What's new

***Official SHAUN OF THE DEAD Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This is the Official Review Thread for Shaun of the Dead. Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues, please use the Official Discussion Thread.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Very solid zombie movie, with plenty of laughs to go around. For the most part, you're laughing with the main characters, not at them, so that's a big positive going for this movie. If you're into zombie movies, I think you'll really enjoy it.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
I am unable to clearly understand the British attempt of speech. Perhaps with subtitles I could get more out of the dialog that to me sounded like a monotone continuous babbling of nonsense. I had the same problem with Dog Soldiers and 28 days.

I love zombie movies but this prerequisite didn’t translate to enjoyment for this movie. Picture Norm from Cheers with his side kick Clifford fighting zombies, sounds good to you doesn’t it? Thought so, go see it you’ll love it.

I love Return of the Living Dead and thought that was funny, I feel the same way about Evil Dead but I don’t like Shaun of the Dead.

This film looks good in my opinion and I wish that a real zombie movie would look like this.

I believe I will be in the minority on this one but I couldn’t wait for this movie to end.

C-

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
LOL... I think you need a little British blood in you (or in my case, both a half-Brit family and far too much Monty Python/BBC shows when you were a kid) to fully understand the dialogue. The DVD should have an American english translation, that would be great (and hilarious). I found myself laughing in places where I don't think the rest of the audience understood what Shaun & Co were saying, heheh.

I thought the film was great... and it's gonna make a nice double feature with Dawn of the Dead when it makes it's way to R1 DVD. The film takes the same rules as DotD and adds a faster visual style and magnifies the inherent zombie humor, that was also present in DotD, up to 11. I was really surprised at how great the zombie and gore effects were! It was really awesome for me, being a British film, horror, and comedy fan. Go and see it! :D

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I am with Dave on this one. I did not think it was very funny, and there was no terror what so ever. I think the Wayans brothers could have done a funnier parody. This movie had a few moments that were funny seperated by long pauses, and I guess the Harry Potter guy was subtle English humor.
Over all, this movie did not live up to the hype from its own commercials, nor from the internet forums.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was terrific. I'm having trouble figuring out why people wouldn't have liked it. My wife and I had the best time. I suppose if you are unfamiliar with the dryness of British humor, or were expecting the "Wayans" magic, that this would be a disappointment. The accents were equivalent to anything you've heard in "About a boy", "Love, actually" or any other Colin Firth/ Hugh Grant romantic comedy (or, long story short, they're not too bad). Certainly nowhere close to "Trainspotting". I would draw parallels to Peter Jacksons DeadAlive in terms of character and story development.:emoji_thumbsup: Plus, I appreciated all the clever homages to all the greats. This was not a parody of a zombie flick. It was an actual zombie movie. I think the trailers speak for themselves. I thought the movie delivered everything it promised. If I had to complain, I would say I thought the end of act three came a little abruptly. My wife and I gave it 4.5 out of five. In conclusion, your unfamiliarity with British film may "exacerbate" your displeasure of this movie.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I was having a blast watching Shaun of the Dead, until it took an unexpectedly dark turn near the end. The movie bounced back shortly after that, but the sequence in question still left a sour taste in my mouth. Still, overall, a very funny zombie romantic comedy.
smile.gif

star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
¼ out of :star::star::star::star:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Just watched it tonight. I thought it was pretty good, especially after just watching and being extremely disappointed in another hyped cult movie called Napoleon Dynamite (what a bore and I'm Idaho and have actually done those FFA competitions).

That was my problem too. Where the hell did that come from? At least it redeemed itself with the ending.

I had a bit of trouble with the brit talk but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks