What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official "SPIRITED AWAY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There were some annoying digital artifacts. Many, actually. I think we just sat too close. We are front/near front row people, but for this, middle or back would have been optimum.
Welcome to the compromised world of theatrical DLP, circa 2002. DLP needs at least 4x the current resolution before it is going to look acceptable up close.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
For those near me: the Edwards near South Coast Plaza is showing the subtitled version.

~T

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you call the theater showing a subtitled print; I went up to the Century in Evanston (advertised, along with McClurg, as the only place showing the subbed version, and a much cheaper evening out than McClurg thanks to free parking) and the print was dubbed. My friends and I stayed, because we drove almost 90 minutes to see the movie, but we were refused a refund after we got out. The computers, the "manager" said, were "off."

I've taken the matter up with Century's customer service, needless to say.

Doh!

I should add, though, that the dub was not nearly as bad as I thought it could be. Even better than the Mononoke dub, IMO. Still, I'd love to see it on a big screen in OSL.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I had fun with my friends this evening watching the R2 DVD. By the way, it's not DTS 5.1...it is DTS ES 6.1 discrete.

I'll be curious to see this on the big screen, especially if we get it in DLP.

- Steve

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who has never liked an anime movie before, I just wanted to say that I loved this movie.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Thoroughly Blown away by this film! I want to see it again (caught an OSL at the El Capitan), but probably won't be able to get back for it, so much of it was so incredibly splendifirously wonderful! There were so many fantastic moments I can't begin to list any single favorite (though the appearance of Haku at Granny's house is a strong front runner)

This, This, this is the best film I've seen this year, better than Signs, better than Minority Report.

I'll post something else when I've calmed down (and it's been three days since I've seen it!)

Adam

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I am downgrading my overall box office take for Spirited Away in North America from $25M to $10M. I don't know why Disney is taking its time in releasing this film to a wider audience but it lost a big opportunity to do so during the last two weekends.

The release schedule for both mainstream and arthouse films gets really crowded in the next few weeks leading up to the Thanksgiving holiday that I'm afraid this will totally get lost.

Too bad.

~Edwin

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
does any one know how this is being rolled out? I'm telling everyone to go see it, I convinced twocouple to seek it out, and my raving convinced my best friend that it was indeed necessary to make the three hour drive to atalanta to see it. My mom and sisters are very anxious to see it, and all other relatives are curious as well. What is the logic in burying a film that appeals to any demographic instead of releasing it wider? burying a film like Below I can understand, it's a limited appeal film, that the studio probably feels the market has been glutted lately (so why did they finance then is my question). It's reprehensible to essentially shelve a potentially good movie that doesn't conform to the standard marketing dogma, but it is understandable. Spirted Away though is a broad appeal film, with an outstanding trailer (don't know about tv spots) and an incredible film to boot, there is no justice in not giving this film a release it deserves, especially when it could do good, but it's never given a chance.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Adam, all I can say is keep an eye on this page.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/sen/theaters.php
I'm in the same boat right now (Cincinnati). I don't have time to drive 4 hours to Cleveland right now (or even on Oct. 11 when it finally opens there). I can't believe there isn't a booking either right here or even within 2 hours of me yet (Columbus, Indianapolis, Lexington, etc). I wonder how many prints they have struck!

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Saw the subbed print last night, and I was blown away again in a different way. My sister, however, was pretty tired and dozed in some parts (Embarrasing, but true. I of course didn't know that she was dozing until she told me in the cab ;)) During the cab ride home, we discussed the main differences between the dub and the sub, and the most striking was due to ONE single fact: the voice actress for Chihiro/Sen. The other characters did not have as noticeable differences between the two actors (Some may disagree here...)
The main difference was that the dubbed Spirited Away had a bit more "energy" and ends up "rushing" you from event to event. The subbed version gives a more leisurely pace from beginning to end, and gives lots of food for thought. In fact, both of us felt that the dub felt like a COMPLETELY different movie from the sub. IN NO WAY is the DUB INFERIOR TO THE SUB (OR VICE VERSA).
Regardless of which version you see, go see it. One of the best movies out in YEARS, and a telling message to Disney to release Miyazaki's works here in the US.
EDIT: Last night, I saw trailers for MORE Disney movies that are to be released in November... I just don't get it. Doesn't Disney WANT to make money on all of their films ? Or are they actively seeking to ruin Spirited Away's take for their own (often mediocre) films? I just don't understand....

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the comparison, Woo. I'll go see the film again dubbed (because I just can't wait for the disc), but I've likely been "spoiled" by the OSL presentation.

Several lukewarm reviews have been circulating in the wire lately. Several of the reviewers were "overwhelmed" and/or "confused" by the hordes of periphery characters and plot-lines. One reviewer complained that the film was akin to a visual assault and thus the whole enterprise "falls flat" in striving to be so imaginative. He also added that "because most Americans, unlike their Japanese counterparts, would not know the identities of the various gods, they will not understand their significance." (not a direct quote, just a paraphrase).

~Steve

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Sigh. You'd think that Toronto, a very large and very multicultural city, with lots of very large screens, would get
A. more than 4 theaters showing it and
B. at least 1 subbed print.
argh.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw Spirited Away (dub) this afternoon at my local Cineplex (one of 5 screens in Houston). The house was half-full, about equally divided between families and adult film buffs. I have to say, I was worried when I found I was seated behind some VERY chatty kids, but they shut up when the film started. In fact, the entire audience sat in rapt attention throughout.
Several of the reviewers were "overwhelmed" and/or "confused" by the hordes of periphery characters and plot-lines.
one of the tykes behind me said admiringly "She sure can!!" :D
I thought it was a wonderful film. It's so rare these days to sit in a theater and realize that you have never seen the story being told before. My favorite sequence was probably the train ride - there was some breathtaking imagery there.
Sub or dub, if this comes near you, don't hesitate to see Spirited Away. And if you have little ones, take them with you. You will be helping to build tomorrow's educated movie audience!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Kids Movie enhanced for older audiances...

This is probably one of the first movie that many will label a Kids Movie that I just didn't feel embarassed to see (Or own on DVD even)

The biggest problem was that it was dubbed. But the DVD better have the original Jap track... I compared the OSL vs the Dub on the Metropolis DVD and the dub was actually bareble but no match for the OSL+Sub.

I hope disney doesn't pull a Double-Sin on this one and release it Dubbed only and P&S only...

So far, this looks like a worthy contender for 3rd place in my 2002 Top 3 Films behind Kissing Jessica Stein and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm sure I will be in the minority here, but I saw the dubbed Spirited Away a few days ago, and while I enjoyed it, I was somewhat disappointed.
Perhaps the overwhelming positive hype affected me, but I thought it was not as great as many here think it is. I am a casual anime fan but I enjoyed Akira, Mononoke and Metropolis more.
The animation was hit and miss, although it was more hit. The story was very familiar and derivative of many other childrens films, even a bit dull at times, but it had enough imagination and originality to keep my attention throughout.
I liked it, but in my opinion, it is far from being the masterpiece that many are saying it is.
Still, I would recommend it to animation fans.:star::star::star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks