplugging and then plugging it back in seems to work for now but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time until it stops working for good.

I've been wanting a larger display anyway's so now might be the time to go for it. With Plasma no longer being an option I'm considering one of the new 4K displays in at least a 65 inch. The only thing I know I want is built in wifi, 240Hz refresh rate, I would like to stay under 2K if I can. I'm not interested in buying a left over Plasma and if I'm going to get a new TV I want the latest technology.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
My 54" Panasonic THX certified display I purchased in 2009 is starting to have issues. Sometimes we'll be watching and the entire bottom half of the screen goes black. It affects every channel and every input so we know it's the display. Another thing it has been doing is it will shut off on its own and the red display light will flash in series of seven. Unplugging and then plugging it back in seems to work for now but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time until it stops working for good.

I've been wanting a larger display anyway's so now might be the time to go for it. With Plasma no longer being an option I'm considering one of the new 4K displays in at least a 65 inch. The only thing I know I want is built in wifi, 240Hz refresh rate, I would like to stay under 2K if I can. I'm not interested in buying a left over Plasma and if I'm going to get a new TV I want the latest technology.
Tread carefully. I am not happy with my new Samsung 65 inch SUHD and have had two different screens with problems. I had a Panasonic Plasma before (not even a premium one, just a TC-P42S2) model from 2009 or so. And I miss my Plasma. If you can stretch for OlED... I'd highly suggest it.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
JeremyR said:
Tread carefully. I am not happy with my new Samsung 65 inch SUHD and have had two different screens with problems. I had a Panasonic Plasma before (not even a premium one, just a TC-P42S2) model from 2009 or so. And I miss my Plasma. If you can stretch for OlED... I'd highly suggest it.

Uh oh which Samsung model did you go with? I just bought a Samsung 65JS8500 SUHD for 1999.00 at Best Buy, it gets delivered on Saturday. I spent a lot of time researching different displays and this one does very well in all the comparisons and reviews that I've read. I did read some issues with the mini connect box but otherwise the vast majority of what I've read was positive.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
Uh oh which Samsung model did you go with? I just bought a Samsung 65JS8500 SUHD for 1999.00 at Best Buy, it gets delivered on Saturday. I spent a lot of time researching different displays and this one does very well in all the comparisons and reviews that I've read. I did read some issues with the mini connect box but otherwise the vast majority of what I've read was positive.
I'm sorry. Look at my two different threads in this forum regarding my 65JS8500 I purchased back in November. Perhaps I'm being too picky, and am not familiar enough with the limitations of this TV. But on other forum I'm a member of, people with earlier builds are showing photos that display no edge bleeding, and near perfect uniformity. Something has gone awry in their manufacturing of these in the second half of the last year.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
JeremyR said:
I'm sorry. Look at my two different threads in this forum regarding my 65JS8500 I purchased back in November. Perhaps I'm being too picky, and am not familiar enough with the limitations of this TV. But on other forum I'm a member of, people with earlier builds are showing photos that display no edge bleeding, and near perfect uniformity. Something has gone awry in their manufacturing of these in the second half of the last year.

Thanks Jeremy and I just read about your issues. I wish I read them sooner. I looked at the TV on display and didn't notice any edge bleed or defects in the picture or screen. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and cancel my order for a refund? I tend to be very picky, especially when I'm spending this much money.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
Thanks Jeremy and I just read about your issues. I wish I read them sooner. I looked at the TV on display and didn't notice any edge bleed or defects in the picture or screen. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and cancel my order for a refund? I tend to be very picky, especially when I'm spending this much money.
Well.. the picture is very nice I will admit. I don't think it would hurt to just keep the order and let them bring it. Maybe you will luck out. If you don't like it, Best Buy will allow a return.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
JeremyR said:
Well.. the picture is very nice I will admit. I don't think it would hurt to just keep the order and let them bring it. Maybe you will luck out. If you don't like it, Best Buy will allow a return.

The problem also is if not this model than which other one is better? They all have some negative reviews with folks having various issues. Really stinks that my current display stopped working. Got 6 good years out of it at least. I'll let them deliver it and we'll see how it goes. I'll post results and let you know if I see the same thing you are seeing. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for yours? Seems like this TV has been marked down quite a bit.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
The problem also is if not this model than which other one is better? They all have some negative reviews with folks having various issues. Really stinks that my current display stopped working. Got 6 good years out of it at least. I'll let them deliver it and we'll see how it goes. I'll post results and let you know if I see the same thing you are seeing. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for yours? Seems like this TV has been marked down quite a bit.
$2,000 around Black Friday. It was a BF special. It has hovered in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. While the price has come down, this is far from an inexpensive, nor an entry level set. This is the absolute top flat model (not curved) Samsung manufacturers, with advanced technologies like 10-bit panel, WCG, "local dimming (cough cough)" , HDR, etc. The expectations should be high.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I would say the only thing you can buy today that would be better for certain is OLED. I will tell you though, that I do believe in some ways if you love nice black levels as I do, and can't afford Samsung's JS9500 or Sony's X950B, that Vizio's Full-Array M-Series has black levels that bury what this JS8500 can do IMO. But you don't get HDR, WCG, and a 10-bit panel. So there are trade offs. Could the JS8500 be a fantastic TV? Absolutely, and the design is such that it should be. My accusation of Samsung is they have a serious quality control issue going on in their Mexico plant for this TV. If you look at avsforum you'll see that since Black Friday, there has been an onslaught of faulty 65 inch JS8500 TV's for one reason or another. The 55 inch and 48 inch displays seem to be avoiding the problems for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks