What's new

*** Official "SPIRITED AWAY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
For those of you in the Vancouver area, Tinseltown 12 is showing the dubbed print, but it is on the best screen in downtown Vancouver (at least this week), and the presentation was near flawless.
While I would prefer the subtitled version (of which I've seen, and is much superior) to be more available around US and Canada, it's still a wonderful, challenging animated film from Miyazaki.
Jason

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I will be in the minority here, but I saw the dubbed Spirited Away a few days ago, and while I enjoyed it, I was somewhat disappointed.
I think the majority here haven't even seen it yet.

You might be in the minority at Rotten Tomatoes (over 80 reviews, all positive).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Actually Michael, I'm in the majority according to the Rotten Tomatoes scale since three stars is a positive review.;)

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to see people are finally starting to discuss the film and not the old "subs vs. dubs" workhorse. :D
Saw it opening night here in Dallas, and was completely surprised and charmed. Being _very_ familiar with Miyazaki's previous filmography, I was actually very surprised to watch a movie so unlike anything Miyazaki has done before yet so full of his style and magic. I gave up trying to figure out what would happen next about a third of the way into the film and just enjoyed the ride. And what a ride it was.
One thing that really seemed to shine in this film is Miyazaki's absolute mastery in portraying emotion and hidden thoughts without having to browbeat you to do it. There were many instances when Chihiro would glance or cast a gaze in a certain direction, and I felt I knew _exactly_ what she was thinking, although all she really did was turn her head and look. Best example:
When Chihiro is being taken to her workplace for the first time, she is taken through a pig pen on the way. As she walks through, she turns and looks over the various pens. I could practically hear her thinking, "Are my parents in there?" even though the entire sequence only lasted but a second or two.

The dub, BTW, is very servicable. I found myself forgetting that this was supposed to be a Japanese movie midway through, instead of constantly wondering what each character was supposed to sound like in its original language. I'm still going to try and find its original langauge version, though.
Favorite bits:
The return of the My Neighbor Totoro dust-balls in a more prominent role (okay, so they were soot balls instead of dust balls here. Big difference.)

When Chihiro finaly figures out Haku's name as they fly over the countryside (I wondered to myself, though, if it would might not have been wiser for her to wait until they _landed_ before pulling that stunt).

Anything with the baby in gerbil form. There was a group of ladies in the back who apparently thought this was the funniest thing in the entire universe. They could not stop laughing hysterically every time he showed up on screen, even to the detriment of hearing some of the dialogue.

Side note: The beginning of Chihiro's ordeal reminded me a _lot_ of my experience as a third-year medical student, first day on the wards. No one wants you, everyone thinks you're worthless and stupid, but you have to work because something will happen to you if you don't. :D
Anyways, I will _definitely_ be seeing this again in the theater at least once more, and will be looking (i.e. salivating) for the DVD. Now I wanna hear what the "real" movie sounds like, too.
Another side note: I found it highly significant that Roeper as well as Ebert loved this film. Roeper seems to have some vendetta against all Japanese animation, but had to concede that this was an amazing film.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Raphael:
Do you, by any chance, run the T.H.E.M Anime review site? Are you THAT Raphael? Because if you are, I want to thank you for that site and the often intelligent and well written reviews of many a show.
Anyhow, for those of you that have it in your area GO SEE IT. If you want to find out where it plays, check Michael St. Claire's link to www.nausicaa.net and hopefully there is a version out there near you.
Tino:
Just curious: what threw you "off" from the movie? Was it your expectations? Was it the language you saw it in? Was it the plot? Maybe if you are a bit more specific, we can discuss the flaws/merits of this movie.
Note that this movie is NOT the be all and end all of anime. But in terms of both its great art, its enduring message and themes, and just outright goodness of Miyazaki-san's works makes this a must see. I doubt it will garner awards per se with the way Disney is handling its release but this is a good movie with a lot of heart and soul.
Try the following movie. Grave of the Fireflies: Collector's Edition is a must for all film lovers. No other film can have the emotional impact of this movie, and when I get the new DVD with the new transfer, I will be a happy man indeed (with a large box or two of Kleenex, I might add.) Watch it with a loved one, and have something happy to put in afterwards....

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Woo Jae:

Yes, I'm _that_ Raphael. :b Or at least, I _was_. Ever since my graduation from ASU and starting back up in school here in Dallas I haven't done much reviewing. Thank you very much for the encouraging words, though. The site is still very much active back at T.H.E.M., and in very capable hands.

Back to the film: I was a bit surprised at just how intense the film was in places. One of my classmates turned to me at one point (I think this was where No-Face was vomiting up everything and everyone he had eaten
) and said, "I would never take my kids to see this movie!" I don't know if I would go quite _that_ far, but I was a bit surprised.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
*bows to Raphael, acknowledged founder of THEM*

*warbles* "It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all..."
Hmmm... I assume that as an avid watcher of anime, that was par for MY course.... :P After seeing PHOTON: THE IDIOT ADVENTURES, and EXCEL SAGA, nothing is too shocking for me. Haven't seen Ninja Scroll: Resurrection (and plan to avoid that title)
but not too many things faze me.
I didn't find that sequence out of place during the movie. In fact, it only heightened my appreciation of the kind of job Sen had to do to survive and grow. But there probably many parents who won't feel that this "added" realism of the scene is appropriate for their children. As far as I am concerned, it is an integral part to showing the main character's strength and resolve.
The audiences that watched it didn't seem to be too revolted or shocked - they seemed mesmerized by the screen and the movie. (So was I for that matter :wink: :D )

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not that it matters much to anyone here, but I have to say that I'm _not_ the founder of THEM, who's existence was in place long before I was around ASU.

Anyways, I guess I didn't find the aforementioned scene revolting or shocking, but was just using it as an example. The whole movie was packed with intense, rather jarring scenes that I found fascinating. I can see how some uninitiated could find them disturbing, however. I think everyone should try and see this while it's still in the theatres, though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
*Note* Spoilers are NOT required in discussion theads.
Woo
Remember, I did like the film. Some of the problems I had with it was that it just seemed a bit too derivative. I was hoping for a more original story instead of one that reminded me too often of Alice In Wonderlandand The Wizard Of Oz.
The story as presented also failed to connect with me emotionally. I wanted to care more about Chihiro and the other characters but unfortunately I didn't.
Also I thought the film was a bit drab, and not as colorful as the story warranted. And as I mentioned previously, I thought the animation was uneven. Choppy in some parts and wonderful in others. And the few instances of CGI were distracting.
It was a bit long, with a few dull stretches. A little tightening would have helped tremendously IMO.
That said, I still enjoyed it. Though I thought it was derivative, I still liked the story of Chihiro's journey, the imagination of many of the characters and the level of detail in many of the scenes.
I just wasn't Spirited Away.;)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply Tino

I do agree that there were some slow moments and uneven pacing. The fact that the dub felt faster and the sub felt slower help me notice that as well. The action scenes were intense, as required, but the in-between moments were a LOT slower so that may add to a viewer to feel it was paced differently. That said, it is these quiet moments that stand our for me in the movie more than the action sequences.

For me, the quiet and the scenes where nothing much happens helps to focus your attention on the details of the animation. Chihiro's train ride to Zeniiba was an example of fleshing out a world without action or too much motion. Reminded me of another Studio Ghibli work - Grave of the Fireflies [Tino, you HAVE to see this... you won't regret it!] Chihiro/Sen looking out over the ocean before Haku returns being chased by Zeniiba's paper birds also was a great moment where for once we are not so much led along by action but rather given a moment to contemplate or think about Chihiro/Sen and what has occurred to her up til then.

There were LOTS of funny moments besides the Gerbil/Baby Bou and the Fly/Harpy like creature that I felt were well animated. Chihiro's disgust upon tasting the River god's gift for one or the way the characters evinced their distaste at the "sludge monster" that came in. There was a certain wonder in me at these scenes that is hard to describe.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. And I will remember that the discussion threads are spoiler free since only those who have seen it will discuss the movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Woo
I am in the middle of watching Grave Of The Fireflies right now. So far it's a very deep, moving film.
As for Spirited Away, I can certainly understand your comments as well as others that love this film. I will try and see it again in theaters, perhaps a subbed version, to see if I like it any better. I will be picking up the DVD of course and I hope it is a SE.:)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Tino:
Glad to know you got it. I ordered mine from DDD and hopefully will have it in my grabby grubby hands soon. :P
Have a box of Kleenex on had - you will need it. ;)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
There were LOTS of funny moments besides the Gerbil/Baby Bou and the Fly/Harpy like creature that I felt were well animated.
Definitely, definitely. Although the moments with the gerbil/animal companions were the crowd pleasers, elicited the hugest response from the audience. Everytime they appeared on screen an explosion of laughter would swell up from the audience. My favorite (and funniest) moments were the creatures in the background wobbling across the bridge, just the small details not meant to be dwelled on that reflected such imagination, creativity (for background characters) that I had to laugh. The dust mites were great too.

I am absolutely doing my best to relate to anyone who would come in and have expectations that are somehow grander than the experience the film provides (again, very subjective, I am biased, I am a spirited away 'fanboy' now, only without the bottle glasses, messy hair and prog rock tshirt)...

:b sorry to offend if anyone here looks like that...

~j

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Having seen both the subbed version (with a very responsive crowd) and the dubbed (with a cynical crowd used to scatalogical/pop culture humor), I can say that I was very disappointed in the dub, which really -- and particularly with JSPs responding in the audience -- came across as quite frequently laughable.

The audience squirmed in their seats during contemplative or dialogue-heavy scenes, yet had eyes glued to the screen (and mouths shut) during "faster" scenes. Just shows Miyazaki's visual power... and the culture-shock which I think I may have underestimated. I don't think Ma & Pa America will "get" this movie.

One thing about the criticism about the animation... japanese animation has a more "jittery" look to it ... whereas american animation is much smoother. we're used to the "smooth" look but it's no more valid.

The quiet dialogue (e.g. after newly-named sen sees her pig-parents) + unnecessary voice-overs explaining on-screen plot action ("he must be a dragon! . . . . he's going up there to the window! i have to go up and find him! etc.) just sounded silly in english. it was as if the translators were terrified that the audience would be completely lost, and thus added all sorts of explanatory dialogue to pad (read: make redundant) the scenes.

Maybe it's just my imagination, maybe the sub had these moments as well... one thing for sure, it sounded better in Japanese. I didn't expect to be this turned off by the dub, which by all accounts was supposed to be fairly excellent (I was OK with the Mononoke dub).

~Steve

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hmm...

Sorry to hear that, Steve Y. I was at the opening night in a appreciative audience that was sorta packed for the dub (got stuck with sort of poor seats (the theatre had three aisles, with me in the left and the middle) but it seemed to me that the audience was delighted with the movie. The sub, which I saw about 2 1/2 weeks later was in a sparsely populated megaplex with the subs, and it was a good experience for me (felt a bit tired and had the coughs... urgh)

Maybe Edwin Pereya was right - American audiences would not "get it" and so it will gross even less than what Edwin said. Sort of sad - but I will be happy as long as Disney releases the Ghilbli works in OAR with OSL on DVD.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Another $611,047 was made last week, which is now an average of about $6000 per theater. Not bad. It opens in a few more theaters next week, which includes Cleveland, where there are a few friends of mine waiting for this to come out.

Jason

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, Disney is doing their usual bang up job on promoting this film. I would like to see it but thanks to Disney and its asinine limited city release I'm not going to be able to see this film theatrically.

I watched a trailer for one of their films "Tuck something or other" three times in a half hour stretch. I have seen one -count em- one trailer for "Spirited Away" broadcast once since the film opened. Good job Disney!! I'm beginning to see why so many people think poorly of the Disney organization. Miyazaki might as well have not bothered trying to get his films released over here with the kind of promotional job that Disney Corp. has done. I really am beginning to think that the poor promotional job Disney is doing for Miyazaki's films is deliberate.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Of course it's deliberate. They know that Miyazaki's more talented than their entire team put together, and if it really got out, he's a THREAT to their home market. Don't forget, Kiki's delivery service sold over 1 MILLION copies, and got "Children's video of the year"

Mononoke didn't do too shabby either, especially given projections they had for it.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
It really makes me mad enough to refuse to purchase their products - but the way they release THEIR own products in limited release makes it hard NOT to buy their stuff.
Can't help but be angry at Disney's asinine release schedule for Sen to Chihiro. I mean it only broke 100 theatres this week. THIS WEEK! I mean 4 weeks into it's release and it's only been released into 138 theatres only and has made 2.7 M already. Grr! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks