What's new

I need some input about my LG OLED65E6P (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday morning about 3:00 a.m. ET. I kept getting the following error message on my LG OLED which I bought almost six years ago:

"This app will now restart to free up more memory" The message comes on every 15 seconds and flashes the HDMI 1. It does the same thing with HDMI 2. Because of the frequency of the error messages, it won't even allow me to access the menu without reverting back to that error message.

Several times throughout the day, I tried the OLED again and the same error message would come up. Eventually, the error message would stay on while flashing whatever HDMI input I just activated. Yesterday there was seconds of video from whatever source I was using like DirecTV or 4K player, but that stopped all together. This happened about 3:00 a.m. ET so it was the same time as when I first started experiencing this problem on Tuesday morning.

Anyhow, I just tried the OLED again. I turned on my equipment via universal remote. Everything turned on then the OLED briefly shut off then turned back on. Just like that, no more error message and the OLED played just fine. I tried different inputs and activities from DirecTV, AppleTV, Roku and Oppo 203. Everything worked fine with no error messages on my OLED. I decided to go to my OLED "All settings" and noted the latest software update which was 05.65.03, but have no idea when that update occurred. Also, I noted that my OLED has 11,910 hours on it. Before this morning, I couldn't even access my menu long enough to pull up that information.

My wi-fi network has been kind of wonky lately so I'm wondering if my OLED was in the middle of a software update that didn't take yesterday morning which caused those issues? Or was there an app updating that did the same thing in which it didn't take and caused those issues? Perhaps, that update finally completed this morning and now everything is fine?

Anybody have any theories? Either way, I'm going forward with my plans to buy another OLED and just have this OLED65E6P as a backup display because it's pushing six years of service with about 12,000 hours of use.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would say that is a safe bet and what most likely happened that an update got messed up because of wifi and that is why I use ethernet on all my gear.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It does sound like an app or firmware issue that got fixed. You might want to update your WiFi network. If it's one you set up, there's a great thread recently that prompted me to redo mine, with a powerful WiFi router and another one (wired) set up as an access point. Now I get 500Mb/s pretty much anywhere in the house.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Had the same problem with my LG OLED 65-inch. Was preparing to say goodbye to my 200+ 3D blu-rays when I decided to Google the problem. There were an amazing number of folks with the same issue. So I went through some of the methods mentioned to fix the issue. Not sure what did it. Might have been the unplugging and startup with the physical power button which I had never used in 6 years and didn’t know where it was located. Anyway, back in operation with a great sigh of relief.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Anybody have any theories? Either way, I'm going forward with my plans to buy another OLED and just have this OLED65E6P as a backup display because it's pushing six years of service with about 12,000 hours of use.
Robert,

I would suggest you start with a hard power cycle - meaning unplug it from the wall for ~10 mins to let the capacitors discharge. If that doesn't resolve things, a software factory reset is my next step - as that's usually the best way to try resolving these issues. Can you get it to stay on long enough to do this?

You can flash the latest firmware from a USB stick to ensure it is a good copy following these instructions: https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-...pdate-an-lg-smart-tv-CT10000018-1430510575535

Dodgy wifi/network is a common cause of problems, and flashing from USB is a good way to rule that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks