What's new

***Official "The Amazing Race 4" Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
See, that's what you're missing. The cabdrivers said they knew the way and spoke English. They lied
Come on that's BS! If the cab drivers don't understand English, all they can do is nod their heads to whatever is being spoken to them. I know, I've been to enough foreign countries (including New York...) to know when someone doesn't understand a word I'm saying.
If C&R had a clue, they'd have known before leaving with said drivers that the drivers didn't know. Showing the drivers written directions and the driver looking puzzled was enough to know.

And C&R were some of the least respectful of the teams. They were the worst in Korea, and not much better in India. Even John and Kelly had a bit more respect, even during their most frustrating moments...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Come on that's BS! If the cab drivers don't understand English, all they can do is nod their heads to whatever is being spoken to them. I know, I've been to enough foreign countries (including New York...) to know when someone doesn't understand a word I'm saying
Were you in a race around the world, looking to get going faster than ASAP? I think that's the difference in perceptions right there.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
J&K were biggots towards C&R. Major turn off.
It seemed that way, right? But here's an excerpt from an interview with C&R from The Advocate website...

Tell me a little bit more about your relationship with Jon and Kelly, because they were at one point digging at you guys for being “fags” just to egg each other on. What was that about?

Reichen: When we went on that 26-hour train ride in India after the Supremes [Monica and Sheree] were eliminated, you know, we really made a close, close friendship with Jon and Kelly, and that was definitely not portrayed in the editing and in what the viewing public saw. You saw a fraction of the funny jokes going back and forth, and one of the regrets I think I have from the editing was that it didn’t show this amazing, really funny friendship that we had developed with Kelly and Jon. I mean, the gay jokes were flying every five seconds—if you could have really seen how it was, I think it would have been so fun and humorous for the viewing public. But they [the producers] were trying to make out like we had a rivalry, which really wasn’t the case.

C&R Win The Amazing Race

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They didn't mngle and socialize, and they were very competitive. I didn't see them being high and mighty or being jerks.
That seems to be the thing people are forgetting in this thread. It is a race, a compition. Not simply a vacation.

While what C&R did may have seemed insulting, it was the smart thing to do in a race where you need to get somewhere before another person. This show shows that a wrong turn can lose you a lot, including the race. That's why I'm glad they won, because they seemed to be the team that had things together for the most part. That's why they won.

BTW, I thought contestants (particularly Tian & Jaree) were much more rude in the crowded trains of India, where people there COULD UNDERSTAND ENGLISH. That was far worse than anything C&R did during the race.

Jason

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Regarding the Korean cab driver incident, here is what happened.

C (to the driver): Yeouido Island?
Driver: Yeouido...
R: Yeah
Driver: Ohhhh...
C: You know how to get there?

As C&R are getting into the cab -

C (to R): Does he think he knows?
R: Yeah, it doesn't get any better than that.

Once in the cab,

R (to the driver): Yeouido?
Driver: Ok
C: You know?
Driver: Ok

At this point, C&R realizes the driver does not understand any English and C goes into his tirade.

The broadcast never showed C&R asking the driver if he understood/spoke English, they assumed the driver did.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Who asked about the driver speaking English, and it turned out he didn't then? I thought some team did.

Either way, the driver didn't know what the hell he was doing, I'd be pissed too. But I do agree that complaing that they can't speak English if they never said they could isn't right.

C&R were never very likeable, but I didn't dislike them either. They just seemed to be playing the game more intensely than the others (from what we were shown).

GordonL

Supporting Actor
That was J&K. They got to the cab stand first and asked if the driver spoke English. When they realized he didn't, they decided to try to find one who did. Unfortunately, the second driver also did not speak English but knew enough to take them to a hotel to find someone who did.

Either way, the driver didn't know what the hell he was doing, I'd be pissed too.
It's not that the driver didn't know what the hell he was doing, he didn't know what C&R was yelling at him - fast! fast! left! left! The driver was able to get them in the general vicinity, which under the circumstance, was the best one could hope for.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Jeff, yes and no. I have been around the world for business and have had many time where my flight, buses or taxis were late getting to meetings and other places by certain times. To me, it doesn't matter whether or not you're late or whatever reason, there isn't any reason you should (or have the right) to be rude in another country where they don't speak English as a first language.

You wonder why the French dislike Americans? There you go....;)

Bob

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I can't believe so many people have been missing out on this show. I remember watching the first episode of S1 thinking the show would be mediocre, and hard to get into, but by the end I was hooked, and have said since the first show, that this is the best reality show on TV.>>>>

Agreed. Judging by the hosts reaction on a radio interview, we may very well get an tar5.

I too, hope for dvd releases as well..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I hope CBS dosn't wait too long to bring it back this time around, because it took me a while to get into it again, as seems to be the case with all reality shows. I completly ditched Mole 2, even though I liked the first one alot. I just couldn't get into it again. Thankfully TAR seems to have avoided this fate, despite not being that exciting a race like last years, or #2's...

I hope they change the rules to liven up some of the Tensions between the teams, or to encourage more team interaciton. for instance, Teams can pool money together to get better flights, or can upgrade to Buisness class if they want, in order to throw off the morale of the other teams...

Stuff like that to help liven things up a bit if teams tend to get bunched up alot like they did this time aroudn..

I really wish that someone would repeat the shows on another channel like they did last year. I missed a few shows this year, because of the new timeslot and night. Plus a new show during the summer tends to get forgotten in the shuffle of things...

Anyway, I hope they release a DVD called 'The Production of Amazing Race', or commision the Discovery or Learning Channels to do something as a promotion for TAR5. Could bring the ratings up even more. Where do we have to write to get this started?

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
I missed out on this great thread during the airing of the show. I agree it's overlooked by too many TV viewers and is one of the best out there. Always loads of fun to watch - I can never get to sleep after this high energy race from place to place and I love seeing all the new destinations each week.

However, I have been hearing that CBS doesn't have much interest in continuing The Amazing Race. Entertainment Weekly hinted at that, and some postings on the Internet mentioned writing to CBS to get another season of the show created. From what I've seen, they aren't even asking for applications for TAR 5 at this point.

I found this petition online that you all might be interested in.

SAVE THE AMAZING RACE http://www.petitiononline.com/saveTAR/petition.html

Hope it helps bring the show back for another season. Maybe the Travel Channel will pick it up. That would be a good idea.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The word on the street is that the ratings were well up for the last episode, and that they're doing an "all-star" edition for TAR 5

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
All-star as in celebrities, or people from previous races? I can imagine the celebrity version, where they have valets with them, fly first class, & only get $10,000 to spend per leg. Plus the challenges would be things like going without makeup for an episode or spending a night in a 3-star hotel. :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The new TV Guide reports that Reichen has a small cameo in an upcoming episode of Frasier as the "Impossibly Handsome Man." :D

Also reports he has hired an agent, an acting coach, and hopes to land a role on a soap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks