What's new

*** Official "TALK TO HER (HABLE CON ELLA)" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I will watch any Almodovar film. Any of them. He is a great, great storyteller and his films always turn old ideas into something fresh and funny. However, in my life, I have never seen a Almodovar film within 200 miles of me so this looks like another film that will have to wait for a DVD release.

Bruce

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Even as this film is getting more press than the usual Almodovar's film, the closest it is to me is Chicago...250 miles away. So, I edit my first post ;) I am holding out hope that the Historic West Theater in Green Bay shows this as they've been getting much better at bringing in more films. :emoji_thumbsup: I'm just holding out hope.

Bruce

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My local art house theater has been showing the trailer for Talk to Her for over a month now. I'm not sure when they're going to get it (they generally don't know either), but I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. I'm glad that you guys have all enjoyed it as much as you have!

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Those of you in the Central Florida area should head over the The Enzian Theater and see this wonderful movie. Almodovar may be the most unique voice in cinema today.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that the film itself is getting the recognition it deserves. It is truly one of the best films of last year. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see it again later this week.

~Edwin

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful, haunting movie. However, I might need to see it again, as I am not sure how the events in Benignio's life relate to the writer's, with who we spent an equal amount of time.

Also,

This is one instance where I really wish it didn't end ambiguiously. I feel an emotional payoff is really needed, given the subject matter.

:star: :star: :star:

--
Holadem

RafaelB

Second Unit
Holadem:

I got the impression that the Writer and Javier's girlfriend ended up together at the end.

So, it's not so ambiguous to me. :)

Rafael

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a discussion thread, no more need for spoilers, but for those who haven't seen the film, please read no further posts, lest you spoil the film for yourself.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What an unconventional way of meeting the one you may or may not be destined to meet.

On our first encounter of a non-comatosed Alicia, we find out some of her likes/preferences. Benigno finds this out, and tries to become the person that Alicia would like, but in the end, it is Marco who had to go through a relationship with the lady bullfighter, with whom he never truly connected with, to find the one who shares his interests (travelling, the performing arts), though at the expense of tragic fate of Benigno.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here are some comments I had posted earlier on this film:

Solitude, loneliness, abandonment and survival – that’s how I would describe the four main characters in this film and certainly some of the themes that Almodovar touches on.

Benigno’s life is one of solitude and sadness. By taking care of his mother while he was still young he hasn’t learned anything else other than doing that routine. He has developed very few social skills. Even his choice of career is one so that he can specifically look after her. The kind of love he grew up with and has learned in life is one of communication, which has always been one-sided or without reciprocity. So when he commits a despicable act later in the film it is not for the audience to judge his actions but rather to understand how it all came about. It is an unforgivable act but hardly anything to do with a deficient mental condition.

Marco’s life is one of loneliness. As a journalist, he is in constant move. His life is fulfilled only if he can share it with someone that he loves such as the times he spent with Angela. He cries while watching a live performance theater because besides it being a moving piece, he cannot share its beauty with someone that he loves. So when he had to break it off with her due to her drug problems, he was devastated. But he found happiness again after meeting Lydia. However, this relationship would turn out to be short-lived and, in the process, he finds out about Lydia’s secret.

Lydia’s life is one of abandonment. First, it was the death of her father then the break off with her lover. Since bullfighting is a male dominated sport, she has to always prove herself thereby creating an emotional distance between her and other men. This would change when she meets Marco who learns to understand her but would only last until a life-changing event.

Alicia’s life is one of survival both before and after her accident. She’s been motherless since she was a child. While in a coma and impregnated, she fights for her survival. This will continue until she wakes from her deep sleep.

In the midst of all this, Almodovar throws in a silent film. “Shrinking Lover”, as it is called, is a metaphor for an act that is to occur off-screen.

Talk To Her is a very fine film with lots of layers, which requires more than one viewing to fully absorb it. Some of its strengths come not from what is shown onscreen but instead from what is communicated through words.

~Edwin

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Talk To Her (Hable con ella)" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Talk To Her (Hable con ella)" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Nick C.

Second Unit
I got the impression that the Writer and Javier's girlfriend ended up together at the end.
I recall earlier in the film, during a scene in the hospital there was a flashing yellow text saying "Benigno Y Alicia" (Benigno and Alicia), then at the end, at the show, red text flashed to say "Marco Y Alicia" so I suppose this hints at a possible relationship

but then again, if they do indeed get together, it just seems a bit sordid to me. after all, she was the point of infatuation and love for his (best) friend, who commits suicide to be "with" her. now, he's taken over his apartment and his girl...

speaking of infatuation, was there any evidence pointing to Benigno really "raping" Alicia? I don't recall any admission of guilt, or innocence really, but then again, I only remember he being asked once--by Marco, on the phone--but brushes it off. it appeared that as caring and in love with her (or at least, his limited image of her) as he was, he couldn't possibly commit such an act, not to mention he's had 4 years worth of care-providing opportunities (aside from the point of the night nurse taking a few weeks off), and yet waited until that point? I guess I just kept waiting for good ol' Hollywood paternity tests on the dead fetus to prove his innocence ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks