What's new

***Official "The Amazing Race 4" Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Imagine what must have going through the minds of the two teams when they got close to border, you'd think they would have some sort of checkpoint by that bridge to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I too figured this wouldn't be an elimination round, so it was hard to get really involved in this episode.

I felt bad for the two teams who managed to "sneak" onto the earlier flight, only to fall behind when their cab driver couldn't speak english. :)

One question: are the producers gett "creative" a lot with the editing? It felt very weird that Jon & Kelly made it to the subway station before Chip & Reichen did, since they left quite a bit later and seemed to be stuck in traffic longer. It was a nice litle twist, but it felt like they were cheating with the editing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The octopi eating bit was really really gross. I have no idea how Chip and Reichen got through those plates of octopi.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The editing does tend to mislead the viewers quite often.

It seems that the language barrier is quite bad in South Korea. Chip & Reichen spent the extra time looking for a taxi driver that spoke English and it paid off for them.

Heading into the DMZ in the taxi with a driver that didn't speak English was just plain scary.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
These last two episodes remind me of why I got into this show in the first place... I still say they need to do update shows for past teams, alla I beleive Survivor does. Or at the very least, save some snippet time toward the end for a quick update.

I'd love a coffee table book on the production of this show...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was great. :D I wonder if that was true or if the driver was just full of it.

I couldn't believe that even the people at the hotel seemed to have problems communicating in English. Is there any other "international" language such as french, spanish or german that would be more widely understood there?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
So it turns out Jon did make the right call to stay in the taxi. I wonder if Kelly acknowledged that fact? It did help that the route marker was at the top of the station, and easy to find if you came from a taxi. They might not even have gotten to the station first; R&C may have wasted a lot of time looking for it from the bottom up.

//Ken

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I too figured this wouldn't be an elimination round, so it was hard to get really involved in this episode.
I wouldn't say that. Sure, I figured nobody would get eliminated (we're at the non-elimination, elimination, 2-hour finale point), but the absolute insanity of what was going on certainly kept me paying attention. Seriously, I think that the "swim underneath a foot of ice and continue when the doctor says it's okay" roadblock is the first thing that would have eliminated me without a try.

I think they should have used one of the quotes from "Strong Stomach" as the episode title - either Chip's "are we allowed to vomit?" or Dave & Jeff's "man, I hope the delicacy is pizza and beer".

I've got to admit, this race started kind of blah, but is getting pretty good as they go into the home stretch. If CBS does order a fifth Race (which doesn't look likely, with no calls for contestants yet), I think they'd do well to knock the number of teams down a bit - it took too long to get to know these guys.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
It looks like the episode in two weeks is only one hour so the finale is going to be split up again this year like the TAR1 was, I guess CBS wants to keep TAR on as long as it can, especially since its really started to jump up in the ratings the last couple of weeks.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Having been in South Korea I can totally relate to all the traffic and language problems that the contestants had with the taxi drivers. I had several stop and ask for directions myself. It was always interesting getting from the hotel to the office. Generally once we got close to the office I would have to provide directions. As much as I hate to admit it and sounding totally like an arrogant American, Chip and Reichen did the right thing insisting on an english speaking cab driver. It certainly paid off for them.

I was eating dinner during while they were eating and I almost barfed myself. "..they are sticking to my teeth and tongue.." ICK!!!

BTW things are better in Taiwan and almost normal in Singapore just in case you are thinking about going over there :)

Laters,
Jeff

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> As much as I hate to admit it and sounding totally like an arrogant American, Chip and Reichen did the right thing insisting on an english speaking cab driver.

What's arrogant about wanting someone they could communicate with? :frowning:

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Damn, the clowns are gone, even after Team Gay pulled a 35 minute penalty.:thumbsdown: I swear, the more I saw the clowns the more I thought they were a class act, working together, not arguing, and gracious after being told they were out.:frowning: Now I couldn't care less who wins.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
What's arrogant about wanting someone they could communicate with?
:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with wanting someone they could communicate with but the way they expressed themselves was totally disgusting. Getting angry at the natives just because they don't speak English? Have you ever seen a (pick your nationality) person come here and get angry because we don't speak their language? It's no wonder the world hates Americans.

Too bad the clowns got eliminated, they were a class act. I guess I'll have to root for Dave & Jeff now.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Have you ever seen a (pick your nationality) person come here and get angry because we don't speak their language?
If I had told (pick your nationality) person that I spoke their language because I was more interested in taking their money than providing the service they were asking for, then, yes, they probably would get angry. And rightfully so.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I guess the pressure is finally getting to Chip and Reichen. They seemed more uptight than I had ever seen them last night. Reichen driving while holding the piece of paper in his hand that said "go on foot" was priceless even if not as hilarious as the 2 Harvard lawyers arguing over the definition of "walk".

Too bad the clowns got done in by the guy lying to them about the flight status, if the first dude had come clean, they could have made the flight everyone was on.

Also funny how everyone is always worried they are behind when everyone is not on the same plane.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think that travel person the clowns called was just incompetent, I don't think that person maliciously lied to them about the flight possibilities. The clowns should have done more footwork into finding out all the possibilities since they were in the frikkin' airport!

It going to be hard to root for anyone in the final three. The goats get my vote by default. (Why are they called the goats by the other teams?)

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
They are called the Goats because they gave goatees.

I was sad to see the clowns go. From the start, they were the most likeable team. I had a bad feeling when they did an ominous slow-mo shot of Al hanging up the phone with the travel agent.

On the Early Show this morning they said they finished about an hour after Chip and Reichen(sp?), so if only the penalty had been 60 + 5 minutes instead of 30 + 5, they would still be in it.

I don't know who to root for now.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Andy, you answered my question, I was wondering how close was it between Chip and Reichen and the clowns. Apparently not that close! I guess that the clowns ditching their packs wouldn't of made much a difference.

I still think that teams must have their backpacks with them when finishing in the area. No more ditching the packs and running to the finish, just like any adventure race that I do, you must have your pack with you at all times. I think it should be OK to say put your pack down outside the finish line as it isn't always beneficial (see the one episode where some of the contestents left their packs on the boat before retrieving the marker up the hill and the boat left with their packs on it so they couldn't just get on the next boat and had to wait for the boat with their packs).

Great episode!

Jay

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Patrick, I wasn't talking about the phone person, I was talking about the gate agent who said the flight was goin out on time, when th eplane was not even at the gate and every other flightin and out of the airport was delayed, but this one was showing as not delayed. Now, he may have just been real optimistic but if he had told them then that the flight was delayed earlier instead of them having to ask a stray pilot wnadering around, they would have been in a much better position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks