What's new

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Craig's information about M&K subs is correct. Our MX-125mkII had a 12dB/octave crossover to 125Hz, then it switches to 36dB/octave. BTW, isn't the THX crossover standard 80Hz @ 12dB/octave?

Michael

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen Phipps,

Perhaps you can answer this or Mike from ROTEL could.

Can you turn off the sub totally for 2-channel music and leave it on for HT through the On Screen Menu's? What I mean is are these settings available for each input or surround mode and are saved so you can set and forget them?

Many places in this thread refer to turning the sub down to its lowest level which is not quite the same as off. Given the signal is split in analog pass though mode I would want to turn the sub off through software rather than the physical switch on the sub.

My current receiver lets me turn off the sub in the speaker settings but it is for all formats and this is very annoying as I prefer to listen to 2-ch music without a sub and need to turn it on/off each time.

Thanks

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The Rotel manual for the 1066 says that the sub output level can be configured for each mode and input so I think that's a big yes :).

J

John Morris

Am I missing something with this whole discussion?

Everybody knows that you can just send your PCM signal from your CD player to the Rotel digitally, and then fully control the crossover process between your speakers and the subwoofer... right?

And, everybody realizes that the value of the analog bypass mode is just for those folks who wish to pass the superior analog signal of their source unit(either CD player, or turntable)directly through the Rotel, either with a digitally extracted subwoofer signal or without one... right?

Well, if so, then where are all these speaker blending questions coming from? What are folks wondering about?

Whatever your previous receiver or preamp/processor did during 2 channel CD playback, the Rotel can do it too...right?

BruceD

Screenwriter
Craig,

Actually above 125Hz, the filter shifts to 24dB/octave but the cabinet and driver add another 12dB/octave rolloff.
You are correct, I should have read my manual instead of using Widescreen reviews subwoofer issue. I use mine with the internal xover turned off.

John,

The discussion about sub output in analog-bypass mode is that it's always on unless you specifically turn it off when listening in 2-channel analog-bypass mode.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone taken delivery of the "fixed" models? I would love to start seeing some in depth reviews. The RSP 1066 hasn't made it to Australia yet and I am keen to check it out.

J

John Morris

Well, no one in Houston has the fixed units yet?
Guys, this is a brand new unit and some patience must be shown with ANY new unit. Providing features is easy. Providing those features along with very good sonics is not easy. A modern, low cost, pre/pro which sounds good with a low noise level is not an easy undertaking. So, why don't we give Rotel a chance to make the change and then see what they have to offer for each of us.
Nowadays, regardless of the amount of testing and beta testing of a unit, the diversity of systems will always somehow result in problems which are revealed when a new unit is released.
Like I said... hopefully, patience will pay off... :)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Unless I've missed something, I'll repeat my initial observation that no one seemed to notice.

I don't think it's been established, at least from the e-mail that began this string, that Rotel has "found'' a problem. From my reading, the reported problem wasn't repeatable in any of the units they sent out. The e-mail did not say Rotel was sending out fixed units. I didn't see any acknowledgment that there is a "fix.''

Correct me if I'm wrong.

J

John Morris

don't think it's been established, at least from the e-mail that began this string, that Rotel has "found'' a problem. From my reading, the reported problem wasn't repeateable in any of the units they sent out. The e-mail did not say Rotel was sending out fixed units. I didn't see any acknowledgment that there is a "fix.''
Mark: If I read correctly, Rotel said that is was due to an internal ground problem which was solved by soldering a single lead.
I wouldn't be suprised if any unit, no matter how complex, still had some problems which needed fixing upon release to the vast complexity of systems. What is most important is not releasing your product early, but instead, releasing it with the least amount of problems when it hits that complexity wall... ;)
I would think that all manufacturer's try to make sure they get it right before releasing it to us...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Stupid Q's regarding the Rotel vs the Outlaw (uh oh :) ):
1) The Rotel only does analog 2 channel bypass on the CD inputs, right? (Why not on all of the inputs?) In other words, I'd have to hook up my turntable to the CD inputs to get the effect, and then switch back and forth between the digital in for my CD player, and the analog ins for my turntable, right? And, I guess I'd be out of luck for wanting to run my tuner in 2 channel bypass... The Outlaw has 2 channel bypass on all of the inputs, right?
2) The Rotel does not have any kind of bass management for the 5.1 analog inputs, right?
3) The Rotel does not come with Dolby Digital EX (or, THX Surround EX)?
4) The Rotel only gives you resolution of 5ms (or 5 ft) when setting distances/delays for the rear channels?
There may be some others, but I'm trying to keep the pros/cons of these 2 units straight.
(Video passthrough, bandwidth, switching? I run direct from my DVD player to my TV, but maybe important to others though.)

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
Kevin,

1) The 1066 does the analog bypass on ALL inputs.

2) I do believe there is bass management on the 6.1 (Rotel)...not 5.1 (Outlaw) channel input. Please specify what kind of bass management you mean, and I will let you know for sure.

3) No, the 1066 does NOT come with "actual" DD EX or THX EX, but it does have its own decoding, which in a manner of speaking, cna be considered a generic type of decoding, accomplishing the same tasks. How similar you ask? I'll leave that up to your ears and the experts. The unit is also upgradeable, maybe this will be one of the possibilities down the road, who knows. But then you have to wonder if there is actually a difference. I had THX in my previous Pioneer Elite VSX-29TX, the Rotel's Cinema EQ seems to do the exact same thing.

4) Yes, the Rotel only gives you resolution of 5ms (or 5 ft) when setting distances/delays for the rear channels. I will also leave this one alone, as I don't know if your ears would hear a difference of 2.5ms or less. My B&W dipoles are on a wall 6.5 feet away from my ears, and I have no complaints.

Hope this helps.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
AFAIK the Outlaw 950 has a switcheable 80hz filter on the analog pass via toggle switch.

Rotel does not.

T.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
1) I am also under the impression that the 2 channel analog stereo bypass is *only* for the CD input on the Rotel. That's what all the posts were above (how it splits the input and processes the sub feed digitally).
2) Your post echoes what I think I know too, Tony. Outlaw yes, Rotel no. And, the Outlaw 5.1's crossover is in the analog domain, which is "double plus good," IMO.
And to be fair, here's 2 *for* the Rotel, but one more against it: :)
5) Rotel doesn't have a tuner. A plus in my book because I want to supply my own. (Late '80's Nakamichi ST-7 Schotz tuner.)
6) The Rotel *does* look better.
But, 7) Rotel has non top of the line AKM 24/96 DACs, the Outlaw has top of the line Cirrus 24/192's. But maybe we'll have to wait for measurements and/or direct comparisons to see whether that matters or not.
And 3 questions:
8) The Outlaw has 2 digital *outputs*, 1 coax and 1 optical. (I have DAT and CD-R/RW.) How many does the Rotel have?
9) The Rotel is said to be software upgradeable. But... Has any Rotel pre/pro/receiver in the past ever had this capability, *and* has it ever been utilized by upgrades released by Rotel?
10) The Outlaw has the Cirrus Extra Surround (?) modes for 6.1/7.1 output from 2.0 - 5.1 sources. I think the Rotel does have an equivalent?

W

Will

I have a question regarding crossovers for the 5.1 SACD/DVD-A inputs. I know the Outlaw has an analog crossover that is fixed at 80 Hz. My question is, does either the Outlaw or the Rotel offer digital crossovers for the 5.1 SACD/DVD-A inputs where the frequency is NOT fixed? I imagine this would involve an extra D/A conversion since the 5.1 SACD/DVD-A inputs are analog. But I am asking if either pre/pro offers the options of multiple crossover frequencies which include time alignment adjustments, all in the digital domain, albeit with extra D/A and A/D conversions?
An analog-only crossover probably would not permit any time alignment adjustments, but a digital crossover probably would permit time alignment adjustments.

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
Kevin,

1) I seem to recall saying the Rotel DOES HAVE the analog bypass on ALL inputs.

2) I don't seem to understand what you mean, if you could tell me how to check, I will let you know.

5) I kinda wish it had a tuner, but I have not missed it yet.

6) Yup! The 1066 does look better.

7) I dunno, it's probably up to your ears. But the DAC's aren't the only factor involved in sound reproduction. If the Rotel sounds better, regardless of the DAC's or vice versa then it does, plain and simple. There is already a thread going on this issue, which to the best of my knowledge has not yet been determined that one is any better sonically than the other.

8) The Rotel is the same, 1 coax, 1 optical.

9) Good question, maybe I'll ask Mike. But another good question is, if an upgrade isn't needed, why have an upgrade?

10) I have not toyed around with 6.1 & 7.1 as of yet because I do not have rear center speakers, but by reading the manual, I would have to say yes, it does allow decoding of 2 - 5.1 channel sources into 6.1 or 7.1.

FYI the 1066's rear & rear center channel levels are both set up seperately, unlike the Outlaw.

I also found out from the manual that the wayy to set up the channel delays is to measur the distance from the furthest speaker, not change its setting, but change the settings of all the other speakers according to the distance from the furthest speaker minus the distance to the speaker you are adjusting.

J

John Morris

FYI the 1066's rear & rear center channel levels are both set up seperately, unlike the Outlaw.
The 950 allows you to set up levels for each channel independently. That means that I set up levels for 7 speakers plus a subwoofer. I believe the Rotel does the same? Correct?

But, if you are really referring to setup of each channel with regard to time delay/time alignment, then the 950 allows for setting up the Front L/R, Center, and rear surround speakers in 1ft/ms increments.

If I am remembering correctly, the Rotel allows for setting up the Center, Left Rear, Right Rear and a single Center Rear setting. Increments for the front speakers are in 1ms and the rear in 5ms jumps. Strangely, I can't actually remember, and the 1066's manual does not say anything about settings for the front L or R speaker with regard to time alignment. Possibly, Rotel is assuming that your front L/R speakers will be the ones farthest away from your seating position, and therefore, all other speakers will be setup based on their relative postion to your seating area?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Steve- OK, cool, thanks for the responses. Here's some more: :)
2) Bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs (for DVD-A and SACD). I am positive that the Outlaw has it (selectable either off or 80 Hz crossover, in the analog domain, so Will got it that there's no time alignment here), but I don't think the Rotel has *any* (digital or analog) bass management on the 5.1 set of inputs. ?
1& 8 & 10) Cool, obviously didn't know that.
Another Q:
11) Someone posted a snippet from the Rotel manual on the delay settings previously. But I didn't see any mention of the sub. Just, like Merc mentioned, that it is assumed (I think) that the mains are the farthest away set of speakers, and you adjust all other speakers wrt them. Any clarification on where the sub fits in? Now, it is possible to independently adjust the phase of the sub to get it to match the "distance" to the mains, but I was just wondering if there was a setting for it in the software.
11b) In my opinion, the fact that you can't adjust the distances (delays) of the rear L + R + C speakers separately on the Outlaw, is effectively the same thing as the poor 5 ms (or 5 *feet*) resolution possible on the Rotel.
My rear center is 4 ft behind, and the rear L + R's are 6 feet away (at an angle). I'd be stuck with 5 ms for all of them on the Rotel anyway.

J

John Morris

Anyone have a new 1066 yet? Our local dealer doesn't have any and now doesn't know when he is gonna get them in? He said he still might get them by mid April, but he can't guarantee it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks