What's new

***Official Zelda:The Wind Waker - Your thoughts here... Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ok, here's how I managed the 'task in question' ;).

Firstly, it's important to block. Now, that may sound obvious, but when fighting Orca the first few times I totally didn't think to block and he had his wicked swordfighting way with me.

You need patience to do this, and it will take time. You need to be in close to Orca to start with. Attack him and land four consecutive hits (just your B button attack). Immediately hold your right button and shift into block stance. Let Orca attack you, block him, then land another four hits, block, repeat.

The only thing you need to remember is not to keep him backed up against the wall. In between attacks you can block then after Orca's attack move back to the center ring, then repeat the process until he's up against the wall again. Just make sure you're in close enough to make sure all four hits land, or Orca can grab a free hit.

It's pretty much just that basic. If you're willing to take the time and do it like that you can beat him, it'll just take ten minutes or so.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I just realized I am not playing as Link and that's kind of making me feel naked..Hopefully the ending explains everything.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Actually I was a bit harsh on myself, I self sconsciously knew it, of course, but never ackowledged it enough to feel odd. As I see people typing about playing as Link and other crap it just doesn't grasp me, apparently no one else..

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Anyone else notice that Tingle is a slave-driver? heheh
Yeah, I find it pretty funny how he's all chipper and talking about how the island moves by "fairy magic" while the two poor saps doing all the work are obviously tired, angry, and annoyed :D

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I'm having a bit of trouble with Forsaken Fortress Part 2, any tips? Every tmie I try to slide across that second ledge the damn bombs knock me off and apparently they don't "die" essentially, even though they blow up when you boomerang them. They reappear?

EDIT: Figured it out, sorry for jumping the gun.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
For the fight with the guy to hit him 500 times I did not block at all. What I'm gonna describe is taught by him when you first fight him so it really isn't a spoiler. Wait till your sword flashes and then hit A to smack him. It'll register as 2 hits instead of one. I usually would do 3 hits and then back off, he would eventually try to attack and I'd hit him with the counter attack. At the start I found it was ok to hit him 4 hits in a row, but the 4th hit tends to be a longer stroke than the first 3 and sometimes didn't leave me with much time to setup for the counter attack and he would end up hitting me. If he blocks you be prepared for an attack. Its not really that hard and you kinda get in a rythmn. I actually got him to 800 something but got bored even though I wanted to see what happens at 999.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Yeah, your way works fine too Mike, but I find timing the parries endlessly can eventually cause you to miss a couple. My way is pretty much completely "safe" as far as getting attacked goes.

You should've taken him to 999 just to check. So I wouldn't have to at some point I mean ;).

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Well, I've been playing Zelda all weekend, and I can't wait to get off work and play it some more. Some thoughts:
  • The story is better than any Zelda game I've played so far. Normally it's the gameplay that keeps me hooked when it comes to Zelda (or pretty much any Miyamoto game). That applies here too, but the story is really engaging and funny. My girlfriend spent most of the weekend happily watching me play because she was hooked on the story too.
  • The graphics convey a wonderful sense of emotion and personality. Even the enemies have some great expressions.
  • The sound effects and music are excellent. The sound effects fit the look of the game perfectly, and the music pays homage to past Zeldas nicely.
  • The gameplay refines and builds upon the excellent standard set by Ocarina of Time. There's still nothing better than finding the boomerang for the first time in Zelda.

My only real gripe so far is that I haven't felt too challenged by any of the enemies, but that can be said for almost any Zelda. Right now there is no game I'd rather be playing.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
You should've taken him to 999 just to check. So I wouldn't have to at some point I mean
Hehehe...I had already been trying for about an hour before I finally got a rythmn down. I was very bored and wanted to move on :) I'll wait for someone else to do it to see what happens or maybe I'll just be bored one afternoon and go back.

Chris Mannes

Stunt Coordinator
I did the 999 hits.

My technique. I kept hitting him (towards & B) until he blocked a hit, then I block till he hits me once. Then back to rapidly hitting him.

Only got hit once, and that was around 800. My thumbs were tired.

Anyway.

After you hit him 999...

He stops the fight, and starts calling you master. He says he has nothing more to teach you.

Great game...

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Chris, you've gotta be kidding me. That's it!? I would've at least expected another heart container for your troubles.

Did I mention how glad I am somebody ELSE found this out? ;)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I've read some of the spoilers for increasing my ruppees. I'm a bit pissed with the 200 limit because treasure hunting is no fun if you can't keep what you find. I guess I need to look at my Tingle map?

I own a GBA, do I just need to buy the connection cable to hook it up with Zelda, or do I need the GBA copy of Zelda as well? Is it worth it?

Mike D.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Mike, you just need the GBA and connector cable. Not sure if it's worth it or not, somebody else can field that.

If you explore the ocean you can find a couple spots to increase your wallet, and I do recommend you do so at your earliest convenience because you'll find some seriously expensive purchases later on. And not MUCH later either.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The Tingle feature works with an empty GBA. However, the Zelda GBA game is highly recommended on it's own merits :).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
DAMN IT!
I'm stuck, and I'm probally really not stuck, just not looking at it right.

I'm stuck in Windfall Island, can't leave untill I have the Pearl.
Now..do I have to
collect the 20 gold feathers?, to go any further?

If not then can someone hint me:)

P.S. The GBASP is great to have and use with Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks