*** Official "SPIRITED AWAY" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by James Zubb, Sep 10, 2002.

1. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I just got back from this at the El Capitan. it was most definately not sold out, there were 20 or so empty seats in the balconey that I noticed. I don't know why they stopped selling tickets.

The dub is well done (and I hate dubs), I have yet to hear the OSL so I have no idea how far they vary from the original. Everything does fit each character though fairly well. I thought that Daveigh Chase did an very good job as Chihiro. Haku was a bit bland. The parents are kind of goofy sounding, but they are only in it for 10 minutes so not that big of a deal. The sound mix is much better than what the trailer would suggest, no overpowering vocals which plagues far too many dubs.

The film itself is very good. There are a lot of funny moments. The visuals are beautiful. Miyazaki said that he made it for the 10yr old daughters of his friends. I think that there is plenty for everyone to enjoy, but I can definately see how girls might like it more than boys.

Just a slight warning, the movie can be kind of creepy at times, lots of ghostly images and strange creatures, so it might scare some very young kids. Nothing is realy there for scare value though so it shouldn't be too bad.

I stink at reviews so I will just say I enjoyed the film very much and suggest everyone go see it. The trailer doesn't really do the film justice. I think they need to lose that voiceover guy.

2. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

I was there last night also and was speechless afterwards. In short, this film is one of the great fantasy art acheivements (IMHO), to be compared favorably with Alice In Wonderland et. al.
    I hated the dub, but I hate all American dubs of anime (or of any foreign film).
    One thing concerns me. I am eagerly awaiting screenings of the subtitled prints, but I found this review (link below) which suggests that the subbed prints actually use dubtitles. If this is true, a very heartfelt [​IMG] !!!
    http://anime-tourist.com/article.php?sid=122

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since the English translation was written prior to the existance of the dub, there is no possible way they are dubtitles. They probably just didn't realized that there are times where background voices are translated, or when dialogue has to run over into another title to fit it in. That's how it on the DVD anyway

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I really really want to see this movie, and I really really want to see it in a theater. But I will not watch the dub.

I had assumed this meant waiting for the DVD (I know it's already out in Japan but I'm poor and can't afford to pay that much for a movie I haven't even seen), but Stephen's post has piqued my interest. Is there a reasonable chance that a subtitled version will also be coming to my local theater?

5. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Jeff, thanks, that's quite a relief! [​IMG]
    Carl, apparently all "major markets" will be getting the sub and dub from what I hear, but I don't think the specific distribution plans have been made public yet.
    It's amazing how many people in the line for the film last night were saying "I wish they were screening the subtitled print tonight" or "Oh no! I thought we were seeing the subtitled print tonight!" When Miyazaki said in the Q & A that he hadn't even seen the English dubbed version, many in the crowd applauded. How long 'till Disney gets the message about how these films should be released? [​IMG]

6. Jeff Kleist

They were forced to show a subbed print in Toronto by the festival. They SHOULD have showed the sub for the fan screening.

*Sigh*

I just called my local arthouse. They seem to think they will be getting a dub print, and I will be shocked if a mainstream theater gets a sub

Philly may be screwed AGAIN

7. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

The El Capitan will be showing the sub-titled version twice a week: at the Thursday and Sunday night 7pm shows.

As far as sold-out shows go, theatres often undersell a movie to allow for different mixes the number of people in one party. Also, perhaps if the seats were reserved, people who bought tickets couldn't make it, or the theatre was allowing for special VIP's to possibly show up.

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm wanting to see this now, after a regrowing effort to watch anime and having read a book on Miyao Miyazaki by Helen McCarthy? Oh well, here's to being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

After seeing this in its original form at the San Francisco International Film Festival back in April, I was afraid that it will not be shown again by Disney other than in its dub version. I'm glad others will be seeing this in its original form after all in the theaters.
    ~Edwin

10. Michael St. Clair

11. Jeff Kleist

Yes, they were applauding that he hadn't seen the dub

As reported befor, the majority of the audience does not want to hear an "adaption" or the "actors" that were chosen. They want to see the film in its original form.

Miyazaki has known Lasseter since before Toy Story, and they have great mutual respect for each other (watch for the Pixar lamp homage in SA!) Lasseter was also instrumental in getting Disney to stop sitting on the Miyazaki catalog

12. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Jeff Kleist

15. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

When Lasseter commented at the SFO Film Festival about the dub version being worked on, no one seems to be upset by that. Maybe because Lasseter prefaced his comments with "We should thank Disney for bringing Sprited Away in its original form at this festival" and "I am personally involved with the English dub version currently in progress". [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

17. Jeff Kleist

The key to making widescreen AND subtitles a big thing is to make it seem like something special
    "SPIRITED AWAY: Miyazaki's latest masterpiece presented in the original Japanese with English subtitles for the ultimate experience! The way HE intended it! The way YOU demanded it!"
    It doesn't matter if "you" demanded it or not. It's called marketing [​IMG]
    Most Japanese do not understand that their true hardcore audience are so adverse to dubbing. Yu Suzuki was shocked when he found out how reviled the English version of Shenmue was(course the Japanese got the "English" version as a SE when we got squat, and now MS is stripping the OSL that the UK Shenmue 2 enjoyed)

18. Michael St. Clair

I guess if a mother let a known crack addict babysit, you wouldn't hold the mother accountable for the abuse of the baby? [​IMG] Disney is doing what Disney does. Ghibli could have taken this film to Dreamworks and/or insist on no dubs. They did not. They have no problem with dubs.
    OK, I get it. You guys believe that eliminating dubs is the key to growing anime in the USA, and that dubs are what is holding anime back.
    I think you are totally wrong.
    Might as well agree to disagree and forget about it.
    Again, write a letter to Miyazaki, telling him of his mistake.

19. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

20. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator