What's new

Oh NO! (gasp) jury duty!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Now I know I'm not the only one who HATES this crap. Being legally required to serve (or at least show up at the courthouse and sit around for hours) is BS.
I agree.

At the same time, I'd like to serve on a jury some day. In fact, I've been called up twice in the last year, but I've had to get out of it both times. I simply called them and told them the truth: That I am required to be on call 24/7, that I am extremely busy and that I absolutely cannot be away from work to attend jury duty.

They had no problem with this and dismissed me. All it took was one phone call.

If I had the time to do this, I would. I consider it a duty, but at the same time, they need to make it a little easier on you. Going on an hour long drive to sit on your ass for 2+ hours while they play their little jury selection games every day is not my idea of fun. Nevermind the fact that you don't get paid for your efforts. Yeah, my employer would pay my salary but they wouldn't pay my gas bill to drive up there and back each time. Why should I be out $5 a day in gas? That adds up fast. Then the whole remembering to call in bit. There's got to be a better way.

E

Eric Kahn

Nothing will make you think of how serious jury duty is than to be told that your desision decides whether a person lives or dies

in Ohio the jury decides the application of the death penalty after deciding if the accused is guilty of a capital crime. in the case I was on, the accused did not commit a capital crime just enough others to get 73 years from the judge

You should never try to get out of jury duty unless youu have real reasons, it was an educational experience that you cannot get from TV, no matter what anyone says

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Why go through all the time, money and trouble of a jury when we know he's guilty, the cops know he's guilty, hell even his own lawyer knows he's guilty.
Now there's a very insightful point of view. Everybody knows that if a cop arrests someone, that person must be guilty as charged. A police officer would never lie and claim to have caught someone doing something they were not doing. Which is why I simply don't understand why we waste all the time and resources to give a criminal a trial by jury. Why can't the cops simply sentence the perps on the ride over to the state penitentiary? Or, even better, take the miscreant to a field and put a bullet in his or her head. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks