What's new

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
I finally got around to purchasing this. Considering all the stellar reviews and comments on the 3D I was initially dismayed by the excessive amount of ghosting I was experiencing, especially in the lower portion of the screen. Before the opening credits ended, I began looking for a root cause of the issue with my setup.
To make a long story short, I had recently had mounted my TV on a wall bracket in my basement. Location of the studs forced me to mount it higher on the wall than I would have liked. I found (accidentally) that when I stood up level to the display the ghosting was non-existent, so I tilted the TV on the bracket to "level" the display from the perspective of a seated position. The 3d presentation on this disc is every bit as wonderful as everyone had said.

Lesson learned when viewing 3D at home - look at your own setup before being critical of the source material (with the exception of discs like "Comin' at Ya!", which is a headache inducing eye strain no matter what your setup is).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I finally got around to purchasing this. Considering all the stellar reviews and comments on the 3D I was initially dismayed by the excessive amount of ghosting I was experiencing, especially in the lower portion of the screen. Before the opening credits ended, I began looking for a root cause of the issue with my setup.
To make a long story short, I had recently had mounted my TV on a wall bracket in my basement. Location of the studs forced me to mount it higher on the wall than I would have liked. I found (accidentally) that when I stood up level to the display the ghosting was non-existent, so I tilted the TV on the bracket to "level" the display from the perspective of a seated position. The 3d presentation on this disc is every bit as wonderful as everyone had said.

Lesson learned when viewing 3D at home - look at your own setup before being critical of the source material (with the exception of discs like "Comin' at Ya!", which is a headache inducing eye strain no matter what your setup is).

If you are seeing any type of ghosting, it's the device (pj/player/TV), never the disc.
Not only that, but when seeing 3D anywhere, it tends to be the case that the further you are from dead centre of the screen height-wise, the more ghosting you see. Also applies horizontally, but to a lesser extent. When viewing Puss In Boots: The Last Wish earlier this week in cinemas, I reserved seats as close to dead centre in all directions as possible and guess what? No ghosting. Nice to know that tilting works too.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just asked my wife how her viewing was in our home theater, I take the center seat and she sits next to me: She says its fine, even though she’s off center.

I explained to her what ghosting was and she has never seen it. Here’s the odd thing, i’ve never sat in her seat.

I used to see it when I initially bought my pj, but after getting the settings dialed in, never have had a problem since.

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
John - Re:
I just asked my wife how her viewing was in our home theater, I take the center seat and she sits next to me: She says its fine, even though she’s off center.

I explained to her what ghosting was and she has never seen it. Here’s the odd thing, i’ve never sat in her seat.

I used to see it when I initially bought my pj, but after getting the settings dialed in, never have had a problem since.

After I noticed the ghosting was corrected by centering on the height of my display(via tilting the tv in my case), I tried walking from side to side in front of the display; there seemed to be little impact (i.e. ghosting) from the sides.- only when I was viewing from considerably below center did the ghosting appear.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FWIW, I only see ghosting in theatrical screenings when at horizontal extremes [aisle seats], but vertically, it can be as little as two rows from dead centre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks